January 2020 Check In***Official***

Darn no parades during our trip...I love the parades!
I really hope there are just announcements yet to come (like some sort of 'existing' parade to fill the gap.) I can't believe they wouldn't have any at all for almost two months!

I am glad my birthday made us pick early January dates! The first few days might be crazy busy but at least everything will be open.

Just got back on Sunday from 3 fun filled days and said I wouldn't be able to go back for quite a while...fast forward to yesterday around noon and I have plane tickets, a hotel and a reservation at Blue Bayou for Jan 18-20! UGH my BFF in Colorado convinced me to go with her and her son for the opening of ROTR. We are crazy!!!

Looking at the schedule online, it doesn't look like there will be a fireworks show for MLK weekend. Is that normal? Thought they would have them weekend only. Hopefully they will update the calendar later.

We are an extended family travelling together this January. There are 14 of us staying at Tropicana Inn from January 7th til the 15th. We are a mixed bunch with some of us having been to DL many times, some not for 20 years and a few have never been before. It is going to be amazing. 🤩

Going on an adults only trip Jan 24-28. Excited to see the Lunar New Year Celebration, Galaxy's Edge and (hopefully there are no delays) Rise of the Resistance!!! We are staying at Grand Legacy, but I think I'll keep an eye on hotel deals to see what pops up. Sure would love to do a place that offers breakfast for a reasonably similar price. If not... does anyone know what the Cove Market at Tropicana Inn and Suites sells by way of breakfast food? It would be a closer walk than the CVS across Katella.

Just added a quick trip for 1/28. Yay!

Had been trying to decide between several January dates. There was a lot to consider--before or after Christmas switch over, before or after ROTR, before or after HM goes down... I finally just went for the cheap flights + Disneyland = happiness, and booked for after everything switches around. I'll be heading back in May to catch whatever I missed anyway :)

Getting excited now that I have the date decided!

We are an extended family travelling together this January. There are 14 of us staying at Tropicana Inn from January 7th til the 15th. We are a mixed bunch with some of us having been to DL many times, some not for 20 years and a few have never been before. It is going to be amazing. 🤩
Wow! How many rooms are you going to have for such a large group?
Have any of you stayed at the Tropicana before? We will be staying there too but later in the month and we have never stayed there before.

Going on an adults only trip Jan 24-28. Excited to see the Lunar New Year Celebration, Galaxy's Edge and (hopefully there are no delays) Rise of the Resistance!!! We are staying at Grand Legacy, but I think I'll keep an eye on hotel deals to see what pops up. Sure would love to do a place that offers breakfast for a reasonably similar price. If not... does anyone know what the Cove Market at Tropicana Inn and Suites sells by way of breakfast food? It would be a closer walk than the CVS across Katella.
We will have some overlap with you! Jan 22-26 for us! Are you going to do DCA for the 25th? We are so excited for the Lunar New Year! We planned this trip around the festival (we have never been though).

Just added a quick trip for 1/28. Yay!

Had been trying to decide between several January dates. There was a lot to consider--before or after Christmas switch over, before or after ROTR, before or after HM goes down... I finally just went for the cheap flights + Disneyland = happiness, and booked for after everything switches around. I'll be heading back in May to catch whatever I missed anyway :)

Getting excited now that I have the date decided!
YAS! We did the same with cheap flights. Got a doozy of a story to share if you really want to hear our flight deals :) We will be leaving before you arrive but I love finding another deal hunter!

YAS! We did the same with cheap flights. Got a doozy of a story to share if you really want to hear our flight deals :) We will be leaving before you arrive but I love finding another deal hunter!

Oh, I always love a good bargain hunting story, especially in regards to flights. Do tell!

Disneyland.com has posted hours for the first full day of our trip Jan 26th. Indy and splash aren’t listed as down for refurb. Do you think we are safe??

Wow! How many rooms are you going to have for such a large group?
Have any of you stayed at the Tropicana before? We will be staying there too but later in the month and we have never stayed there before.

