Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Just got home yesterday afternoon from a 3 night stay in a savanna view room at AKL for our 40th anniversary.
Pros:
The animals were pretty active in spite of it being so hot out. We saw different ones every day...the giraffes were my favorite.
Food at The Mara (quick serve) was excellent and it wasn't super busy even though it's fairly small.
We had our anniversary dinner at Sanaa and it was excellent as well. Ordered the full bread service....have seen people rave about it....and really liked it, but it was too much for 2 people. Would probably skip it if we ate there again.
The breakfast buffet at Boma is also excellent. We had dinner there last fall and really enjoyed it too.

Cons:
It is a huge resort so we were glad we got a scooter for hubby who had both knees replaced this summer and isn't back to full walking abilities.
The room was smaller than I expected for the price and being an higher end property, but with just 2 of us it was fine. We had a queen bed and bunks....hubby is a big guy so I got the bottom bunk and he got the queen.
The pillows weren't comfortable at all.....if we stay there again I'll definitely bring my own!

All in all it was a fun experience for a celebration....the front desk sent chocolate covered strawberries as a treat for our anniversary!

Just got home yesterday afternoon from a 3 night stay in a savanna view room at AKL for our 40th anniversary.
Pros:
The animals were pretty active in spite of it being so hot out. We saw different ones every day...the giraffes were my favorite.
Food at The Mara (quick serve) was excellent and it wasn't super busy even though it's fairly small.
We had our anniversary dinner at Sanaa and it was excellent as well. Ordered the full bread service....have seen people rave about it....and really liked it, but it was too much for 2 people. Would probably skip it if we ate there again.
The breakfast buffet at Boma is also excellent. We had dinner there last fall and really enjoyed it too.

Cons:
It is a huge resort so we were glad we got a scooter for hubby who had both knees replaced this summer and isn't back to full walking abilities.
The room was smaller than I expected for the price and being an higher end property, but with just 2 of us it was fine. We had a queen bed and bunks....hubby is a big guy so I got the bottom bunk and he got the queen.
The pillows weren't comfortable at all.....if we stay there again I'll definitely bring my own!

All in all it was a fun experience for a celebration....the front desk sent chocolate covered strawberries as a treat for our anniversary!
We will have 2 nights at AKLthe soon after Thanksgiving and we're very excited.....our anniversary too! We plan on only going to AK both days 1/2 day, morning on second day and evening on first day with lots of resort time.

Sanaa for lunch and planning on that bread service! Going to make sure we are good and hungry! What was your fav dish at Sanaa?

I think it was the South African Braaivleis.....I know I couldn't pronounce it! It had a beef and pork sausage, lamb chop, and pork loin and it was really delicious...veggies were part of it. I had the African Triple Chocolate Mousse and it killed me to leave part of it on my plate, but I was stuffed!

We will have 2 nights at AKLthe soon after Thanksgiving and we're very excited.....our anniversary too! We plan on only going to AK both days 1/2 day, morning on second day and evening on first day with lots of resort time.

Sanaa for lunch and planning on that bread service! Going to make sure we are good and hungry! What was your fav dish at Sanaa?
My husband and I split the bread service then we split an entree. It was plenty of food for the both of us. Neither of us could have eaten a full meal after the bread service.

We had the braised beef. It was heavenly.

Just returned on Tuesday from our first stay at AKL. We were in room 3212 which was a great location right off the lobby and had a great view for a standard room - actually saw some Giraffes from our balcony which is THE dream! Overall we liked the resort but our first impression was that it was very dark. We didn't get the whole spiel about where everything was or what amenities were available so we were left to find it all on our own, which we did. The room was a bit small with a queen and 2 bunks - we didn't spend much time there though. The Mara was really small, I was surprised! The pool closure was obvious and we did take the shuttle over to Kadani to swim a few times (pool over there wasn't as busy as I had thought it would be, but the shuttle was a hassle) The Concierge was a little off-putting...I asked about bounceback and he didn't believe me when I said there was one...also sent us over to AK with no reservation at Rainforest Café since he said there was no wait - he called - well we got there and there was 1.5hr wait. Overall it was a wonderful resort and experience and most importantly , for us, a learning experience. We go to wdw for the parks, not the resort. I love a hot tub and quiet pool, covered bus stops and a nice quick service - so I think Moderates is where we land. Glad we tried it!

