January 2019 -Everyone needs deadlines! Diet & Fitness monthly W.I.S.H chat

Just saw a video from Goodful with a great meal prep idea-

Mix 1/4 c Dijon mustard, 1/4c honey and three chopped garlic cloves together. Slather both sides of 4 chicken thighs (bone in with skin) and pour any remaining marinade over them. (They should be in an oven proof dish).
On a large baking sheet make individual piles of cubed red potatoes, peeled, cubed sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots (peeled and sliced lengthwise in sticks) chopped red onion, and Brussels sprouts that have been sliced in half. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried thyme, chopped fresh rosemary
and salt and pepper to taste. Mix each pile to coat.
Bake both dishes at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Broil chicken separately for 2-3 minutes to crisp skin.
I’m going to make this tomorrow-we’ll get two dinners out of it.

@digiMom - I couldn't find where I read about sitting on a plateau originally but here is a link to the Mayo Clinic where they explain why they happen and what to do about it https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615

Thanks!

I measure progress kind of loosely. I weigh myself every morning, but think of it more as a bracket I’m in rather than a one-off number. Clothes fitting too. There’s also some health issues I get when I’m not eating well, probably due to inflammation. An old knee injury starts bugging me; I get headaches, usually tension ones that start at the base of my neck; and I start to have trouble sleeping.

We got new standard bag desks at work. I’m really excited. I started my resistance workout add-on. Tuesdays, thursdays and Saturday or Sunday. So off I go :)

Well I just a got a big deadline .... so the title of this months thread is very appropriate for me. Went to GP after blood tests this week... not good I have pushed the boundaries as far as I can and now I MUST make changes. My cholesterol is too high and I am pretty much in the pre-diabetic range. So she has given me one month to make some changes to see some downward change on bloods or else I am looking down the barrel of cholesterol medication and type 2 diabetes.

So I have to lose weight and shift to a lower carb whole food eating style.

Its not like I am surprised but still am feeling a little overwhelmed... but just plan to research and dive in.

Did she give you any specific advise @4Mickeys on diet plan that would suit you. I have a family member that was put on low carb fodmap diet and got great results for her cholesterol and blood sugar but it's thought one and she had to work very closely with the dietitian to figure out a plan for her. It's not something she could do herself

Well I just a got a big deadline .... so the title of this months thread is very appropriate for me. Went to GP after blood tests this week... not good I have pushed the boundaries as far as I can and now I MUST make changes. My cholesterol is too high and I am pretty much in the pre-diabetic range. So she has given me one month to make some changes to see some downward change on bloods or else I am looking down the barrel of cholesterol medication and type 2 diabetes.

Its not like I am surprised but still am feeling a little overwhelmed... but just plan to research and dive in.

I can certainly see where you would be overwhelmed. I know I'm new to this group, but I know you can do this! You sound like you have a great attitude going into it! And we're all here to support you through this. Just keep celebrating your successes on here and we'll celebrate with you. And let us know when you are struggling so we can pick you back up :)

I have absolutely love reading about everyone's journey to getting healthy or staying healthy. I find this forum to be extremely helpful and positive! Thank you to everyone who posts. I am just a little slow learning all the little things about posting (like quotes, posting pics, etc). But I'm getting there. I'm just loving how open everyone is about their struggles and how positive everyone else is in lifting them up. This is definitely a great place to be. And the little extra is that everyone here understands my Disney obsession as well! :earboy2: It really is one of my best motivators!

Did she connect you with a nutritionist or have any guidance? Everyone I know that has a similar diagnosis has been set up with appointments to get them started.
You can do this, but don’t be afraid to ask for help!

We are here for you as you make these changes!

Hi all,

I haven't posted yet this week, as I'm traveling again and my time/schedule is wonky... headed home mid-day and ever so grateful it wasn't a full week this time.

I did get a lot of my beginning-of-the-year-straightening-chores done before I left - when I get home I start doing the heavy lifting and getting into closets that are full to over flowing. Over the coming weekend I will be emptying and scrubbing the 'fridge, and the pantry to get ready for the Whole Life Challenge.

The theme of 2019 is already clear to me... it's a year of totally re-making myself top-to-bottom, in ways I didn't even suspect were needed. Time to get to work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your kind words and support.

No I have not been connected with a dietician yet - I kind of thought she would suggest that too. But here is the thing I did connect with a couple of dieticians in 2017 and frankly it didn't really do that much - or the way I thought it would go - it was very general and mostly stuff I already know - but just wasn't doing.

GP is suggesting Low Carb along the lines of Ketogenic style eating and gave this website for information https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Has anyone else on here had success not just losing weight but turning their risk factors around using this eating style? I will just have to make sure the kids get a modified version where they still get the carbs they need.... as I don't want to be cooking vastly different meals for everyone.

And of course I have to start moving more. I have talked with the kids and they know that I really need to be better at making changes and have asked for their help e.g. not asking for takeout as often, not giving me huge complaints when we try a new recipe (although sometimes you do get a bad one!), getting moving with me. I have also told them that the changes will help them long term as the way we are eating now is just setting them up for this to happen in their future due to the bad habits and genetic pre-disposition. They are teens so they can handle these conversations better than littler kiddos.

I will make some thoughtful choices in the next few days and then things will start in earnest on Monday - so that I can enjoy some birthday cake on Sunday with the family :rolleyes1

Has anyone else on here had success not just losing weight but turning their risk factors around using this eating style? I will just have to make sure the kids get a modified version where they still get the carbs they need.... as I don't want to be cooking vastly different meals for everyone.

I started eating this way last June. I’ve lost about 35 pounds and got off one of my blood pressure meds. I could probably get off the other one but sometimes my pressure’s reactive so I’m just leaving it for now. I didn’t have high cholesterol but my numbers have gotten a lot better. My doctor was really happy with the results so far.

To get started I downloaded an app called Cronometer. The free one. It has a keto setting so you can track what you’re doing. Now that I have an idea of what a day looks like I don’t do it so much any more.

I would say it’s important to make sure you get enough vegetables. The diet is a natural diuretic and it’s easy to become deficient if you’re not careful. I’m actually on a potassium supplement because between my BP med and my diet my blood work showed up low.

For family meals, just make a meat you’re allowed to eat with sides. You eat the meat with cooked veggies or put it on a salad with oil and vinegar.

I don’t want to take up space here with more details; I could go on and on. But feel free to pm me if you have questions. I learned a lot watching YouTube videos :)

Topic Thursday!

Fats - are there any fats you avoid? What are your go to sources of good fat? Do you feel you have the fat in your diet on point or do you need to add more or cut some? Do you take fish oil supplements?

...are there any fats you avoid? What are your go to sources of good fat? Do you feel you have the fat in your diet on point or do you need to add more or cut some? Do you take fish oil supplements?

I don't strictly eliminate anything, but my DH had heart surgery a few years ago, so we definitely limit saturated and trans fats. We generally have salmon once a week, and I like avocado and nuts as healthy sources as well. I don't take fish oil supplements, but my DS does, as he hates salmon (always eats something else that night) and has braces, so no nuts right now.

We typically eat skinless chicken, turkey, ham, pork, shrimp and only have red meat about once a week. I try to limit the use of butter, cheese and other dairy items. I usually replace butter with extra virgin olive oil when possible. I even spray it on steamed veggies (rather than adding butter like my husband and mother will do) and the kids don't seem to mind. I do usually have 2 hardboiled eggs for breakfast, almonds as a snack, occasionally add avocado to a sandwich or salad (usually when eating out) and if I do sneak in some chocolate, I try to have dark chocolate.

I do love salmon, but don't eat it often enough. I also love good butter, really good butter... at Flying Fish the butter they served was freshly made in-house from cream fresh and I ate it all. But I don't eat butter often, so I don't feel like it's an issue for me. I need to eat avocado more often, and I do take an omega supplement. And I do like good cheese, really good cheese... there's a theme growing here. Overall, since I'm so sugar heavy in my dietary choices, I'm probably not getting enough fats.

You can do this also - we can work together to make this our year!

Yes we can! I'm glad I decided to change doctor's because I have to do a complete health history with her which is really going to help set a clear baseline of where I am, whcih I didn't feel was happening with my other doctor. Lots of work ahead!

Butter for special occasions-limit cheese (love it, sigh). We don’t eat fast food and don’t buy packaged sweets except for pieces of dark chocolate. Pizza maybe once every two weeks. So when a holiday or vacation comes around or a dinner out for a birthday or anniversary I eat what I want!
We eat salmon once a week, I cook with olive oil and snack on almonds (1/4 cup). Red meat maybe once every two weeks. I do take fish oil capsules on my doctor’s advice. He’s a big believer.

Ok. For a long time I avoided fats. They were bad. If you ate fat you’d be fat was the message. Meanwhile I kept getting bigger and bigger. I lost my gallbladder. Hmm..

So I came across this: the definition of insanity is trying the same things over and over and expecting different results. So I thought “what the heck... give keto at try...”

I’m eating more fats than ever, but not as much as true keto. Olive oil, salmon, avocado, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, nuts, cheese, ... even heavy whipping cream in my coffee. (But no sugar) I’m taking Now digestive enzymes with each meal so I can do this.

I think the trick is fats in combination with carbs is pretty bad cardiovascular wise. So If you want to go the whole grain route you need to go low fat. If your body doesn’t respond well to that, try the low carb intermittent fasting plan and see how you do with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter