January 26th, 2018 5-Night Bahamian on Magic

114 days left!!! Just a quick note to everyone - there are quite a few of our members who asked to join the FE (awesome!) but don't have enough messages for us to direct message (you need 10 posts on the DIS boards for the DM to turn on). If you could work on a few more posts that would be great!! Then message either myself or @mimi2ty to let us know you are ready to go! We will send you the details we are collecting and then add you to the list! :)

@Amym2696 @Teepeechu @adamki
@Anna Johnson

@Myka[/QUO
114 days left!!! Just a quick note to everyone - there are quite a few of our members who asked to join the FE (awesome!) but don't have enough messages for us to direct message (you need 10 posts on the DIS boards for the DM to turn on). If you could work on a few more posts that would be great!! Then message either myself or @mimi2ty to let us know you are ready to go! We will send you the details we are collecting and then add you to the list! :)

@Amym2696 @Teepeechu @adamki
@Anna Johnson

@Myka
yes my still interested but have a few more messages to go!

@Teepeechu-the FE list is started so as soon as you send me your information I can add you and send it out so you can get started--shopping is one of the best parts for me :)

Has anybody done a cruise in the Bahamas during January? If so, what is the weather usually like?

Has anybody done a cruise in the Bahamas during January? If so, what is the weather usually like?
Thanks to school schedules, we've been on a few January cruises.

The average water temperature in the Bahamas in January is nearly 75°F (compared to over 85°F in August) and the average air temperature is 79°F. We've had no problems snorkeling the lagoon at Castaway Cay. We're not big beachgoers, so we don't tend to spend the whole day at the beach anyway. You might consider wearing rash guards for additional warmth. They even sell thermal rash guards if you feel like you need it.

On the ship, the pools are well heated, so you won't have any problems there.

Hi everyone! As I was looking at excursions in Nassau, I found the Hilton which is only a 10 minute walk from the port offers day passes for $79/adult! Kids under 5 are free! Included is a $40/food credit per adult, access to the beach, pool, towels, etc. I emailed the hotel to make sure this wasn’t too good to be true and they confirmed it is indeed a thing! They sent me this link to purchase the passes ahead of time: https://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/nassau-hilton-day-pass-nassau/

We will most certainly be doing this! Can’t beat the price and hassle free proximity to the port!

Just an update since the Castaway Club Silver check-in window starts over the weekend.
  • All the port arrival times are still available, check in at midnight and you should still be able to grab an early PAT.
  • The only on-ship activities that are sold out are the Frozen and Princess Gatherings on Nassau Day. There is still availability for both Gatherings on the Sea day. This is the same as when I checked in a couple of weeks ago.
  • At Castaway Cay, the Watercraft Ski Adventure (C12, Single and Double) is sold out along with all the Cabanas.

Happy Silver Day! Although the weather cancelled the planned bonfire we fired up a little camp stove and still got those marshmallows toasted :) And most importantly we were on at midnight doing out check-in. 90 days!!! (also happy birthday tomorrow to this thread)

HUGE thanks to adamki for the updates. We were able to get our 11:00 PAT, works out great since we are staying right by port and have an 11:00 check out time. We also got the tasting and gatherings we wanted, going to be a busy sea day for us. So far this morning everything looks like what adamki listed on Thursday so it looks like there may be quite a few brand new cruisers on this sailing. The good news for those on these boards is that a lot of new cruisers might not be aware of getting on early for check-in, so even at 75 days you have the advantage by being part of the Disboards community!

November 12th is right around the corner!

Not sure how to navigate/use this forum yet. (just joined). Looking for Fish extender information

Thanks.
DisneyDreamer2018

Manifest:

Fish Extender:
@crowls and @mimi2ty are organizing the DisBoard FE for this cruise. Let one of them know if you would like to join the FE group or have any questions regarding it.

Last edited:
First time Disney cruiser. Celebrating finishing graduate school with the entire family. Any insider information would be appreciated. Thanks!

@DisneyDreamer2018 finishing graduate school is great news! You can send me your information for FE- I can add you to the list.Please send me name of each person participating, title (mom, dad, daughter, son), age (if you desire), cabin number and if you want to include any fun information (fav. character etc). If you want to start a conversation to send privately you have to have 10 messages on disboards so message away!
Have you been on other cruise lines or is this first cruise ever??

@mimi2ty. I will send you my information when I am able to send it privately. I'm guessing these count as messages? I'm curious to know a bit more about FE. How many goodies do you bring with you to pass out to others? I've only been on 1 other cruise 12 years ago. We are really looking forward to this.

Thank you!

@mimi2ty. I will send you my information when I am able to send it privately. I'm guessing these count as messages? I'm curious to know a bit more about FE. How many goodies do you bring with you to pass out to others? I've only been on 1 other cruise 12 years ago. We are really looking forward to this.

Thank you!
Yes, these count as messages. You'll notice that as you post your message counter will increase (when using a regular web browser it's located to the of your posts under your name). You can also click on your name for more details and stats. You've got six messages to go ... I don't think anyone cares if you post short messages here or on a test thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/test-thread.3503662/

@DisneyDreamer2018 -once you get FE list you buy for those on your list-- and they do the same for your family. I can try to find the details on FE for you. There is a lot of info on here too if you just search FE.
Once you private message me with your info I can add it to list and get list out to you so you can get started.

Welcome to the group and boards DisneyDreamer2018! Looks like you have started getting the hang of posting. Congratulations on booking your first DCL cruise, it will be a fantastic experience and I'm glad you picked this one. And of course, congratulations on finishing grad school! It is an accomplishment worth celebrating!

This is posted further up, but here is a good summary of FE by PrincessShmoo who is one of the most prolific posters on the forum:

WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish (but can be a starfish or sea horse): View attachment 203255 View attachment 203257

The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish, much like a pocketed organizer. View attachment 203258

By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plain. Some are store bought, some are homemade. Search "Disney fish extender" and you will get options that range in price. You should make sure your Fish Extender is between 8" & 12"" wide. Otherwise it starts to get in the way of your stateroom door. It should not exceed 5 feet; otherwise it will hit the floor. If you are creating your own it is suggested you make the pockets a little deeper than normal too. It will keep items from falling out and keep curious hands from reaching in (average depth is 5-6 inches)but 8-11 is a better way to go if you are making it yourself

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

If my math is correct, we've got 76 days left. So tonight at midnight the check-in window opens up for first-time cruisers.

Good news: it looks like all of the port arrival times are still available (11:00 might be full, but I can't tell since I have it selected).

On Castaway Cay, "Watercraft Ski Adventure (C12)" that was sold out a couple of weeks ago has opened back up again. Other than that, it looks like all other activities are available (except for cabana rentals).

The time slots for Frozen and Princess Gatherings are getting limited, so if you want to lock in a time for those on our Sea Day, you might want to book those quickly tonight. They do reserve some tickets for distribution on-board, so if you don't get the time you want, you may be able to trade for something different on January 26th. I also suspect that the gatherings that are scheduled for our Nassau day but have been listed as 'sold out' from the beginning of my check-in window are being held back for either tonight/tomorrow or on board booking.

First time Disney cruiser here! How do I sign up for the FE? We are sailing with grandma and grandpa, Mom and dad, and two girls (1yo, almost 4yo).

Welcome @PerkParty!!! To join FE you can direct message your details to @mimi2ty ...that said to turn on direct messaging you must have 10 messages on the boards. (Number in the bottom right corner of your name). 10 can build up really quickly - just ask questions on the boards - lots of really informative people out there!
When you have 10 you can send your names, cabin # and any "interesting" facts (i.e. first cruise, birthday while on cruise, etc) to mimi. Not sure when the cut-off for FE will be but the sooner we get your details the sooner we get to start shopping ha ha :)

Has anyone rented a stroller on the cruise before? What kind is it? Is it worth it?
They don't rent strollers on board. There are a few available free on a first come, first served basis (they take a deposit). The strollers used to be three wheeled joggers, but I don't know what they are these days.

I wouldn't count on getting one though. When our kid was stroller sized, we used to fly to Florida with no stroller and then stop at Wal-Mart and buy a cheap stroller. If the trip ended at Disney World, we would go to the stroller rental line at a park on the last day of the trip and find a family that was starting their trip to give it to.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/strollers/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!