Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Hello everyone, we have a reservation for Savanna view-King bed in November. I tried to do online check-in today, but the only room request option I have is "upper floor"
Is this normal or just another Disney Website glitch? I thought there will be more options to select.... This is our first time to AKL and we are super excited. TIA!

Hello everyone, we have a reservation for Savanna view-King bed in November. I tried to do online check-in today, but the only room request option I have is "upper floor"
Is this normal or just another Disney Website glitch? I thought there will be more options to select.... This is our first time to AKL and we are super excited. TIA!
It’s the famous Disney glitch.

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a Minnie van to the magic kingdom? And do they accept Disney gift cards? We actually arrive the night before and are staying at the Hyatt MCO. We’re going to wake up early and head to AKL to drop off our luggage and then we have a 9:40 reservation at Chef Mickeys. We then wanted to head back to the resort and enjoy the pool before our room is ready. I’m afraid it’s too much travel between resorts and perhaps we should do breakfast at Boma instead. My daughter would love Chef Mickeys though so it would be a fun way to start off our trip.

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a Minnie van to the magic kingdom? And do they accept Disney gift cards? We actually arrive the night before and are staying at the Hyatt MCO. We’re going to wake up early and head to AKL to drop off our luggage and then we have a 9:40 reservation at Chef Mickeys. We then wanted to head back to the resort and enjoy the pool before our room is ready. I’m afraid it’s too much travel between resorts and perhaps we should do breakfast at Boma instead. My daughter would love Chef Mickeys though so it would be a fun way to start off our trip.
Payment is done through the Lyft app, so you cannot use a gift card to pay. You can get on the Lyft app to get an estimate to price out how much that will cost.

Room requests with online check-in are sparse. I suggest you call in and have your request noted on your reservation.

I took a minnie van from AKL to MK just last week, and it cost 38$ and some change

an easy way to get to Chef Mickeys from AKL is take the bus to MK, then either take the short walk right over to the contemporary, or hop right on the monorail and the contemporary is the first stop.

an easy way to get to Chef Mickeys from AKL is take the bus to MK, then either take the short walk right over to the contemporary, or hop right on the monorail and the contemporary is the first stop.
I’m trying to reduce our travel time as much as possible since we will have just gotten off the MDE. I’m not sure I can stomach the cost of the Minnie Vans though so this might be what we do! 😃

I’m trying to reduce our travel time as much as possible since we will have just gotten off the MDE. I’m not sure I can stomach the cost of the Minnie Vans though so this might be what we do! 😃
Unfortunately MK is the furthest park from AKL and will thus be the most expensive taxi/car type option. A regular lyft/Uber would likely be less than a Minnie Van.
I’d probably opt to walk from the MK bus drop off over to the Contemporary so as to not mess with going through security which you’d have to do to board the monorail or boat to the Contemporary.
I’m probably an oddball, but there’s something I really like about that first stroll from the lobby through the gift shop down to the AKL Jambo bus stops, the stops are quiet, the foliage is pretty, & IME the others waiting are courteous, especially if you aren’t in the park opening morning rush crowd. In fact of all the resort bus stops I’ve used, I like the ambience of AKL Jambo’s best. With the estimated arrival time boards I find the wait to be more relaxing than before. There’s also MDE to let you know when the next bus is due https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...in-newly-redesigned-my-disney-experience-app/ so you can avoid lingering in the gift shop too long and just missing a bus.

We are excited for our AKL stay in a couple weeks and hoping to stay on track with our workout routines. Does anyone know what the gym/fitness facilities are like at AKL? Thanks!

We are excited for our AKL stay in a couple weeks and hoping to stay on track with our workout routines. Does anyone know what the gym/fitness facilities are like at AKL? Thanks!
It’s pretty nice - standard hotel gym. Are you looking for anything in particular?

I am most likely going to need a scooter at the parks. I can walk, but i can’t walk far due to my knee and back. I hate the idea of using the scooter on the bus. I only need it for distances. I also cannot stand for long. So i guess my point is I don’t want to use one but in order to have a pleasant experience I will most likely need a scooter.

Lastly, i do remember one time, there was a large family of 8 and one had a scooter. There were many people already waiting and the scooter rolled up. They were able to board first with family and some got left behind because of the long line. I didn’t necessarily think that was fair.

WHen I have ADR's at a resort I tend to use Lyft. It is much cheaper than the Minnie vans, which while cute can add up fast. I look at travel time as part of the vacation for the most part, but when I want to reduce it for more time in the resort itself, Lyft is my answer.

I need to make a room request and since it has been so many years since I stayed in AKL I am at a loss. I booked savanah view, and have two 13 year old girls in tow. Can anyone suggest a Savannah to request, or does it really matter? These two are tickled to be staying where they can enjoy watching the animals so I know they will not care, or even know if there is a difference, but I do want to try to request a nice spot.
I see your question became buried in the ‘bus/scooter’ thread drift o_O
As you face towards the back of the lobby the central savanna is the 11 acre Arusha savanna. It is a popular savanna to request, especially rooms on Zebra trail - the hallways at Jambo are called trails, btw. Zebra trail is popular because the pool and Mara are just a quick elevator ride down, whereas Kudu trail rooms which overlook Arusha savanna are across the lobby from the pool & Mara.
Also on Zebra trail are the rooms facing 11 acre Uzima savanna which is to the right of the lobby. The Uzima savanna view rooms are beyond the pool view rooms. I’ve had views of all 3 savannas & my best animal viewing was from a room on Uzima savanna - but that may have just been because the habits of certain animals coincided with my schedule that trip.
The savanna on the left side of the lobby lieing between Jambo and Kidani is the 14 acre Sunset savanna. More than half the rooms on Kudu trail face Sunset savanna. Sunset savanna tends to have the most zebras. Arusha and Uzima usually have at least a pair of zebras, but Sunset houses the breeding herd for the Mt. zebras. Arusha, Sunset and Uzima savannas all have giraffes. There are several additional species on each savanna. Husbandry moves animals around as needs change, and at times animals creating issues over at Kilimanjaro safari are relocated to one of the AKL savannas - so it’s hard to predict exactly which types of animals will be on which savanna.
I don’t think you’ll be on Ostrich trail, but there are rooms facing Sunset savanna on Ostrich trail too.
Personally I’d probably ask for a 3rd floor room & if on Arusha savanna I’d rather not be too close to the lobby as the Arusha overlook juts out into the savanna cutting off the view a bit from rooms very near the lobby. On the other hand, there’s a feeding spot near the overlook visible from the Kudu trail side & if you are close to the lobby on that side & watching after food has been left you see a parade of animals wandering up.
Even if you don’t see animals initially, keep looking, the animals move throughout their savanna all day & even at times during the night. Watch for the pickup putting food out, if you see it putting browse out the animals will soon follow.

Last edited:
I see your question became buried in the ‘bus/scooter’ thread drift o_O
As you face towards the back of the lobby the central savanna is the 11 acre Arusha savanna. It is a popular savanna to request, especially rooms on Zebra trail - the hallways at Jambo are called trails, btw. Zebra trail is popular because the pool and Mara are just a quick elevator ride down, whereas Kudu trail rooms which overlook Arusha savanna are across the lobby from the pool & Mara.
Also on Zebra trail are the rooms facing 11 acre Uzima savanna which is to the right of the lobby. The Uzima savanna view rooms are beyond the pool view rooms. I’ve had views of all 3 savannas & my best animal viewing was from a room on Uzima savanna - but that may have just been because the habits of certain animals coincided with my schedule that trip.
The savanna on the left side of the lobby lieing between Jambo and Kidani is the 14 acre Sunset savanna. More than half the rooms on Kudu trail face Sunset savanna. Sunset savanna tends to have the most zebras. Arusha and Uzima usually have at least a pair of zebras, but Sunset houses the breeding herd for the Mt. zebras. Arusha, Sunset and Uzima savannas all have giraffes. There are several additional species on each savanna. Husbandry moves animals around as needs change, and at times animals creating issues over at Kilimanjaro safari are relocated to one of the AKL savannas - so it’s hard to predict exactly which types of animals will be on which savanna.
I don’t think you’ll be on Ostrich trail, but there are rooms facing Sunset savanna on Ostrich trail too.
Personally I’d probably ask for a 3rd floor room & if on Arusha savanna I’d rather not be too close to the lobby as the Arusha overlook juts out into the savanna cutting off the view a bit from rooms very near the lobby. On the other hand, there’s a feeding spot near the overlook visible from the Kudu trail side & if you are close to the lobby on that side & watching after food has been left you see a parade of animals wandering up.
Even if you don’t see animals initially, keep looking, the animals move throughout their savanna all day & even at times during the night. Watch for the pickup putting food out, if you see it putting browse out the animals will soon follow.

THank you, I appreciate all of the information.

Also, if this if your first time using Lyft, you can search online for a $5.00 off promo code to use on your first ride. I did that in July as every little bit helps. :)

Quick question... if I hop on a bus to AKL from AK, will it always drop off at Kidani first? If not, what's the process to get there? I've got an ADR for lunch at Sanaa.
AKL has an internal mini-bus that just runs back and forth from Kidani to Jambo all day and will certainly be quicker than taking a theme park bus. It picks up where the Magical Express picks up.

We check out tomorrow, we were initially in 5210 but we were upgraded to a 53– savannah view room when loud (de)construction started in the royal Asante suite on Friday.

Our 53– room is a really long walk but a nice view.

5210 didn’t have the best partial savannah room but was so convenient

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the last time I used uber from AKL to the Contemporary (where Chef Mickey is) it was about $15.

$45 by Minnie van

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter