January 2019 -Everyone needs deadlines! Diet & Fitness monthly W.I.S.H chat

I have been getting by by eating more toward the middle of my calorie range, having a plain salad lunch so that I can have a "naughty cravings" breakfast, and trying to keep busy. My other thread I'm active on right now is a decluttering challenge, and that gave me plenty to do today to help keep my mind off the munchies.

The forecast for tomorrow is pretty rainy, so I'm not sure if I'll get out to exercise or not, but I have plans in the morning, and then the rest of the weekend I'm going to do my best to get through a crochet project, but the yarn is super-hideously-crazy-thin, so it is taking For.ev.er. At least my fingers and wrists are working out!

is it on this forum? I can do with de clutter talk. We are doing a lot of that this weekend!

Yesterday was a busy day for me. After school we had our holiday party at a coworkers house. We always get together after the holidays since everyone seems busy before the holiday. I brought the veggie tray as my appetizer in an attempt to maintain my healthy eating. While I definitely had some cheats, I kept it under control and only had small portions of the less healthy choices. While I didn’t meet my steps goal, I did stay within my calorie range and completely my workout. All in all, a pretty good day.

As I go into the weekend, I worry because we usually go out to eat more on the weekend. I hope to maintain my healthy choices even if we go out to eat. But there will definitely be more temptation. However, I am down a few pounds after just the first three days, so that has me motivated!

This weekend I hope to get the Christmas decorations down and the house back in order/cleaned up from the holidays. Maybe I’ll even get to see Mary Poppins Returns this weekend!

I'm in! It's nice to see new faces as well as the friendly familiar ones.

I'm about to be an empty nester (again). 2018 was up and down. I got a new scale mid way through so don't really know how successful the year was as a whole weight wise. I do know that I have gained some pounds this last month. Working on getting rid of them. I seem to be repeating in my mind a quote from phit-n-phat: give it a pass or wear it on your a**. Unfortunately, my hands aren't listening to my mind as consistently as I'd like! I did just walk by some Oreos in DS2's room so that's progress! Really hope they go on the plane with him in 16 hours!

I'm going to make sure I do my lunges every day, get my steps in and track all food. I enter daily steps and calories under goal (or over) in a spreadsheet and just a bit ago I decided I'd also enter my weekly weigh-in. Maybe seeing that number in front of me every night will help with some motivation. I just pulled out my little monthly calculator tape and realized I've been tracking since August 2017. So a good habit already in place.

Congrats to those sticking to goals!

@MickeyMom76, you'll love Mary Poppins returns!! I saw it on Tuesday, and would definitely watch it again!

I've done well on my water goal two days in a row now. :drinking: But I didn't get out for a walk today due to rain here, so I think I'm going to pull out a yoga DVD for exercise.

I know I've mentioned it before... when doing a cleanse, the "kill all the things" phase starts to kick in around day four, with extreme moodiness and crankiness. I would imagine that even if the switch to "dieting" isn't that severe, you could also be facing similar emotional upheaval, and getting ready to sell your home and purchase a new one can be emotional as well. My plan is to do as little people-ing during that phase as possible and stay home if I can, so people don't have to deal with me.

Speaking of emotions, this has been a highly emotional week here at work: on Tuesday a notification came out that one of the Co-Presidents had suddenly passed away that morning. Last month he had announced he had lymphoma but was planning on continuing to work during the treatment (and was working just last week), so it all sounded pretty good then suddenly he's gone. This is a family run/owned business and he is highly respected in the company and the industry... and he was young at only 59. I've gone from shock/disbelief on Tuesday, to periods of weepiness yesterday, and today I'm finding the resolve to re-dedicate myself to his style of leadership, which is core to the company culture. Last night I was reading comments about him on the company Instagram account and it was really inspirational.

No big plans for the weekend, except that I think I will go to the Nordic Heritage Museum at some point. The Viaduct, an elevated road way that runs along the city waterfront, is closing in about a week and will be torn down: that's the route I would take to get to Ballard, where the museum is, so it will give me the opportunity to drive it one last time. Plus I haven't gone since the new museum opened, so it will be a fun thing to do.

Hope all have a happy and healthful weekend.

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your colleague. The people we work with can truly become a second family. My coworkers were such a comfort and support to me when I lost my parents. I appreciated their kind words and cards more than I can say.

Hello all ... to my old friends - I'm back! and have missed you all - to new friends - nice to meet you :-)

For those of you who don't know me - I join in from sunny Queensland in Australia - so the timing of my posts can be quite different to yours at times. I am almost 46, my birthday is the 20th this month. I work full time and am a solo mum to 3 wonderful kids DS18, DS14 & DD 14 - yes twins - I think I saw a new member mention they also had twins - so we have something in common there!

Things just got way to hectic as 2018 progressed and I became overwhelmed with it all (but remained in some denial about that - right till the end!) - most of my life has been out of control, eating - too much/bad choices - way way too much soft drink, house - clutter/disorganisation, work - me - super busy and never feeling on top of it, kids - one graduated and is starting university next month the other two going into year 10 at high school. My health is a little all over the place as well! I have had an increasing number/frequency of what are thought to be ocular migraines - had another one on Friday while at the shops with my boys - there are scary and I hate them. I have had some GI trouble as well since mid December after having some fish and chips that I think was the trigger.

I have been trying for several years now to change my habits but have only lost the same 2-5kg over and over again! I am motivated to progress further and make it stick for longer this year.

If you have to pick only only habit you want to adopt this month, what would that be? Regardless of what else is going on, and how everything else go - are you committed to one habit that you plan to do daily, your absolute must

Yesterday I had no soft drink at all... I need to continue efforts in changing this habit - so the new habit to adopt is to increase water intake and find some alternatives to soft drink to have a little sweet change of taste.

• I will drink 1-2 lites of water per day
  • I will drink at least 1 litre of water per day before I have an alternative drink
  • I know that I will likely still have some soft drink - but the above goal will help to limit somewhat
  • I will try alternatives to soft drink for drinks - but am looking to limit caffeine in case that has been contributing to the ocular migraines - does anyone have some options they have tried and liked?
it on this forum? I can do with de clutter talk. We are doing a lot of that this weekend!

There is usually a de-clutter thread in the Budget Boards. I binge watched Marie Kondo's "Tidying Up" on Netflix the other day - and that inspired me - I have made a start changing how the folding is done and organised in the wardrobes - I have only made a small start but I can say that the change in when I walk past my walk-in robe or look in the kids wardrobes is definitely bringing me more joy - rather than cringing at how just thrown-in there the clothes usually look - even when they are folded! DD is a little more open to it - DS14 thinks I am nuts and doesn't see the need to change - but then again just getting him to hang-up/put away is ironing/folding is typical of a teenage boy! I want to do the garage in the next week - as I really want to see if we can fit both cars inside - DS18 got his first car at the end of November.

Okay enough chatting for now - I have to wake kids up DD14 has a dentist appointment. Oh yes - being in Australia - we are on our long summer break - another 3 weeks before school goes back and work for me as well - ATM I feel like I need another 6 weeks lol.

@Oneanne - sorry to hear about the loss of someone important in your life :hug:

A mixed weekend: I didn't do the two things I was thinking about (going to the Nordic Museum and seeing Mary Poppins), but I did get started on my New Year's purging and organizing which feels great... it's interesting to read the thread this morning and see that several others are in the same mindset. My intention is to focus on one small area each day for the next two weeks: this weekend I started with my dresser, which has had a pile of stuff laying on it for the last six months, but it's all sorted and organized now.

If the whole Life Challenge was going now I would have earned very few points over the weekend, so I need to be more diligent about practicing this week, so I'm in the right mindset when it does start on the 19th. I've already lost points this morning due to my Starbucks breakfast, so I need to have something really healthy for lunch.

An account I follow on IG had an inspirational post yesterday, with small things to do to get the new year kicked off right... for Mindfulness they suggest starting the day by writing in your journal about things you appreciate and at the end of the day writing down wins you had during the day. I'm going to start doing this in my Bullet Journal and see how it changes things.

upload_2019-1-7_7-45-44.png

@glss1/2fll haha "give it a pass or wear it on your a**. "

@4mickey - welcome back! sorry to hear things were messy for you last year. Hope this year is your time to sort it all out!

Motivation Monday

What strategies do you have to keep you going when things go thought

7956983866_547e739925_b.jpg

Last week while chatting with a gal who works on a different team, we were both bemoaning how often and quickly things change. She asked me if I remembered the Friends episode where they were trying to get the sofa up the stairs and Ross called out "Pivot!" - she said her team references it all the time when they need to change directions. I really liked that, and will start using it with my team. I'm also going to start using it for personal things, like healthy goals... if something isn't working or I've strayed off course, I'm going to tell myself it's time to "Pivot"!

I keep my sneakers by the front door-they are easier to ignore if tucked away in my closet!
My husband runs at least every other day, so I feel guilty if don’t get out for my walk.
Oneanne, I like your reminder we all need to be flexible enough to pivot when things go sideways!

Hi. I remember seeing the Pivot show live. Almost peed myself laughing :)

Anyway, I’m almost well again. I managed to get a walk in today at lunch. I’m also getting closer to my desired “macros.”

My go to strategy is basically to accept I’m not perfect. It’s ok if I ... mess up. I’m getting old. Like look in the mirror and say “who the heck is that” old. But you know what, I’m still here and I’m doing my best. I have a lot going on. I help out my mom a lot. My adult DD has special needs. My DS is in his senior year and thank God he still talks to me, and my DH loves fishing... a lot. I’m currently treating my adopted racing greyhound for hookworm... again. So I’ve gone rogue and I’m using goat dewormer from Farm & Fleet. I can’t afford another round at the vets for ~$250 ... OK I’ll stop ranting now :)

The highlight of my day was one of my coworkers brought her new dachshund puppy into work today. OMG the cutest thing you’ve ever seen. Like ever. Stuff like that can make your week...

Last edited:
Yay, I got to see Mary Poppins last night! LOVED IT! We also managed to get all the inside Christmas decorations down and house cleaned up and back to normal. At some point, the outside Christmas lights need to come down, but the weather never cooperates with the time we're available.

So I think I did pretty well with my eating this weekend. Stayed within my calorie range according to MyFitnessPal. I also got my workouts in. However, I only got about half my steps in. It's difficult when part of your weekend was spent watching a movie, watching my sons basketball game, plus all the time spent in the car driving back and forth. I thought I would have been closer, but its okay. I'm not letting it get to me. These things will happen. I'm just happy I stayed on track with my eating.

Aside from Disney obsession, my other slight obsession is Friends. Loved the PIVOT episode. We just recently got a new sofa delivered, but I had fun yelling PIVOT when we were removing the old one! Not sure my husband thought it was as funny as I did :) I love the idea of using that when going through lives crazy changes!

As for the question of the day, what keeps me going is routine. I do well if I stick to my routine. I get up and do my workout first thing in the morning. I have the same shake every morning for breakfast. If those two things happen, then I'm usually pretty good for the day. But the second I stop that routine, forget it. That was my November and December. My baby sister had her first baby on Nov. 2. We didn't get home from the hospital until about 2am. That completely threw me off my routine and I just couldn't seem to get back into the workout routine with the holidays mixed in there as well. So I'm really trying to stick with the routine, even on a dreary Monday when I'd really rather stay in bed ;)

Like others, my strategy is just routine, routine, routine. Which I am somewhat off at the moment. Next week I'll be back on track. Today was the first day back at work after two weeks off. My coworker and I were commenting on how at home we barely eat, but in the office we're always hungry! We decided it's because we're sitting at our desks instead of moving around the house getting things done. Speaking of moving, I need 300 more steps before bedtime to meet my goal! Pacing, here I come!

This morning a Daily Truth email I subscribe to talked about valuing, loving and respecting ourselves... big challenge for me, and something I hadn't specifically thought about recently, so a very timely reminder. These emails always wrap up with "You are so very loved" and when I read this I am always struck with how powerful that message is. I'm going to make myself a little affirmation sign to paste to the bathroom mirror, so I'm saying it to myself every day... not tied to anything else I'm thinking about or working on, just a daily "I love you".

upload_2019-1-8_7-59-3.png

1 week in, and hit and miss on the goals.

I haven't been getting the 60 minutes of exercise a day, only got 3 good runs in last week.

HOWEVER, I have dropped my weight down to 210.4, so already blasted past by target weight for 1/31. Not gonna let up there, because I know I'm gonna hit a plateau very soon if not already, so I have to power thru it.

Tuesday topic
Favorite healthy and non healthy Disney food. If you have not been to Disney recently - please feel free to use cinema treats
What are your rules for moderating treats?

a6e6a5fad618ea2b0c16bd7ca731f84b--disney-california-disneyland.jpg

my healthy choice from Disney California
I really enjoyed chef art smith last time
images

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!