January 2019 -Everyone needs deadlines! Diet & Fitness monthly W.I.S.H chat

HappyGrape

DIS Veteran
This is your monthly W.I.S.H. Goals thread. W.I.S.H. stand for "We are Inspired to Stay Healthy!". So, pick a healthy goal for the month and join us!

We will have a schedule of questions/topics and I hope we will get some discussions on those. But otherwise, feel free with anything that is on your mind and which you want to share and/or get some input on.

This will be the weekly schedule:

Motivation Monday
Topic Tuesday
Woo Hoo Wednesday
Topic Thursday
Free-for-All Friday

So, grab a seat, join in and tell us about yourself, your goal and how do you plan to get there! What about yearly goal?

I am looking forward to chatting with all of you!

fb75bc9550f7fbb340f5183859a82c82.jpg

Last edited:
I'm In

My name is Lena and I am 31, and have newly been diagnosed with Celiac so this is a WHOLE new year for me - learning how to cook Gluten Free and finding things I can eat has been a struggle, but I am armed with several new cookbooks from Christmas (from my ever-loving and supportive family)

My Goal for January is to loose 25-30lbs - we have a 2 Week Disney Trip end of DEC 2019 and I want to be in tip-top shape!
DH and I are going on 20-30 minute walks every evening after we both get off work, plus I will be doing some WERQ Classes and I am on WW Freestyle

Looking forward to the motivation!

restarting lazy keto/low carb on 1/2 (tomorrow is DS 6th birthday, so can't start until Wednesday)
current weight is 218.4, goal weight is 199 by June 1st, so that breaks down to 4 a month to lose. goal for 1/31: 214
also planning on getting a minimum of 60 minutes a day exercise, whether run/walk, core calisthenics, or *shudder* walking the treadmill (rather be outside)

Happy New Year All!

il_570xN.1077901144_6riq.jpg

Topic Tuesday
What was 2018 for you in terms of health and diet. What do you need to do differently this year?

"The New Year is all about looking forward and moving in the direction you want to head. The confidence to keep moving forward comes from knowing where you’ve found success. So take a moment to sit and write down all the things you achieved in 2018 – think about all your achievements, no matter the size, and take a bow. All emotional, physical and spiritual successes count towards your soul’s confidence levels. Top them up and start 2019 strong…"
Copy and paste form les mills tribe.

Last edited:
Intro - I am 40, living in Ireland with my 11 year old son and my husband. Last year was wonderfully full on - I did training that will help my career, saved enough money to move house, great vacation, a lot of big and busy projects in work, new car. In terms of achievements, it was fantastic. And yet I find myself in January feeling down as I completely dropped the ball on my healthy eating. Many excuses, but I need to focus on what now for awhile. I will go back to what went wrong in time!

Goal for this month -
lose 3.5 kg
10 * 30 minutes workout sessions
10 * 30 minutes yoga stretch/Pilates sessions
17000 steps a day
count calories
no added sugar, cut down on flour, no meals out

Hi. I’d like to join in. I’ve been visiting Disboards for Disney info for about 9 years. But this is my first time posting. So if I post something I shouldn’t, please let me know.

I live with my husband and boy/girl twin 14 year olds. 3 years ago I lost about 25 pounds following the 21 day fix and just felt a lot healthier and energetic. But the past 2 years, I went back to my old eating habits and got a little bit lazy. So my goal for 2019 is to lose about 30 pounds. I’d actually like to lose most of it by our Disney trip in July.

For this month, I’d like to:
*establish a good workout routine
*attempt to reach 12,000 steps a day (I’m usually below 9,000)
*meal plan for the week with healthier, portion controlled meals
*drink 80 ounces of water a day

Hopefully by following this plan, I can jump start the weight loss and lose about 8-10 pounds in January.

Topic Tuesday
What was 2018 for you in terms of health and diet. What do you need to do differently this year?

Hi. This sounds like a great thread!

I'm 48 (yikes!) and live in Massachusetts with my husband and son (a high-school senior). 2018 was "OK" for me in terms of health and diet, but I got a little lazy in the fall, and and would like to improve in the new year by sticking to my exercise plans better and especially by drinking more water. I'm just coming off a great Disney trip with lots of walking, so I'm going to try and keep that momentum going!

Hello! Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

I’m retired after working 20 years in our local HS library.
I live in PA with my husband of almost 39 years. I have one married daughter and a 9 year old grandson. He’s my biggest motivation for staying healthy! I rejoined WW last summer and lost 26lbs-so my biggest goal for this year is to maintain that weight loss and continue to stay active. So that means meal planning and setting aside a certain time every day to get out and walk.

Hi! I'm joining in. Turned a half century this year. o_O I'm going to Disney with DS (graduating HS this year), DD and my mom in June. We're within 6 months now, so it's getting real.

Topic Tuesday
2018 was pretty good. The first half of the year I only lost about 10 lbs by trying to eat healthy and walking. It was very slow and discouraging. Then I cut way back on carbs. Ate a lot of salads with olive oil and apple cider vinegar plus 3-6 oz protein. It's kind of keto-ish, but I don't have a gallbladder so I'm not as high on fat as that would be. I have to take a digestive supplement to make it work. I quickly (like in a few weeks) dropped weight, and I got off of one of my BP meds. (So now I'm on one plus a prescription potassium supplement. Would love to get off these.) Anyway, in total I've lost 35-40 lbs in 2018. --- What I'd like to do this year is lose another 20lbs. I also need to get back to the salads. (The last two weeks with the holidays has been a fiasco :) ) It's hard though because I live in Wisconsin and the last thing I want to eat is a cold bowl of greens. Maybe I need to figure out what I can do until it warms up again. Soups?... I also think I need to add more exercise. I'm in a walking group at work; we walk at least a half hour at lunch. But I think I need to add in some kind of resistance training and build up some muscle mass.

That's it for now. Looking forward to being a part of this journey...

Hello, Dearies! I'm Joan-with-a-Z,

I'm 43 now, yikes, and I've been off and on the boards for ages, it seems. I worked really hard to get in shape for a 2017 Disney trip, looked great, felt great, ate badly while on the trip but recovered afterwards... for a while... and then fell off the wagon completely... I don't see a trip any time in our near future, but I love the positive energy and conversations on this board, so I'm here for the pixiedust!

My goal this year is to either get my BMI to "healthy" or end the year closer to it than I am now and still actively trying. Unfortunately I don't know how bad the damage is, since when I went to do a weigh-in this morning (first in aaaaaa-ges, my scale was low battery. I know the feeling, scale, but it's time to get to work!!! So I'll be getting a starting point tomorrow, which will be kind of lie, since I started "being good" on the 27th... we'll never know how bad I was, and I'm happy that way!

So, 2018 for me... bit of mixed bag... I "worked" as a study group leader at the local college. "Worked" is in quotes because I put in more than twice as many hours as the program could afford to pay me for, and the pay I did receive didn't really cover the cost of the materials I used, but I spent 2 semesters with a group of awesome people, and it was very fulfilling. The downside, it ate me alive, and I ate a bunch of junk in response to it. So although I loved it, I decided not to renew. It was a really great experience, though, and made me realize that "someday" I'd like to teach part-time at a college like this one, which has led me to tweak how I steer my time between now and then, so that I'll have the right credentials when the time comes. Also, in 2018, my oldest daughter's only hospitalization was a 24-hr drive-thru to get her appendix out. That is HUGE for us. She has a chronic condition and we are coming up on 2 years without major incident (knock on wood.) It's hard to say how much is us managing her care better, how much is her body changing, and how much is dumb luck, but I'll take it!!! Lastly, my husband retired from military service. Twice the husband, half the money. He's still adjusting, and him being home all the time is driving me bonkers, but he is taking a class starting in a few weeks, nothing he'll find very challenging, but at least it will get him out of the house a few hours twice a week. So overall, not a bad year, but I definitely overextended with my study group, and this year I'll be working to get things back in balance.

I'm using sparkpeople to track my nutrition, and for exercise, I usually just walk, using the free MapMyWalk app that is on my phone. Today DD15 came with me and we did 3 miles along a beach trail not far from here. My legs are now telling me that it's not 18 months ago, I'm not in shape, and I'm not as young as I used to be...

Hi. I’d like to join in. I’ve been visiting Disboards for Disney info for about 9 years. But this is my first time posting. So if I post something I shouldn’t, please let me know.

For this month, I’d like to:
*establish a good workout routine
*attempt to reach 12,000 steps a day (I’m usually below 9,000)
*meal plan for the week with healthier, portion controlled meals
*drink 80 ounces of water a day

Hopefully by following this plan, I can jump start the weight loss and lose about 8-10 pounds in January.

We were at Disney last year for 4th of July! Such great vacation!

Great goals. Please feel free to post anything and everything diet & fitness & health & disney or chit chat! :)

Great plan

Hi. This sounds like a great thread!

I'm 48 (yikes!) and live in Massachusetts with my husband and son (a high-school senior). 2018 was "OK" for me in terms of health and diet, but I got a little lazy in the fall, and and would like to improve in the new year by sticking to my exercise plans better and especially by drinking more water. I'm just coming off a great Disney trip with lots of walking, so I'm going to try and keep that momentum going!

Fall is harder, Winter hardest, Spring fab and summer ok for me in terms of healthy living :). Need to manage second part of the year better!

Welcome
:)

Hello! Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

I’m retired after working 20 years in our local HS library.
I live in PA with my husband of almost 39 years. I have one married daughter and a 9 year old grandson. He’s my biggest motivation for staying healthy! I rejoined WW last summer and lost 26lbs-so my biggest goal for this year is to maintain that weight loss and continue to stay active. So that means meal planning and setting aside a certain time every day to get out and walk.

such great loss - well done!

Anyway, in total I've lost 35-40 lbs in 2018. --- What I'd like to do this year is lose another 20lbs. I also need to get back to the salads. (The last two weeks with the holidays has been a fiasco :) ) It's hard though because I live in Wisconsin and the last thing I want to eat is a cold bowl of greens. Maybe I need to figure out what I can do until it warms up again. Soups?... I also think I need to add more exercise. I'm in a walking group at work; we walk at least a half hour at lunch. But I think I need to add in some kind of resistance training and build up some muscle mass.

That's it for now. Looking forward to being a part of this journey...

Impressive loss! Well done. Winters & cold are harder for me too

Hello, Dearies! I'm Joan-with-a-Z,

I'm 43 now, yikes, and I've been off and on the boards for ages, it seems. I worked really hard to get in shape for a 2017 Disney trip, looked great, felt great, ate badly while on the trip but recovered afterwards... for a while... and then fell off the wagon completely... I don't see a trip any time in our near future, but I love the positive energy and conversations on this board, so I'm here for the pixiedust!

M

So, 2018 for me... bit of mixed bag... I "worked" as a study group leader at the local college. "Worked" is in quotes because I put in more than twice as many hours as the program could afford to pay me for, and the pay I did receive didn't really cover the cost of the materials I used, but I spent 2 semesters with a group of awesome people, and it was very fulfilling. The downside, it ate me alive, and I ate a bunch of junk in response to it. So although I loved it, I decided not to renew. It was a really great experience, though, and made me realize that "someday" I'd like to teach part-time at a college like this one, which has led me to tweak how I steer my time between now and then, so that I'll have the right credentials when the time comes. Also, in 2018, my oldest daughter's only hospitalization was a 24-hr drive-thru to get her appendix out. That is HUGE for us. She has a chronic condition and we are coming up on 2 years without major incident (knock on wood.) It's hard to say how much is us managing her care better, how much is her body changing, and how much is dumb luck, but I'll take it!!! Lastly, my husband retired from military service. Twice the husband, half the money. He's still adjusting, and him being home all the time is driving me bonkers, but he is taking a class starting in a few weeks, nothing he'll find very challenging, but at least it will get him out of the house a few hours twice a week. So overall, not a bad year, but I definitely overextended with my study group, and this year I'll be working to get things back in balance.

I'm using sparkpeople to track my nutrition, and for exercise, I usually just walk, using the free MapMyWalk app that is on my phone. Today DD15 came with me and we did 3 miles along a beach trail not far from here. My legs are now telling me that it's not 18 months ago, I'm not in shape, and I'm not as young as I used to be...

your 2017 sounds little like my 2018! Great that your daughter is doing well. Seem you have great plan in mind :)

Woo Hoo Wednesday
e3de76d0a807a12775c831dc54c5e790--best-disney-quotes-walt-disney-quote.jpg

How did you do yesterday? Anything great to report - even if it's just feeling positive?

in order for this discussion to work as intended people have to feel free to post whatever thoughts or issues and topics/questions they feel like every day. Even if it's not the daily topic. The daily topic is just suggestion - lets keep it flexible and support each other.

:)

My whoo hoo is I am feeling positive. I had a lot of things going wrong yesterday and grumpy mood but I love my plan, and looking forward for better days. I did my workout this morning at 6am and lovely walk

Life is good. Grumpy day is part of good life :)

My family always does a big pork and sauerkraut meal for New Years Day. And I was completely exhausted from staying up New Year's Eve. So, yesterday was not a great day for me. Since I'm a teacher and today we go back to school, I figured today would be my official start to making this goal happen. I prepped last night for today. Woke up early and got a good workout in. Healthy meals are prepped and ready to go for today. And I'm already feeling more positive and energetic. I've got the Disney trip to keep me motivated and I'm looking forward to making our Disney dining reservations this month!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!