When my husband and I eat at Sanaa, we get the bread service, and then share the braised beef. We just can't get 2 entrees, and find that this system works well!

What is the pool construction looking like? Is it a huge eyesore?? Is the bus ride to kindani a pain? How long does it take?

It just looked like a drained pool - not too bad - still lots of foliage around the pool. There was a lifeguard posted outside to direct people to the Kadani pool. The shuttle was a 12 person white extended cab that you catch where the DME busses go. They were pretty frequent. We saw a lot of people walking, it's not really that far. Just more of hassle than going outside to the pool, but not that bad at all.

Checking in for a 3 day stay next Friday for my daughters bday. Anyone have a favorite savannah view studio room?!

It just looked like a drained pool - not too bad - still lots of foliage around the pool. There was a lifeguard posted outside to direct people to the Kadani pool. The shuttle was a 12 person white extended cab that you catch where the DME busses go. They were pretty frequent. We saw a lot of people walking, it's not really that far. Just more of hassle than going outside to the pool, but not that bad at all.
RE: the shuttle - I don't know what 'extended cab' means (not being versed in bus/shuttle lingo) they used to have a van, but replaced it w/ what I would describe as a small bus like vehicle - is that what an extended cab is?
Before the Jambo pool closure there was that one small bus and all it did was loop between the 2 lobbies so maybe a 5 min. drive & not much of a wait for it to arrive, I assume this is unchanged despite the pool closure?
Can you skirt the closed pool on the left to reach the Uzima savanna overlook, or is that blocked as well?

RE: the shuttle - I don't know what 'extended cab' means (not being versed in bus/shuttle lingo) they used to have a van, but replaced it w/ what I would describe as a small bus like vehicle - is that what an extended cab is?
Before the Jambo pool closure there was that one small bus and all it did was loop between the 2 lobbies so maybe a 5 min. drive & not much of a wait for it to arrive, I assume this is unchanged despite the pool closure?
Can you skirt the closed pool on the left to reach the Uzima savanna overlook, or is that blocked as well?
You can skirt it. We went over to an overlook, but I have no idea what the name of it was. We actually circled the entire pool.

Planning our first trip, the front page says there's a fee to use the fitness room. Can anyone confirm this and what the fee might be? Is there filtered water available in there?

Also looking for a favorite studio savannah view room

Planning our first trip, the front page says there's a fee to use the fitness room. Can anyone confirm this and what the fee might be? Is there filtered water available in there?

Also looking for a favorite studio savannah view room

There's not a fee to use the fitness center - spa services, yes, but not the fitness center

Know Before You Go
Find information about operating hours, facility requirements and lockers.

Requirements
The Fitness Center is complimentary for Guests staying at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House.

Anyone have info on where to book the Wild About Painting Classes? I don't see a link on WDW site. TIA

I don't find information either. I am about to post on the DISunplugged forum to suggest that a review of this new activity should be done!

Anyone have info on where to book the Wild About Painting Classes? I don't see a link on WDW site. TIA

I don't find information either. I am about to post on the DISunplugged forum to suggest that a review of this new activity should be done!

“Wild About Painting” will take place every Sunday and Wednesday. The class is open to guests ages 12 and over. Gusts who are 21 or over, will be treated to a complimentary adult beverage. The cost of the class is just $50.00 and that includes all of your supplies.

The class begins at 11 am with check-in beginning at 10:45 am. Pre-registration is required at the class is limited to the first 20 guests who sign up. You can reserve the spot for your class by contacting 407-PLAY-DISNEY.

“Wild About Painting” will take place every Sunday and Wednesday. The class is open to guests ages 12 and over. Gusts who are 21 or over, will be treated to a complimentary adult beverage. The cost of the class is just $50.00 and that includes all of your supplies.

The class begins at 11 am with check-in beginning at 10:45 am. Pre-registration is required at the class is limited to the first 20 guests who sign up. You can reserve the spot for your class by contacting 407-PLAY-DISNEY.
Thank you. Hopefully, a poster or a podcast will review this activity soon!

Pros:

Cons:

Thanks zso much for posting this!

Hi everyone,

I could really use some check in day itinerary/parking/planning guidance.

We are arriving by autotrain on Saturday morning and my brother by plane around the same time.

My plan is as follows: (please let me know what is/isn't reasonable and how you think I can make this most efficient especially the luggage part and transportation to AK)

• Arrive around 9am in Sanford - paying for priority offloading
  • 10am is when I expect to arrive at Epcot (we are trying to check in 4 times during our trip to Epcot to get our Annual Passholder gifts) so 6 of us are running in to Epcot (grammy and baby staying in car) and just checking in and running out
  • 9:30 our Uncle is arriving at MCO - he will have just a carry on bag - don't know how he does it....
  • 10:30am expected arrival at Kidani QUESTION #1 - do we give the bellhop our luggage and leave it there for when we check in later in the evening or should we just leave it in the car?)
  • 11:55am ressie at Sanaa - plan is to check in early so we can head over to AK after.
  • QUESTION #2 - Do we drive to AK from AKL or take the bus, what is faster/easier in your opinion? Is our stuff safer with bell services or in the parking lot at Disney?
  • We have a couple of fast passes which we would like to make but it's not a deal breaker and then we have dinner at Tiffins around 6pm. We might stay for ROL or might head back to the resort only because we really would like to unpack and get settled earlier rather than later, but that is part of QUESTION #1 - I know they won't deliver our bags to the room without us being there so if we are now pulling up to the Kidani entrance around 8pm will our bags get to our room faster if we give them to bell services right then and there or can we notify them as we are returning from the park and have them bring them up?

As you can tell I'm probably trying to overplan a bit over a difference of 30 minutes or so, but it's really such a pain with so many of us to get into our room and not have jammies, etc. to put on right away and start getting ready for bed.

Also, what are the chances that we can get an hour of pool time in before eating at Sanaa? Am I crazy to think we could comfortably get that all in? I don't want to run around too much and make our check in day crazy and I forget how far away things are between Kidani, the pool at Kidani and Sanaa and the buses to AK....

Thank you anyone for your input and guidance.

You guys are the BEST!

@jvalic33 the one thing I did not see from your post that seems most important is whether your party will actually require assistance with your number of bags, or can you manage everything without help?

QUESTION #1 - do we give the bellhop our luggage and leave it there for when we check in later in the evening or should we just leave it in the car?)
Personally I would park the car and leave everything in it except for my park bag. I do not travel with much of anything of value except maybe you could consider my camera to be of value, but that usually comes with me. I've never had or heard of any issues with break-ins at Disney but obviously you should only do what you are comfortable with. The majority of the parking at Kidani is under the building and I have found it to be a great place to park, especially with the number of cast members traveling through and the shade!

QUESTION #2 - Do we drive to AK from AKL or take the bus, what is faster/easier in your opinion? Is our stuff safer with bell services or in the parking lot at Disney?
Again, I find the bus/drive debate to be a matter of personal preference. I'd take the bus in the afternoon as your plans put you in AK parking at a time that would likely require you to park and take the tram. The bus always drops at the same place - relatively close to the front and when you come back out the AC in the bus is always on. That's not the case with your personal vehicle - you could luck into an awesome parking spot close to the entrance or you could be way far away, I just like the certainty of the bus.

or can we notify them as we are returning from the park and have them bring them up?
Nope, there's no way to do this as you won't have a direct line for bell services. You could stop at the bell desk on your way in and tell them what room you're in and that you're ready for bags, but you can't call ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter