January 2019, what would you do?

Nicks2001

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

I could really use some advice: I'm planning a eight night trip in January 2019 for six people, three who have never been before, so I'd like them to have the best experience possible. I like going in January, as it is usually one of the slower times of the year, however January 2019 is looking like it's going to be a very busy month there! Marathon weekend from January 9th - 13th, MLK Day on January 21st, and the Pro Bowl on the 27th. I'm thinking maybe trying to squeeze in the visit right after New Year's Eve, something like January 2nd to January 10th, the 22nd to the 30th, or possibly the end of January into February, something like the 26th to the 3rd. I was there during the Pro Bowl weekend last year, and it really had minimal impact on the crowd level. What dates would you guys pick? My dates are flexible, and I'd prefer to avoid the massive crowds that these events and the holiday brings. I'm leaning towards the beginning of the month, but I'm just not sure. I figure we'd actually start with the parks on the 3rd, so I'm hoping the majority of the crowds would be gone by then, and maybe do our last park day on the 8th, maybe the 9th to avoid the marathon crowds that are coming in. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

Hey all,

I could really use some advice: I'm planning a eight night trip in January 2019 for six people, three who have never been before, so I'd like them to have the best experience possible. I like going in January, as it is usually one of the slower times of the year, however January 2019 is looking like it's going to be a very busy month there! Marathon weekend from January 9th - 13th, MLK Day on January 21st, and the Pro Bowl on the 27th. I'm thinking maybe trying to squeeze in the visit right after New Year's Eve, something like January 2nd to January 10th, the 22nd to the 30th, or possibly the end of January into February, something like the 26th to the 3rd. I was there during the Pro Bowl weekend last year, and it really had minimal impact on the crowd level. What dates would you guys pick? My dates are flexible, and I'd prefer to avoid the massive crowds that these events and the holiday brings. I'm leaning towards the beginning of the month, but I'm just not sure. I figure we'd actually start with the parks on the 3rd, so I'm hoping the majority of the crowds would be gone by then, and maybe do our last park day on the 8th, maybe the 9th to avoid the marathon crowds that are coming in. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

I don't know. There seemed to be quite a few reports of crowds staying up much more than people thought they would for that first week of Jan this year. We're in NC, and my guess is school's here won't go back until the 3rd or even 4th of Jan. There'll be a lot of people who won't mind keeping their kids out of school for a couple more days and try that week over Christmas week.

My choice would be the last two weeks after MLK day, especially since you already experienced Pro Bowl and didn't see much impact.

The other factor here is where are you coming from and how are you getting there? Remember winter storms can impact travel all over the east coast for air travel. Driving could be impacted as well. These first couple weeks have also been all over the map for temps, even in FL. I think the later in Jan, early Feb, the better chance you'll have for good weather.

I think the 26th to the 3rd is fine, just keep in mind the weekend crowds will probably be heavier than the midweek crowds if the weather's nice. Granted it was 5 years ago, but I went 1/28 to 2/1 and the weather was pretty decent, crowds definitely not a factor. It only got "crowded" on Thursday/Friday when the cheerleaders arrived.

I went the last week of January 2017, going in 2 weeks, and plan to go, the last week of January 2019. You are correct that the Pro Bowl had no impact. Kids are on winter break the first week of January and that is also race weekend. Looking at the wait times and Fastpass availability, this has been a pretty busy weekend. So going late January is a naturally good time for us to go. That’s my vote, but of course I’m particularly bias.

we went last january (after MLK weekend was over, before pro bowl) and it was busier than i expected. We went this year the 6th-13th and had gnarly marathon crowds thru the tuesday. it really lightened up after that, but heading into MLK weekend was insane again. I really feel like disney is doing all they can not to have slow times. festival of the arts started up as well.

If I were you I would look at late January or early February. Keep in mind it's harder to find an off season. As you move into February you will begin to run into cheer competitions

The other factor here is where are you coming from and how are you getting there? Remember winter storms can impact travel all over the east coast for air travel. Driving could be impacted as well. These first couple weeks have also been all over the map for temps, even in FL. I think the later in Jan, early Feb, the better chance you'll have for good weather.

We'd be coming from New Jersey, but haven't decided yet on how to get there. Flying would definitely be the easiest way, but the winter weather is always on my mind.

I'm definitely resigned to the fact that there really isn't an off season anymore. At this point, I'll plan for the end of January and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!

Alex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!