Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I contacted my agent at the DVC Rental Store. I think she is trying to figure something out.
Depending on dates of travel, doubtful there will be any availability unfortunately. Availability is very tight.. As a renter, you have no control over your reservation. All conversations, issues, have to be handled through the owner. There clearly are risks as renters that you must assume with the process of rentals. :(

How do room renovations affect one's stay? It's an honest question. I realize there may be construction sounds during the day (9am-dusk), but what else would be happening that is making so many of you want to switch resorts?

How do room renovations affect one's stay? It's an honest question. I realize there may be construction sounds during the day (9am-dusk), but what else would be happening that is making so many of you want to switch resorts?

I think it is more the pool renovations that have people upset. With the main pool closed that only leaves the smaller pool at Kidani Village which would require walking or taking a shuttle to get there.

They usually work on a floor at a time, so you won't have a room next to you with noise, but you could have rooms above or below with noise.

Sometimes there are controlled power cuts to allow them to do certain work on systems too.

As other posters mention, it's the pool thats the deal breaker!

I spoke to someone in guest services. The lady was very nice but said that only the member can call and ask for an accommodation but in her personal opinion she didn't think we would get anything because we were informed of the renovations and should not have booked the room if we didn't want the inconvenience. I told her that we booked months ago and were never informed. She said all owners were notified of the upcoming renovations and it was their responsibility to let the renters know. Unfortunately we were not apprised of this and now we are just simply left to deal with it. :(
I’d bet 100% your owner was not informed, I wasn’t. The ‘nice lady’ at guest services was flat out wrong, the hotel side may be assuming DVC notified the members - but that is incorrect.
I’ve said this before - but DVC is a Timeshare and occasional refurbs are to be expected. As an owner of a resort you know you’ll be staying at your resort for many years, so if one year you run into a refurb, you know that for the next several years you won’t.
Renting your points is not forbidden by DVC, but DVC owes renters zero. People rent points to save money - but there are disadvantages, one being DVC member services will only deal w/ members, and since our MFs pay for member services I don’t want the phone lines tied up w/ renters calling to complain - your contract with your owner should spell out whatever remedies you have, but even your owner can’t book you elsewhere if there’s no availability.
As a DVC owner I can say with 100% certainty I have never been informed. Thankfully the points I rented out for this year, everyone wanted to stay in Kidani so I hope my renters are happy!
I own at AKV and booked our late Nov. early Dec. Jambo stay right at 11 months. There was no notice on the member site, there was no notice attached to my membership. I have received no notice via email or snail mail. I’m still waiting for DVC notification. If I had known when I booked I would have booked savanna view for a few points more to assure my villa didn’t overlook the pool refurb. (I had the spare points) or possibly I’d have used my VGF points and stayed there instead this year.
It sort of depends on what they are doing and where they are working. When they were refurbing BWV a couple of years ago the only thing I noticed was when they knocked on the door w/ new mattresses for the beds :).
I do hope they put in new mattresses on the sleep sofas during this refurb, the current ones at Jambo are awful. I hope they don’t remove the spa tubs, though, I’m quite fond of those :)

I received a phone call today from Disney responding to my email. They said the pool closure is set for Sept 4. I was her 5th call of the day regarding AKL refurbishments.

I told her my concern was not the pool but the room refurbishments set for “mid August”. She verified that it’s a soft refurb (linens and tv change). Beginning with top floor.

My last day is August 12. I’m hoping “Mid-August” is after I check out.

two drawers plus the closet - we hang clothes and store some on shelf in there. Beds are lifted. Hopefully your luggage fits. I've had to store suitcases alongside the bed by the slider before.

two drawers plus the closet - we hang clothes and store some on shelf in there. Beds are lifted. Hopefully your luggage fits. I've had to store suitcases alongside the bed by the slider before.

Thanks for the head up! I was expecting a chest of drawers like at the Yacht Club.

I wasn’t going to bring our hanging closet organizer (6 shelves) that we use for our stays at Pop, but I see now it’s going to be necessary. I store all the kids clothes in the organizer, and bring 50 wire hangers for mine and Hubby’s clothes. The organizer is a lifesaver! Can’t take credit for it, someone on the Pop Resort thread recommended it. Although, with Pop’s renovated rooms it no longer works there.

Thanks for the head up! I was expecting a chest of drawers like at the Yacht Club.

I wasn’t going to bring our hanging closet organizer (6 shelves) that we use for our stays at Pop, but I see now it’s going to be necessary. I store all the kids clothes in the organizer, and bring 50 wire hangers for mine and Hubby’s clothes. The organizer is a lifesaver! Can’t take credit for it, someone on the Pop Resort thread recommended it. Although, with Pop’s renovated rooms it no longer works there.

Can you share the organizer? Sounds great.

You can see the room very well on oyster.com's site https://www.oyster.com/orlando/hotels/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge/photos/standard-room/
Thank you for the haNging shelf tip. I may use it on my solo trip. 8 days to go:p

Can you share the organizer? Sounds great.

It’s a six-shelf collapable canvas closet organizer. It connects to the closet rod with Velcro. I picked mine up during the college dorm room summer sales for $5.

It’s similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R6RWNX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?psc=1

I also use this IKEA shoe organizer for the closet. It takes up no space in the suitcase and was worth the $5!

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00300032/

I’m all for organizing the hotel room!

The TV change fits with what I was told back in December by the worker who came to our room twice to replace our tv (both times). They are removing the HUGE TV stand that is currently in rooms with the big old TV's. The new TV's are the nicer Samsung TV's. The rooms will feel like there is more room with the big TV stand gone also.

The TV change fits with what I was told back in December by the worker who came to our room twice to replace our tv (both times). They are removing the HUGE TV stand that is currently in rooms with the big old TV's. The new TV's are the nicer Samsung TV's. The rooms will feel like there is more room with the big TV stand gone also.

Do you know what the new tv stand looks like?

Since the only two dresser drawers are in the tv stand, I’m curious what they are replacing it with.

They usually work on a floor at a time, so you won't have a room next to you with noise, but you could have rooms above or below with noise.

Sometimes there are controlled power cuts to allow them to do certain work on systems too.

As other posters mention, it's the pool thats the deal breaker!
When I was at the Grand Californian last year during the renovations, not only was the pool closed but they were painting the room two doors down. The noise didn't bother me, but the paint fumes did. Unlike at Florida, they didn't do anything at all (even pins) for the guests there.

I returned home today after an 8 day stay and the fabric of the pool looked fine, as did the pool bar area etc. However, after 10 days of really torrential rain, with the sun loungers and chairs not drying out at all and the umbrellas leaking because they were old and past their best, the furniture around the pool areas was looking in bad shape and in need of a major up-grade. When the sun is shining, you give the resort a pass on this sort of thing, but when the weather is miserable day after day, you start noticing and commenting on this stuff. I should say that the internal elements of the hotel were looking great. The flooring in the main lobby was totally re-polished during my stay and was gleaming. Corridors, walls, carpet etc. were in great condition and I heard many people comment on how comfortable the beds were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter