January 2020 Check In***Official***

Out trip will be 1/9-1/14 for DB bday on the 12th. We visited in OCT 18 and had good time fitting in everything we could in one day. My question is what 2 days of the week would you visit it you had to choose from Thurs-Monday. We fly in late Thursday but I was still thinking Fri and Monday. We come from the midwest so the time change wont be too bad for getting going on the first am.
We are staying over in Huntington beach our other favorite spot -got a deal at the overpriced Hilton for an issue we had the last time we stayed. I hate how they nickel and dime you on everything but DB wants to stay by the beach and I am not objecting!
Mondays tend to be surprisingly crowded, so I try to avoid them unless I have no choice.

Mark Twain Riverboat and It's a Small World Holliday also close on the 7th. No idea for how long though.

I'm pretty disappointed too. I'll be there 13-17th.

How long does SMH normally go down to remove the overlay? Hopefully SMH and HM aren't down at the same time.

Yes. On the park hours calendar (on day view) you can see refurbishments. Calendar is up to the 7th of January at the moment and both Mark Twain and SMH are on there.
I'm pretty disappointed too. I'll be there 13-17th.

How long does SMH normally go down to remove the overlay? Hopefully SMH and HM aren't down at the same time.
SMH? Is this IASWH? IASWH and HMH don't go down at the same time -- so no need to worry about that. HMH goes down first, usually right after Holiday Time ends. When HM comes back up, IASWH goes down. That way, you always have at least one of those rides up and running while the other one has the overlay removed.

I have no idea why I wrote SMH. I'm referring to small world holiday. Down for refurb from the 7th.

Interesting that HMH isn't on the refurb list then. So it looks like IASWH will have the overlay removed first in January, then HMH.

Interesting that IASWH will go down before HMH this year. I'm glad because it means HMH will be open during my dates.

Interestingly, the daily calendar still doesn't show Snow White as being down for refurb on the 7th or 8th.

See I was totally fine missing HMH (not fans of Nightmare before Christmas), but I love Disney history and was so looking forward to seeing the original IASW. We love it at WDW and I know DL's is supposed to be way better (and the holiday overlay seems so fun). Oh well, guess this means we'll need a return trip to see it!

Grr, I have terrible rehab-luck. Leave it to me to pick the year they invert the usual pattern to go in mid-Jan. HMH sounds fun and all but really didn't rank on my must-see list. I really wanted DH to see the DLR version of Small World, with or without the holiday overlay! It is so much better than the WDW version.

Snow White doesn't much matter to me one way or the other, but I'm getting anxious to see dates for the upcoming Indy refurb. That's another of our DLR must-sees for DH's first/maybe only trip to the Anaheim parks, so I'm REALLY hoping that doesn't end up closing right after the holidays too.

Grr, I have terrible rehab-luck.
So my funny story is that we've never ridden mark twain riverboat because it wasn't a priority on our first WDW trip and was closed on both our second and third WDW trips. And now again it'll be closed for our first DL trip! I'm sure I'm not missing much, but come on lol! :rotfl:

I’m actually THRILLED to get to see HMH (park days being 1/12-1/6). I don’t care too much about IASWH. I only ride it because it’s traditional. But, this is only my second trip, the first being the year before their 60th, so tons of headliners were down for refurb (in June!) so I’m overall bummed to see the same amount of closures again, though 5 years apart and a completely different time of year...

I’m a little late here but I will be going January 15-18. I’m staying at a nearby Airbnb within walking distance. I actually purposely planned the trip around ROTR opening because I’m crazy and want that exciting experience of being one of the first on the most complicated ride at DL.

We may change the dates if certain rides are closed. If Splash Mountain is closed the whole trip, we’ll move the dates to be able to go on it. I know January is a likely time for Splash to be down but tomorrow marks 6 weeks before our trip (when ride closures are listed on Disneyland.com). Splash isn’t closed on the 14th which is the day before our trip so I’m not too worried. I’m also crossing my fingers that IJ won’t be down yet.

Has anyone noticed something’s weird with the park hours on Disneyland.com? The week I’m going, all the park hours released for that week so far (January 12, 13, and 14) just have a dash for park hours. The only thing listed is the rides that will be closed for refurbishment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!