We will have 7 rooms, 2 people per room. Yes we have stayed at the Tropicana before, probably 7 or 8 times. It is fine although we are really only in the rooms to sleep , shower and dress. We have never used the pool so I can’t comment on that. The shop is handy although a little bit pricey and the laundry is handy although there arent that many washing machines or dryers. All in all the short walk and reasonable price makes it worth it to us.

Disneyland.com has posted hours for the first full day of our trip Jan 26th. Indy and splash aren’t listed as down for refurb. Do you think we are safe??
I hope so with indy, I think given Grizzly River run is posted as being down I would be surprised for them to also shut down splash at the same time. Fingers crossed with Indy!! We are going the week before and I have been anxiously waiting for them to post something more about it.

Oh, I always love a good bargain hunting story, especially in regards to flights. Do tell!

Okay, hold onto your hat!
Starting in 2018, we went on a trip with Southwest but over time, the price kept lowering so I kept getting the lower price with flight credit for future use. We used that credit January of this year before it expired ... but THEN we experienced mechanical issues and were issued $100 vouchers each.
Cut to this past October and Southwest was having a crazy winter sale. Flights from Minneapolis, MN (MSP) to Long Beach, CA (LGB) were $65 one way! I had enough points to buy our one way flights out. Then, the return flight was about $137-ish, but we had those vouchers ... so we ended up paying about $76 for round trip tickets for two from MSP to California!
Wait, wait, it gets better; the vouchers expire 1/27/2020 ... our dates are 1/22-26! We wanted to go for the Lunar New Year festival and it turns out that the weekend of the new year was one of the cheapest!
To top it off, I expressed disappointment on Southwest's Twitter account about how they price hiked their Early Bird option (paying for them to check you in early for best boarding class). A few weeks later, I got 4 drink vouchers in the mail from them :o Those will come in handy for the non-stop MSP to Oakland, CA portion of our flights.

Yeah, that is our epic story of flights ... I'm still in disbelief

Okay, hold onto your hat!
Starting in 2018, we went on a trip with Southwest but over time, the price kept lowering so I kept getting the lower price with flight credit for future use. We used that credit January of this year before it expired ... but THEN we experienced mechanical issues and were issued $100 vouchers each.
Cut to this past October and Southwest was having a crazy winter sale. Flights from Minneapolis, MN (MSP) to Long Beach, CA (LGB) were $65 one way! I had enough points to buy our one way flights out. Then, the return flight was about $137-ish, but we had those vouchers ... so we ended up paying about $76 for round trip tickets for two from MSP to California!
Wait, wait, it gets better; the vouchers expire 1/27/2020 ... our dates are 1/22-26! We wanted to go for the Lunar New Year festival and it turns out that the weekend of the new year was one of the cheapest!
To top it off, I expressed disappointment on Southwest's Twitter account about how they price hiked their Early Bird option (paying for them to check you in early for best boarding class). A few weeks later, I got 4 drink vouchers in the mail from them :o Those will come in handy for the non-stop MSP to Oakland, CA portion of our flights.

Yeah, that is our epic story of flights ... I'm still in disbelief
Good job! I will take your story as my reminder to keep following flight prices, because I always stop looking, so I never know if it lowers!

We will be there for weekend of 1/24 for DS's 23rd birthday. Been following RotR thread over at WDW forum and really hoping we'll be able to ride.

Edited to add ... Oops! We are DVC owners at VGC and that's where we'll be staying :)

Last edited:
We are planning a January visit with our two year old. It will be her first time but we are fairly well seasoned Disneyland visitors and can’t wait to share the magic with her. We are staying at BW across the street, and chose Tuesday the 21st as our day in the parks. Now I am heartbroken to see that the carousel will be down 😭 we live in Vegas so it’s a quick drive over and now I’m debating leaving earlier Monday 1/20 to head over so we can have a half day at Disneyland to catch the carousel and Haunted Mansion before they go down on 1/21... My concern is since it’s MLK and ROTR opening, will that Monday be absolute mayhem?? We chose Tuesday 1/21 for its likelihood of smaller crowds, making it more tolerable for a toddler’s first visit. We have a character breakfast booked on 1/22 (her actual birthday) too. I cannot wait for this trip!! 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter