Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I just arrived back home from a wonderful week at WDW! We did a split stay with POFQ and AKL Jambo. I thought I'd share some of my experiences for people who might be interested. This was our first time doing a split stay, our first time staying in a DVC studio, and our first time at AKL. I scored a great Express deal on Priceline for our stay, and it turned out to be a DVC studio at Jambo. Our resort move was real quick and painless. We dropped our bags off at POFQ bell services and took the boat to the Springs. I got the text pretty early that our room was ready. After a bit of shopping, we hopped the bus to AKL. The resort is beautiful! We were in room 5214, which was right down the hall from the suspension bridge.

A few thoughts - we must have been on the backside of the kitchen because it always smelled like food. It didn't bother us, but I could see where it would bother some people. I wish the bathroom sink area would have had a curtain or door. The only place to get privacy was in the bathroom, and there really isn't much room in there. I am also an early riser. It would have been nice to be able to be able to get ready early in the morning without having the lights in the bathroom shining into the rest of the room. I wish the Mara had more meal options. This was our first time staying at a deluxe resort as a family. We are used to food courts like Riverside and Pop, with many options.

I sure hope the above paragraph does not sound like complaining. I just wanted to give my perspective view in case it would help another family. We saw animals from our balcony every day. We never had a problem with bus transportation. In fact, I think my DH was the only one who ever had to stand, and that was just once to allow a grandma have his seat. We had a fantastic trip, and really enjoyed the resort!

I asked this question under a thread in the resort forum, but since I haven't gotten an answer yet I'm hoping someone might have an answer for me here. We just got back from the BC last week, and they had individual flavored coffee creamers (hazelnut and french vanilla) at the refill station. We will be staying at Kidani in October and was wondering if anyone noticed whether or not they had them there as well? If not there, possibly The Mara at AKL? Trying to not have to pack any on this trip. Thanks so much!

It is possible noone actually has new information on this a quite difficult to find. How close are they to completeing room renovations at AKL? Thanks. We have a King Standard booked for early November and wondering how likely it might be to get a renovated room. Thanks all!

It is possible noone actually has new information on this a quite difficult to find. How close are they to completeing room renovations at AKL? Thanks. We have a King Standard booked for early November and wondering how likely it might be to get a renovated room. Thanks all!

They have mostly [but not entirely] completed Kudu trail. They are currently working on part of Kudu (near lobby) as well as Zebra trail (around pool).

The renovations as a whole are not supposed to be finished until into 2020.

Unless it has changed, there is a period in December where the DVC value rooms are not available because the area they are in will be closed off to renovate the hotel rooms in the same area, so that is 5th floor Giraffe and Ostrich trails, possibly floor(s) below as well.

SW

I just arrived back home from a wonderful week at WDW! We did a split stay with POFQ and AKL Jambo. I thought I'd share some of my experiences for people who might be interested. This was our first time doing a split stay, our first time staying in a DVC studio, and our first time at AKL. I scored a great Express deal on Priceline for our stay, and it turned out to be a DVC studio at Jambo. Our resort move was real quick and painless. We dropped our bags off at POFQ bell services and took the boat to the Springs. I got the text pretty early that our room was ready. After a bit of shopping, we hopped the bus to AKL. The resort is beautiful! We were in room 5214, which was right down the hall from the suspension bridge.

A few thoughts - we must have been on the backside of the kitchen because it always smelled like food. It didn't bother us, but I could see where it would bother some people. I wish the bathroom sink area would have had a curtain or door. The only place to get privacy was in the bathroom, and there really isn't much room in there. I am also an early riser. It would have been nice to be able to be able to get ready early in the morning without having the lights in the bathroom shining into the rest of the room. I wish the Mara had more meal options. This was our first time staying at a deluxe resort as a family. We are used to food courts like Riverside and Pop, with many options.

I sure hope the above paragraph does not sound like complaining. I just wanted to give my perspective view in case it would help another family. We saw animals from our balcony every day. We never had a problem with bus transportation. In fact, I think my DH was the only one who ever had to stand, and that was just once to allow a grandma have his seat. We had a fantastic trip, and really enjoyed the resort!
When we started staying deluxe we said the same about missing the food courts at the moderate and value. The Mara is one of the better quick services out of all the deluxes too. But we got used to it and love them now. WE just stayed at AOA this spring and boy that food court was awesome. But I’d still rather stay at AKL.

Does anyone know what's going on with the pool room bunks? I assume they're getting reno'd at the same time as the pool rooms - and the fact they are still a bookable category from Disney I would also assume they are not going away? Has anyone stayed in a pool renovated bunk room yet?

Hi,

I doubt that folk on this forum are aware, but in Australia the Woolworths supermarket chain are running a competition right now where 116 winners will win a 5 day trip for 4 to Disney World staying at AKL (standard view)
They are chartering a Qantas flight direct from Sydney to Orlando arriving (I think) on 19 January.
That's a looong flight for a short stay, but I still hope to win.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/discover/the-lion-king?icmpid=sm-discover-home-lion-king
This might impact on room availability over those dates

I’m going to AKL in November & still my entry in. Where if I win, i will be going. Happily. Yet again. And I won’t even be sorry!

We had a smilar smelling room once, except it made my wife's morning sickness worse. They had no more rooms and we were able to move to Beach Club!

When we started staying deluxe we said the same about missing the food courts at the moderate and value. The Mara is one of the better quick services out of all the deluxes too. But we got used to it and love them now. WE just stayed at AOA this spring and boy that food court was awesome. But I’d still rather stay at AKL.

I agree, but it would be nice if they would do a rotating menu? Maybe switch out an entree or two every other day? Just to give it a little variation.

We had a smilar smelling room once, except it made my wife's morning sickness worse. They had no more rooms and we were able to move to Beach Club!

I can see where that would happen! I was very sensitive to smells when I was pregnant. It would not have been good!

Mara used to have a rotating menu for soups, sandwiches and an entree at dinner. This is the first year that they haven't had it that way. I agree that Mara still one of the best quick services of any of the deluxe. It also has some of the TS restaurants as well so we are quite happy with the dining options.

enhance

enhance

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked before but we arere staying in late September this year and have booked a standard room. We're planning to request a partial savannah view (fingers crossed!) or possibly a partial pool view room.

Does anyone know if partial pool view rooms are actually a category? Has anyone had one before? We're staying for 2 weeks so it would be wonderful if we're lucky enough to have a nice view from our balcony 😃

I was just reading about the lack of complimentary in room lotion at other resorts and I’m wondering if anybody that is here now can confirm this? We’ll be staying in a DVC studio so I’m wondering if it’s a DVC thing or a resort change.

I was just reading about the lack of complimentary in room lotion at other resorts and I’m wondering if anybody that is here now can confirm this? We’ll be staying in a DVC studio so I’m wondering if it’s a DVC thing or a resort change.

I am not sure about AKL specifically, but I have seen posts from people staying in both DVC and non-DVC accommodations so I do not believe that this is a DVC thing.

We stayed at a Jambo DVC studio last week. The only thing that was set on the bathroom counter was a bar of facial soap, no lotions.

Oh, this photo got me a little verklempt! It's so gorgeous! We are staying at AKL for the first time this October so I just started following this thread and these photos have me so excited!!
...you are quite welcome! We were there last month and I miss it already....:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter