Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

So good the hear!!!

This Aug will be our first stay at Jambo and so looking forward to it, so what building do you recommend for a good savanna view?
When you book AKL/AKV you book one of the 2 buildings. Jambo House which is where all of the hotel rooms/suites are along with some DVC villas on the 5th & 6th floors, or Kidani Village which is all DVC villas. Assuming you have a hotel room booked you will be in Jambo House.
Also, for hotel rooms there are different booking categories, CL, savanna view, pool view and standard view. If you have savanna view booked Zebra trail - the halls at Jambo are called trails - is a nice request since it’s on the same side of the resort as the pool and quick service restaurant. If you booked a standard view but hope to see a savanna, Kudu trail is a good request since all of the Kudu trail rooms have at least a partial savanna view, although the walk to the pool/quick service restaurant can be a bit longer.

I have to look up the building, but our room numbers were in the 5200s, I think. I liked the diversity of animals a bit more on the Zebra Trail, but Uzima was good, too, and had a more secluded feel. It was our first trip, too! We loved it!

Hi All. AKL newbie here. I will also post this on the club level thread. Just booked a savannah view, club level room for my 92 year old mom and myself Dec. 5-7. I see rooms are located on the Kudu and the Zebra savannahs. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Do the animals wander between the two, or are they separated? Especially interested in seeing giraffes from our balcony if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice about this.

Last edited:
Hi All. AKL newbie here. I will also post this on the club level thread. Just booked a savannah view, club level room for my 92 year old mom and myself Dec. 5-7. I see rooms are located on the Kudu and the Zebra savannahs. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Do the animals wander between the two, or are they separated? Especially interested in seeing giraffes from our balcony if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice about this.
I am wondering the same thing. This will also be our first trip staying CL at AKL. Thanks for the post!

I am wondering the same thing. This will also be our first trip staying CL at AKL. Thanks for the post!
I am not a CL stayer, but Kudu and Zebra are trails which is what AKL calls hallways. The names of the savannas visible from Kudu trail are Sunset savanna and Arusha savanna. The names of the savannas visible from Zebra trail are Arusha savanna and Uzima savanna. Arusha savanna is the one in the middle on the AKL map, Sunset is on the left/Kidani side, Uzima savanna is on the right/pool side.
All 3 of these savannas have giraffes. The animals do not usually go from one savanna to another, they stay on their own savanna except for when they go into their barn every morning for about an hour and a half.
I’ve read that CL rooms are usually on the 4th floor with Arusha savanna views and fairly close to the lobby for easier access to the 6th floor which is where the CL lounge is located.
Here’s a link to page 1 of this thread, post 6 has the map which probably makes more sense than my attempts to describe things!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/jambo-the-newest-akl-information-thread.3567178/

I am not a CL stayer, but Kudu and Zebra are trails which is what AKL calls hallways. The names of the savannas visible from Kudu trail are Sunset savanna and Arusha savanna. The names of the savannas visible from Zebra trail are Arusha savanna and Uzima savanna. Arusha savanna is the one in the middle on the AKL map, Sunset is on the left/Kidani side, Uzima savanna is on the right/pool side.
All 3 of these savannas have giraffes. The animals do not usually go from one savanna to another, they stay on their own savanna except for when they go into their barn every morning for about an hour and a half.
I’ve read that CL rooms are usually on the 4th floor with Arusha savanna views and fairly close to the lobby for easier access to the 6th floor which is where the CL lounge is located.
Here’s a link to page 1 of this thread, post 6 has the map which probably makes more sense than my attempts to describe things!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/jambo-the-newest-akl-information-thread.3567178/

Thanks so much for this!

Hi, we are staying in a standard view room in Jambo House this September.

I had chosen a Kudu trail room for a request via touring plans but I’m worrying about how far the walk is to the pools, the Mara and buses.

Do you know of any standard rooms with partial Savannah views on the Zebra trail?

Yes, they exist, but the walk to buses will be equally as long as from the far-flung rooms on Kudu trail. You would be closer to the Mara and the pool, though.

E0DEA1C9-0832-4401-86B4-71C53950550F.jpeg

How long would take to get to Epcot in the morning? We plan to be at the bus stop at 8:15 to get to Epcot at rope drop. About what time will this get us to Epcot? We would like to be there by 8:40.

How long would take to get to Epcot in the morning? We plan to be at the bus stop at 8:15 to get to Epcot at rope drop. About what time will this get us to Epcot? We would like to be there by 8:40.

The bus ride is 15-20 minutes. This does not include time for just missing the bus or the bus filling at Kidani before heading to Jambo and having to wait for the next bus. In general, I try to be at a bus stop 45 mins to an hour prior to when I want to be somewhere. If I am there early, no big deal, but if a bus is running late I have a little extra time padded in just in case. I don't think 8:15 gives you nearly enough time to be at EC by 8:40. I'd plan to be at the bus stop by 8, the latest. Just my opinion.

The bus ride is 15-20 minutes. This does not include time for just missing the bus or the bus filling at Kidani before heading to Jambo and having to wait for the next bus. In general, I try to be at a bus stop 45 mins to an hour prior to when I want to be somewhere. If I am there early, no big deal, but if a bus is running late I have a little extra time padded in just in case. I don't think 8:15 gives you nearly enough time to be at EC by 8:40. I'd plan to be at the bus stop by 8, the latest. Just my opinion.
Ok thank you. We will get to the bus at 8:00

Last edited:
I just got home Tuesday night from our AKL stay. We were in room 4221 (first grouping of rooms off the lobby - there are 5). We had a savanna view (CL room). The construction was going on the last 3 groupings of rooms.

When we first checked in, the construction noise was horrendous in the hall right outside our room. Our magic bands did not work to get in the room (that was a whole other fiasco though), so we went back to the concierge to get the bands fixed & see about moving rooms. They were unable to move us that first night, but had available rooms the following night. So, we were stuck the first night. We checked out the room that they were going to move us to, and quite frankly, the view that we had in the original room was better and was MUCH closer to the lobby. We eventually opted to stay where we were in 4221.

I will say the construction noise was only noticeable a couple of times. They only worked from 9-5, so if you are not really in your rooms during the day, there isn't too much worry. The cranes did not impede our view at all. They were off to the side and when they workers weren't there, they lowered them to the ground and weren't really obtrusive. The animals did not have any concern with the construction either. They were on the savanna all hours of the night/day. We had GREAT views of all the animals.

HOWEVER... during the construction, we did have an issue. We did not know that there could be power/water issues during the 9-5 construction period. We had a DAH night and wanted to sleep in the next day. As my DH was in the shower & all soaped up, the water was shut off. That was a mess. We were given a key for another room so he could finish up his shower, but it was a pain. So, keep that in mind if you are on a wing that they are doing construction.

Other than the water/power issues, honestly, the construction not bother us one bit.

I just got home Tuesday night from our AKL stay. We were in room 4221 (first grouping of rooms off the lobby - there are 5). We had a savanna view (CL room). The construction was going on the last 3 groupings of rooms.

When we first checked in, the construction noise was horrendous in the hall right outside our room. Our magic bands did not work to get in the room (that was a whole other fiasco though), so we went back to the concierge to get the bands fixed & see about moving rooms. They were unable to move us that first night, but had available rooms the following night. So, we were stuck the first night. We checked out the room that they were going to move us to, and quite frankly, the view that we had in the original room was better and was MUCH closer to the lobby. We eventually opted to stay where we were in 4221.

I will say the construction noise was only noticeable a couple of times. They only worked from 9-5, so if you are not really in your rooms during the day, there isn't too much worry. The cranes did not impede our view at all. They were off to the side and when they workers weren't there, they lowered them to the ground and weren't really obtrusive. The animals did not have any concern with the construction either. They were on the savanna all hours of the night/day. We had GREAT views of all the animals.

HOWEVER... during the construction, we did have an issue. We did not know that there could be power/water issues during the 9-5 construction period. We had a DAH night and wanted to sleep in the next day. As my DH was in the shower & all soaped up, the water was shut off. That was a mess. We were given a key for another room so he could finish up his shower, but it was a pain. So, keep that in mind if you are on a wing that they are doing construction.

Other than the water/power issues, honestly, the construction not bother us one bit.
Was this on Zebra Trail?

I’ve been trying to find the posts about what sections of the hotel renovations are done? I was curious if they are standard rooms. Also, since this will be our first time stay at this resort, are the standard rooms located farther away from everything? There’s no preferred level like some resorts which do place you closer to everything.

And if anyone knows where I can find a good map (I keep finding mainly DVC maps)?

Also, since this will be our first time stay at this resort, are the standard rooms located farther away from everything? There’s no preferred level like some resorts which do place you closer to everything.

And if anyone knows where I can find a good map (I keep finding mainly DVC maps)?

No, the standard rooms, in general, are simply “less desirable” views. They can often be what I would consider lovely views, but marred in some way by a roof or as you will see reported throughout this thread a “people pen” (the colloquial name for the safety enclosures which are necessary because an emergency escape of the hotel could put humans on the savanna with animals). The standard rooms can also mean views of the parking lot, which, while not the most desirable view, can be conveniently located. My favorite room is the one that fits my needs for that particular trip - sometimes it’s a scenic view, sometimes it’s convenience of location. If the latter, I will just request to be as close to the lobby as possible. If the former, I request any partial savanna view. I’ve had great luck at AKL with room location requests.

The best maps I know of are on touring plans. I pay for a subscription so I’m not sure if the resort maps are behind the pay wall, but I don’t think they are. Let me know if I can help with any specific requests - I’m always glad to pay it forward because the posters here have been so kind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter