January 1977 I will never forget....

dyna

DIS Veteran
The year was rang in with a robbery at my then fiancé's home. Among the things stolen our wedding bands. We rush to get new ones the store we bought them at said they could have them in on the 14th Good the wedding was set for the 15th.

On the 9th of Jan we woke to snow falling but we had to go out an get my fiance's guns the drive to the gun show was not that bad..getting home took 5 hrs for a drive that should have taken maybe 1 hr. My parents invited my man to stay but NO he had to get home to the dog. 6 hrs later he made it home.

After the snow it turned COLD it was cold for weeks. During that week the minster called to cancel my wedding but agreed to marry us if we could come to his house. My reception was canceled. I didn't see my man again till Friday when he came out so we could go get our wedding bands. Even then the roads was still covered very heavily in ice an snow. My dad drove us to town in his old car with the snow chains on back tires. My man decided this night he would stay. We still had a couple of things to do early next morning before getting married.

We do not go back home till late Sunday evening, remember DH not been home since Friday afternoon it is VERY COLD outside. 1st thing DH went to bathroom flushed toilet the sewage backed up into bathroom into tub an toilet the septic line had froze. Now we have no bathroom. About 10 pm that night the oil in oil to furnace froze NO HEAT for our home. We did have a mall electric heater that we turned on in bedroom kept us warm over night.

We get up next morning to 2 inches of frost on all exterior walls of the house this is when I figure out mobile homes really are not insulated very well. OHHHHHHHH an over night the electric went out. And every water pipe had busted. NOW NO BATHROOM NO HEAT NO ELECTRIC NO WATER NO problem I got a gas stove I go make breakfast biscuits figure well the kitchen be warmer using the oven.

This was my welcoming to ADULTHOOD an MARRIED LIFE lol...

DH on the other hand is loosing it feeling very remorseful for bringing his bride into this mess. He finally got himself together enough to get phone an phonebook an start calling hotels to see about cost of room for a week. He found 1 just a couple miles from home for 35.00 for the week So off we go.

It was an old motel but clean and warm with everything we needed to get by for the week. While there we got oil delivered got furnace going, went over a couple of days to fix water pipes the electric finally came on the 6th day I think.

Believe it or not my reception was planned for the 3rd Sat in March and it SNOWED again that night an few peeps could not make it up the last hill to the church.

I love that he drove home for his dog. That's my type of man. :lovestruc

Happy Anniversary! :flower3:

In the words of Bruce Springsteen: "Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny..." And now you can! Congrats & Happy Anniversary.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter