January tips please!

button409

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
Its our first trip with the kids in January and hoping for low crowds (aside from MLK weekend). Staying at FQ for 14 nights with the QSDP and so so excited! Starting to put an itinerary together and to plan our FP+. Planning on using EMH, especially for SWGE and Rise of the Resistance. Any tips on what to pack, what to do and prioritise much appreciated! My little boy is 5 and Toy Story obsessed, my 3 year old girl loves all Princesses and Toy Story and my littlest one will be 21 months and she loves anything bright!

As for packing, you might be best waiting to finalize until the forecast comes out. We went in January in 2018 and had great weather. Started the day in shorts and sweatshirts...quickly removed the sweatshirts for the day and sometimes put them back on in the evening. However, I know people who went the exact same week this year that we did in 2018 and they were wearing hats and gloves for a few days. I would suggest a variety of clothes, some shorts, some pants, some sweatshirts, some t-shirts. We did swim one day for a little bit but it was cooler so really the kids swam while we sat in the hot tub.

Some quick tips:

dress everyone in layers. Weather is so wonky then.

bring things for kids to do in line, stickers, imagine ink books (love those!), snacks

I usually only book one dining reservation a day, usually lunch. It’s a nice break for everyone and you might have days where the kids are too tired and cranky for dinner at a restaurant and rushing around in the morning to make a breakfast reservation with small kids is no fun

dumbo play area at MK is great to get some energy out of the kids are in strollers too long
Epcot also has a playground

My biggest tip would be not to rush, do everything nice and slow. Pool time for kids at that age is probably more fun then the theme parks.
The boat ride from FQ to DS is good. Yeah Bob at POR is a nice kid friendly show.

You will have a great time!

My quick tips:

1) don't expect low crowds any day in Jan., it could lead to disappointment if you plan for low & its not. There is no disappointment when expecting high & its low. Two years ago it was PACKED & there was a scramble to find why the crowd predictors were so far off.

2) Plan for layers & laundry. It is easier to flex for changes in weather over the course of one day or from day to day when you can peel or add layers as needed. Also, small items such as hats & gloves or second pair of socks can provide a lot of warmth with very little day pack space. I went in Jan & wore zero of the shorts I packed. I laundered & wore again the hoodies & thin under garment layers. You could have the reverse, but are prepared for either.

ETA: the PP suggesting pool time is never a guarantee in Jan. My last Jan trip saw pools & water parks closed due to low temps.

Last edited:
Bring inexpensive stretchy gloves for everyone, especially the kids. They are easy to pack and go a long way to keep you feeling warmer. Also, if your kids are water babies be prepared to shift your plans based on the availability of acceptable pool weather. We had the rule that it needed to be over 70 and sunny, and only got two times to swim in 9 days.

The MK parade is always a huge hit with my kids. Also budget in some time for the play areas and post ride activity areas because the kids will see them and want to play.

in quick tips:

1) don't expect low crowds any day in Jan., it could lead to disappointment if you plan for low & its not. There is no disappointment when expecting high & its low. Two years ago it was PACKED & there was a scramble to find why the crowd predictors were so far off.

2) Plan for layers & laundry. It is easier to flex for changes in weather over the course of one day or from day to day when you can peel or add layers as needed. Also, small items such as hats & gloves can provide a lot of warmth with very little day pack space. I went in Jan & wore zero of the shorts I packed. I laundered & wore again the hoodies & thin under garment layers. You could have the reverse, but are prepared for either.

ETA: the PP suggesting pool time is never a guarantee in Jan. My last Jan trip saw pools & water parks closed due to low temps.
Thank you. Would the hot tubs be open? Hubby and I were hoping to take it in turns to have a little relax! Thanks

Thank you. Would the hot tubs be open? Hubby and I were hoping to take it in turns to have a little relax! Thanks

To my knowledge they closed all water features & no guard staff was around, strictly closed.

I think the bathing load would get too high if they left just the hot tubs open :rotfl2: but someone else may have better I do than me.

We went the first week of Jan this year and it was really great. I’d only pack one or two pair of shorts (ho early I didn’t wear any shorts out entire trip, there was only one day during mid day that it was hot enough for them). You should also pack a few long sleeved shirts and some sort of jacket/hoodie. There was one day that it was pretty cold and I wished I brought my coat.
You can use snack credits for a create your own treat at good ya candy co in Disney springs. That is really cool because it’s kind of like an expirience for the kids. The get to choose either a rice crispy treat, cookie or I think 3 marshmallows, then a chocolate dip (dark, milk or white) and a drizzle as well as one topping such as sprinkles, crushed Oreos things like that. Then the kids get to watch them make their special treats in front of them. I also love to use a couple of credits on white chocolate covered strawberries even though they aren’t a great use of credits (I feel they are based on taste alone and the strawberries are large). Wolfgang puck express is a quick serve credit and you legit feel like it’s a table serve meal. You order and then sit down and someone brings tour meal to you and they come around periodically to ask if you need anything, you could even order a creme brûlée with them and that’s a snack credit. I also love to swing by earl of sandwhich at least once, that’s also a quick serve credit which includes an entree, drink, side and I think some kind of dessert.

We swing by the gallery in Disney springs at some point and order or buy original Disney sketches done by a Disney artist. They cost $50 for one character and go up depending on characters included but they make great Christmas presents and people are in awe that they have a Disney sketch. And the disney ornaments with personalization is also a great souvenir/present.

hollywood studios will be a great Park forall your kids, especially toy story land. If you rope drop you can get back there and then ride toy story mania a few times while the lines build for slinky dog and the character meets. (Try to grab a slinky dog fast pass or an alians fast pass) the green army men do “shows”I think every half hour and it’s great watching them stomp through the area. The lines for the character meets get really long really fast but they are in the open soif you don’t want to wait in linesyour kids can still see them (just not meet them).

my kids loved getting dressed as a prince and princess at the boppity boppity boutique in Disney springs. But its pricy.For a special expirience you can make a reservation at the barbershop in Magic Kingdom. I got my daughters first haircut there for $25 and it was betond worth the price.they called a photopass photographer, she got stickers and “wishes” in her hair and they did her hair in pig tales. They also have her a first curl with wishes in a pouch, a certificate and little first haircut ears. But the absolute best was Mary Poppins came andtalked to my daughter only it was so amazing I was on the verge of tears.

for princess meets in magic kingdom you can prioritize a fastpass for one of them or you can swing by princess hall during the 3:00 parade. The wait is 5-10 mins but after the parade is done the wait gets long pretty quick. Have your little girls and guys wear princess and prince outfits and they get so excited.

we lucked out and got to meet Elsa and Anna in Epcot alone, it was like a private meet with them. The wait was something like posted 10 mins and we walked right in, no one else was waiting to meet themso that was memorable and awesome.

I went in Jan 2017 for a conference and it was nice weather one day the rest was very cold. 45-32 degree cold.

I am from Iowa and used to cold weather. I was not used to Florida cold, it's like it's wet cold. It was hard to find the right combo for clothes for some nights.

I packed layers, hats and gloves, handwarmers, boots. I did up using about every typo of combo that I packed. You just never know :)

Hi all,
Its our first trip with the kids in January and hoping for low crowds (aside from MLK weekend). Staying at FQ for 14 nights with the QSDP and so so excited!

14 days!! That will be a wonderful visit! With 14 days you will have plenty of time to visit the parks and have time to relax a bit.

January is a nice time to visit WDW, especially if you are escaping winter weather. DW and I are snowbirds and enjoy our winters in sunny central Florida. That said I will second the previous comments that it can get chilly in January. Be prepared for breezy days where morning temps can dip into the 30's. Windblock hoodies, light gloves and hats can make a big difference while standing in line on a bright, breezy, post cold front morning. Search your favorite weather site for the historical high/low temperatures and be prepared for both extremes, sometimes within days of each other.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter