James Gunn fired

The internet is forever.

That may be a hard lesson for some people to learn. I think it's especially going to be hard on people who were on social media in the early days. Those were mostly young people who have now matured and learned a few things about life along the way and may not have the same feelings and opinions now that they had then. I believe people can grow and mature, and change their opinions on various topics at any age. I know a lot of people who have regrets about things they posted in high school or college, even if those things are more of an embarrassment than anything else (spring break anyone?). I never got involved in the whole social media thing (I prefer to be social in person) but a lot of my friends did.

If your company has zero tolerance, then it doesn't matter whether you made the joke in 1995 or you made it in 2018 - you made it and you are responsible for it. It becomes a slippery slope when there are gray areas - you can’t afford to overlook bad behavior in some people and not in others. Who decides what the statute of limitations is? Who decides if a remark is “bad enough” and when it’s not? It’s encouraging to see Disney following through, even if it means the possible end to a profitable franchise. Unfortunately, I am sure there are many more people in the industry who have similar skeletons in their past. It’s not over.

I am curious to know why you think it is unfair that someone who tweeted about raping kids got fired.

Most of the people who have written about it not being fair are saying that he has changed and he should be given credit for who he is now, not punished for something he did long ago. I don’t know the man, and didn’t see the other movies he’s made or follow his social media. I do support Disney taking a stand and sticking to it. But I can understand the viewpoint of those who think he’s changed and should be given credit for that - because I believe people can change if they choose to. But that doesn’t automatically mean there are no consequences for your prior actions.

For the record, from the bits and pieces I have read about what he posted, it was vile and he should be held accountable for his words.

Most of the people who have written about it not being fair are saying that he has changed and he should be given credit for who he is now, not punished for something he did long ago. I don’t know the man, and didn’t see the other movies he’s made or follow his social media. I do support Disney taking a stand and sticking to it. But I can understand the viewpoint of those who think he’s changed and should be given credit for that - because I believe people can change if they choose to. But that doesn’t automatically mean there are no consequences for your prior actions.

For the record, from the bits and pieces I have read about what he posted, it was vile and he should be held accountable for his words.

I would buy the whole “I’ve changed!” defense if he was some idiot teenager when he posted those things. But he wasn’t...he was in his 40’s! So that excuse holds zero weight with me.

I 100% agree with you about being happy Disney did the right thing and that what he said was horrible. You are really well spoken too! I always admire that about people because I feel like I have to put a lot of thought in to making my posts make sense lol

I would buy the whole “I’ve changed!” defense if he was some idiot teenager when he posted those things. But he wasn’t...he was in his 40’s! So that excuse holds zero weight with me.

I 100% agree with you about being happy Disney did the right thing and that what he said was horrible. You are really well spoken too! I always admire that about people because I feel like I have to put a lot of thought in to making my posts make sense lol

Totally agree. Like as much as we as adults love Disney, it really tends to focus on kids and you can't have someone who joked about raping kids working for your kid based company. He was an adult when he made those jokes. I do not think he's actually a pedo and he was probably trying to make some horribly offense jokes for shock value and yea he's probably changed but I think there's no way Disney could even consider keeping him given the severity of those tweets.

Totally agree. Like as much as we as adults love Disney, it really tends to focus on kids and you can't have someone who joked about raping kids working for your kid based company. He was an adult when he made those jokes. I do not think he's actually a pedo and he was probably trying to make some horribly offense jokes for shock value and yea he's probably changed but I think there's no way Disney could even consider keeping him given the severity of those tweets.

Exactly...I have zero sympathy for him. I figured his goal was to shock and offend and he definitely did so I guess his mission was accomplished lol

I'm one to give the benefit of the doubt. But it's really hard to trust other people again, celebrity or not.

In the case of Mr. Gunn, if he really ever felt remorse or a change of heart. He should have came out from the get-go at that time and take responsibility for the mistake he made and delete the tweets. Accept the consequences. Move on.

This is an age where what you say carries a lot of weight, regardless if it was months or years ago. Those receipts are always with you. All it takes is one thing to ruin you for a long time, and the road to forgiveness is darn near impossible to travel unscathed.

I agree. They were JOKES, maybe not in good taste, but nonetheless, still jokes. I hope he gets another chance, GoG won't be the same without him.

Not maybe not in good taste. Not in good taste at allllll. They were jokes about raping children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter