Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I think it is more the pool renovations that have people upset. With the main pool closed that only leaves the smaller pool at Kidani Village which would require walking or taking a shuttle to get there.

I don't think Jambo resort guests (as opposed to DVC Jambo guests) should assume that they will have access to the Kidani pool. DVC and Disney Resorts are totally separate entities. The Kidani pool is paid for from DVC annual membership fees and regular resort guests have no clear rights to use the facilities they are not paying for. It is quite possible that the regular resort guests at Jambo will have no legitimate pool access during the pool refurb and that they will be offered free use of the water parks instead. At the very least, you should get something in writing if you are told over the phone that you can use the Kidani pool facilities, because it may not be true if DVC members start objecting to Jambo Resort guests trying to use their pool.

I don't think Jambo resort guests (as opposed to DVC Jambo guests) should assume that they will have access to the Kidani pool. DVC and Disney Resorts are totally separate entities. The Kidani pool is paid for from DVC annual membership fees and regular resort guests have no clear rights to use the facilities they are not paying for. It is quite possible that the regular resort guests at Jambo will have no legitimate pool access during the pool refurb and that they will be offered free use of the water parks instead. At the very least, you should get something in writing if you are told over the phone that you can use the Kidani pool facilities, because it may not be true if DVC members start objecting to Jambo Resort guests trying to use their pool.

Actually when I was told about the pool refurbishment the email said that all Jambo house guests will have access to the K idani pool as an alternative since the pool is closed at Jambo. when I called to change resorts or ask if something could be done each cast member said that the Kidani pool will be availble. During the Refurbishment only the Kidani pool will be available and both Kidani and Jambo will share it.

I thought any guest at either the hotel or DVC could use either the Kidani or Jambo House pool...or am I totally mistaken? I haven't been there in years

This is proof and it was sent to my email that included my reservation for a standard room. I also had a phone call from guest services that backed up the email.

Dumela!

We are excited you have selected the Walt Disney World® Resort and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas as your vacation destination. We hope you enjoy our signature blend of African art and culture with our world-class Disney hospitality.

To ensure we are continuing to deliver the best vacation experience possible, it is necessary for us to refresh our offerings from time to time. In preparation for your upcoming visit, we would like to inform you of refurbishment work that will be taking place.

Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment during your stay. During this time, we invite you to have a wild time at nearby Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village. Maji Pool Bar features refreshing beverages, sandwiches and more. For your convenience, brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House.

Great adventures await at Simba’s Clubhouse and Victoria Falls Lounge, located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. Previously open exclusively to Guests aged 4-12, Simba’s Clubhouse will be available during your visit with activities for Guests of all ages, such as crafts, facilitated activities, board and video games, movies and more! Embark on a South African-inspired adventure at Victoria Falls Lounge.

While we work our magic, it is possible that you may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-939-2871 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).

General Manager Kent Mitchell and the team at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC

I thought any guest at either the hotel or DVC could use either the Kidani or Jambo House pool...or am I totally mistaken? I haven't been there in years

You are correct. Guests have always been able to use both pools regardless of where they stay, this is not something new for the purposes of the refurbishment, this has always been allowed.

Directly from the AKL page on the WDW website (bolding mine):

Pool with Waterslide
Retreat to a 11,000-square-foot tropical oasis, featuring gently sloping, zero-depth entry and a thrilling waterslide. Surrounded by large canopy trees and Floridian palms, Uzima Pool includes 2 relaxing whirlpool spas and a children’s wading pool.

You can also splash about at Samawati Springs Pool, which offers 2 whirlpool spas, an exciting waterslide and Uwanja Camp—an animal observation site-themed water playground with squirting flowers, a rope bridge, water cannons and more. Samawati Springs Pool is located just a short walk away at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/resorts/animal-kingdom-lodge/

Last edited:

Okay, this is probably going to sound totally crazy. I've been watching room tour videos on YouTube and it seems like some Savanna views are nice and green and some are a lot of brown dirt. I want a green view! Is there a Savanna that's more green than others?

As everyone has already said, using the Kidani pool is totally okay! Now that I think about it, I think AKL might be the only DVC resort with a DVC specific pool. I could be wrong, but when we stayed at GF last year the only option for DVC members was the regular resort pool.

Thanks to everyone who answered before I could!

As everyone has already said, using the Kidani pool is totally okay! Now that I think about it, I think AKL might be the only DVC resort with a DVC specific pool. I could be wrong, but when we stayed at GF last year the only option for DVC members was the regular resort pool.

Beach Club Villas technically has a specific DVC Pool, it's surrounded by the Villas an isn't sign posted from the Hotel. It's got a Pool Table and Jacuzzi, but I've never seen signs saying it's DVC Only, or any one checking.

...DVC and Disney Resorts are totally separate entities. The Kidani pool is paid for from DVC annual membership fees and regular resort guests have no clear rights to use the facilities they are not paying for. It is quite possible that the regular resort guests at Jambo will have no legitimate pool access during the pool refurb and that they will be offered free use of the water parks instead... because it may not be true if DVC members start objecting to Jambo Resort guests trying to use their pool.
W/out access to the specific budgets for AKV or AKL, there’s no way to know whether the pools are separately paid for w/ 100% of Kidani’s pool paid by member’s maintenance fees and a % of Jambo’s pool paid for by AKV DVC member fees, or if the pools are lumped together w/ member’s paying a % of upkeep and staffing for both pools. Since both pools have been available for all Jambo and Kidani guests since the beginning, I suspect costs are lumped together and prorated based on occupancy of DVC v. cash guests in the same way that transportation and husbandry costs are.
The only situation I can think of is at BLT which has it’s DVC specific pool but the BLT guests can also use the pool at the Contemporary, whereas Contemporary guests cannot use the BLT pool.

I see rates posted here from time to time. Just curious, what do you all consider a good nightly rate for a Savanna view room?

Beach Club Villas technically has a specific DVC Pool, it's surrounded by the Villas an isn't sign posted from the Hotel. It's got a Pool Table and Jacuzzi, but I've never seen signs saying it's DVC Only, or any one checking.

Oh cool I didn't know that. We haven't made our way over to the Beach Club yet, but it is on the list haha

Okay, this is probably going to sound totally crazy. I've been watching room tour videos on YouTube and it seems like some Savanna views are nice and green and some are a lot of brown dirt. I want a green view! Is there a Savanna that's more green than others?
We stayed in March at Jambo House and had a savanna view on the zebra trail, nothing appeared to be green. We walked all the trails and some had more dirt than others but none really appeared to be green. Keep in mind, Florida has drought and rainy seasons, depending on when you go, the savanna might look brown or green but most of it is dirt with some grass near the edges of the savanna/closer to the rooms.

We stayed in March at Jambo House and had a savanna view on the zebra trail, nothing appeared to be green. We walked all the trails and some had more dirt than others but none really appeared to be green. Keep in mind, Florida has drought and rainy seasons, depending on when you go, the savanna might look brown or green but most of it is dirt with some grass near the edges of the savanna/closer to the rooms.

That's a good point. I didn't think of the different seasons and weather. Thanks!

In exactly 100 days, I will be checking in to AKL! I hate to wish my summer away but I can’t wait!

At first I was really bummed about the pool and room refurbs, but it seems like the room stuff won’t be that big of a deal and the pool closure will just give us more of a reason to go to Typhoon Lagoon. We love the water parks :)

Now I just have to figure out which savanna view we would like to request!

I see rates posted here from time to time. Just curious, what do you all consider a good nightly rate for a Savanna view room?

I'd consider $300/$325 a great Savanna view rate.
$400/$425 I'd consider good.
Basing on value season rack rates with a bigger discount than seems to be offered anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter