Jackson Hole

nikkistevej

DIS Veteran
Is there a difference between Jackson and Jackson Hole- are they the same place. Which place is closer to Grand Tetons? And what is there to do in Jackson Hole- my mom and her sisters (all over 60- so no crazy stuff- LOL) are going next summer and wanted me to ask. Thanks for any responses.:goodvibes

As I understand it, "hole" is just an outdated term for a valley. Thus the town of Jackson WY is located in Jackson Hole, a valley at the base of the Grand Tetons.

DH and I are also over 60, and will also be visiting the Grand Tetons next summer! I've been looking at Jackson and wondered the exact same thing about Jackson vs. Jackson Hole! Glad to have that cleared up. I've looked at some possible lodging options, but that seems to be a very expensive area. We will probably look for some place to stay other than right in town.

We ended up having to book a super 8 in jackson hole. We decided about 3 weeks ago to go, and almost all the hotels were booked ( I leave tonight) So i would recommend booking hotels at least a month or more out if you want a nicer hotel. ( i sure hope the super 8 is ok)

We're in our 60s and just got back from a trip. It's so beautiful. They do call the town Jackson, and the airport Jackson Hole. When you go there, you can see the huge valley and there's an elk wintering grounds right across the highway from the airport.

We visited both Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs and there were plenty of boardwalks, paths, overlooks, ranger programs to attend and enjoy no matter your age or your walking ability. There's lots of high adventure things to do, of course, but we had a wonderful vacation, 6 nights, 4 in Yellowstone, and 2 in Grand Teton. Our flight was out of Jackson Hole on Tuesday at noon. We left Coulter Bay in GT around 7:30 AM, and had plenty of time to sightsee at overlooks and visit the Moose Visitor Center (which is not to be missed!) in time to make our flight!

You can also pay for some scenic tours in the yellow sightseeing buses they have. We did one of those as well, the Teddy Bear tour and went to the Lamar valley where we saw many many bison, deer, and some of us got to see the wolf activity at a bison carcas that was 1/4- 1/3 mile away.

We have every intention to go back!!!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Whitewater rafting is fun. We attended a wedding in Jackson a few years ago and many of the 60+ crowd joined us on a raft ride. If that is too much for them, most if not all of the rafting companies offer a scenic float trip. There are also many shops and restaurants in downtown Jackson. There is a "shoot out" in the town square most evenings. There is a rodeo. There are also several chuckwagon dinner show that they might enjoy. As others have said a visit to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone are not to be missed. My family was there in June so I did a lot of research before we went so let me know if you have any more questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter