Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Does anyone know if the plan is to remove bathtubs in all the standard (non-suite/non DVC) rooms?

Evidently THey are removing some of the bathtubs at least and making them large walkin showers as they are doing the renovations.

"Here with the Ears" today posted in FB a video of a renovated savannah view room that has a walkin shower in place of what used to be the tub.

Here is a screengrab of the shower:

upload_2019-4-1_2-3-35.png

Sorry I don't think we are allowed to put FB links in the Dis, and they don't have the video uploaded to their Youtube site yet.

SW

(edited to correct name from "hear" to "here". sorry for the typo.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't think we are allowed to put FB links in the Dis, and they don't have the video uploaded to their Youtube site yet.

SW

I just checked out their video and I have to say the room looks really nice. It was hard to tell by just looking at a couple of photos. Thanks for mentioning the "Here With The Ears"! :-) I hadn't heard of them before.

The rooms look great, but when my kids were younger I would have been livid if I was given a room without a tub. How are people supposed to bathe their kids?
It looks like one of the shower heads detaches from the wall - so you could use that for toddlers. I’ve read that some parents take blow up tubs to use for baby’s/toddlers in the shower on cruises.
Disney Princesses https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...VuSCtBh3-mQ72EAQYBCABEgKsLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Disney Winnie the Pooh https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-I...MI4s7d6dyw4QIVFB-tBh2gywMuEAQYASABEgJ7EvD_BwE

Last edited:
I just checked out their video and I have to say the room looks really nice. It was hard to tell by just looking at a couple of photos. Thanks for mentioning the "Here With The Ears"! :-) I hadn't heard of them before.

I hadn't heard of them either until I learned of their video.

Its the first video I've seen of the refurbed rooms. Exciting !

The rooms look great, but when my kids were younger I would have been livid if I was given a room without a tub. How are people supposed to bathe their kids?

IF they are doing the refurb like they did at Coronado Springs, some rooms will have tubs [with a sliding glass door] and some rooms will have the walk-in shower. For CSR people have apparently had success with making a room request for a room with a tub.

Personally, I like the approach they took with the studios at Copper Creek; at least when rented for cash from Disney "Deluxe Studio with walk-in shower" is an actual booking category. Though at AKL that would create an insance number of booking categories ! I am guessing they will just keep it as a room request.

Hopefully as more people stay in the new rooms more info will come out.

In the video, they make a few comments as they are showing the shower:

- they have switched to a shower only for most of the rooms
- there are still some that have tubs in them
- they [Disney] says they also have some child-size tubs that you can use inside the shower if needed; you request that at the front desk

SW

I can't tell from video if there was a mini fridge in refurb. room. Did they remove them?

EDIT...I asked the Here With Ears on FB that did video. They DO have fridge.

Last edited:
We are arriving on Saturday for our first stay at Kidani. It’s been a few years since our last on-site stay and I had heard that they have containers for shampoo, etc. mounted in the shower(s). Is this still true? Trying to figure out what toiletries I need to pack.

The room refurb pictures are really interesting! Am curious how long you guys think it will take for them to do all the rooms...safe bet that if we're there in 6 months they'll be done? As much as I liked the old rooms, my asthma/allergies are really excited for no carpet...

In the video they said that you could request a child size tub to be brought to your room for bathing small children, so all is not lost. We can still "wash the park off" the tiny ones.

The villas have drip coffee makers, right (as opposed to Kuerigs)? If that’s correct, what shape basket does it have for the filter - cone or the more round ones (I don’t know how to describe it- I’m not the coffee drinker in the family)? The coffee provided in the room will last about 5 minutes so I am planning to bring our own to supplement.

The villas have drip coffee makers, right (as opposed to Kuerigs)? If that’s correct, what shape basket does it have for the filter - cone or the more round ones (I don’t know how to describe it- I’m not the coffee drinker in the family)? The coffee provided in the room will last about 5 minutes so I am planning to bring our own to supplement.
I believe all DVC villas have the regular coffee makers that take the round, flat bottom filters. I think they call them basket style or something, not the cone shaped ones. They also sell them in the gift shops if you forget.

We are arriving on Saturday for our first stay at Kidani. It’s been a few years since our last on-site stay and I had heard that they have containers for shampoo, etc. mounted in the shower(s). Is this still true? Trying to figure out what toiletries I need to pack.
The bottles we had were shampoo, conditioner and body wash, bars of soap, and one small bottle of body lotion. When my mother requested a shower cap, they ended up bringing her a whole bag of assorted toiletries in the small bottles. Not sure if that will always happen, but just FYI.

Most of the rooms at AKL and Kidani don't have the big pump bottles in the showers yet. Looked like the new refurbed rooms at AKL Jambo do. But there aren't a lot of those done yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter