Japan in the wake of Corona Virus?

Mechelle Walker

SkysDLimit32k
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone else is taking pause in the wake of Corona Virus for a Japan Disney trip? I am planning a trip from the states to Japan in the coming weeks and I am currently sitting the fence on whether or not to confirm.
I realize that the major outbreak is in China...however this outbreak is giving me cause for concern.
Anyone else in the same boat?

I was originally planning to visit at the end of February but it looks like I'm leaving Asia for the time being. If you do go, make sure to bring masks and hand sanitizer. When I was in Japan last week, hand sanitizers were sold out in most places and people were fighting to buy masks.

The airport and Disneyland are higher risk areas. I'd feel more comfortable visiting Japan if they completely barred mainland Chinese visitors but I don't think they'd take such a drastic step unless things get really bad. A good thing is that the US is slower to implement mandatory quarantines so that's a lower risk of being severely inconvenienced if you do travel to Japan. I don't know if it's likely they'll close the park but according to reports, all face characters no longer greet.

If you've already pre-paid things that you can't get your money back from, it's probably still OK to go but if any country starts banning or quarantining visitors from Japan, I'd cancel.

fyi, from twitter:

@[B]ShowcaseWishes[/B] 11h11 hours ago

In Japan there's a new confirmed case in Chiba Prefecture (Where Tokyo Disney is located). She is a resident of Wuhan who previously was diagnosed with pneumonia, a first test was negative. However a second test has diagnosed her with Coronavirus is being hospitalized in Chiba.

I was originally planning to visit at the end of February but it looks like I'm leaving Asia for the time being. If you do go, make sure to bring masks and hand sanitizer. When I was in Japan last week, hand sanitizers were sold out in most places and people were fighting to buy masks.

The airport and Disneyland are higher risk areas. I'd feel more comfortable visiting Japan if they completely barred mainland Chinese visitors but I don't think they'd take such a drastic step unless things get really bad. A good thing is that the US is slower to implement mandatory quarantines so that's a lower risk of being severely inconvenienced if you do travel to Japan. I don't know if it's likely they'll close the park but according to reports, all face characters no longer greet.

If you've already pre-paid things that you can't get your money back from, it's probably still OK to go but if any country starts banning or quarantining visitors from Japan, I'd cancel.
Thank you for your response! I appreciate the info. It will definitely help me to make a decision. I'm less concerned for myself and my husband more so for our kiddos. Thanks again!

fyi, from twitter:

@[B]ShowcaseWishes[/B] 11h11 hours ago

In Japan there's a new confirmed case in Chiba Prefecture (Where Tokyo Disney is located). She is a resident of Wuhan who previously was diagnosed with pneumonia, a first test was negative. However a second test has diagnosed her with Coronavirus is being hospitalized in Chiba.

Eeeks!! Noted. I'm trying to decipher media hype vs actual health crisis. But this hits close to home. Will monitor situation...but I appreciate your reponse! Thank you!

Right, I'm not trying to scare anyone, just putting the report out there for people to make up their own minds :)

I'm going to be in Tokyo just overnight in 2 weeks, then going to the Philippines for several days, I'm not too worried though.

The risk of getting the virus is not high but be cautious at the airport. Japan is taking some precautions like having service workers wear masks, disinfecting more than usual, etc but isn't really in a crisis situation yet. I would still feel comfortable going although I would wear a mask at the airport and wash my hands more than usual.

ANA, JAL, Jetstar and some Chinese airlines have cancelled China <> Japan flights which is good. Pay attention to news about the cruise ship that is in Yokohama because its quarantine ends on the 19th. So far 61 people on that ship have tested positive for the virus and are being treated near Tokyo. Since not everybody on that ship got tested, it's possible that people leaving the ship to fly out may spread the virus. Japan seems to have the situation under control right now so I would pay attention but not be overly worried yet.

The risk of getting the virus is not high but be cautious at the airport. Japan is taking some precautions like having service workers wear masks, disinfecting more than usual, etc but isn't really in a crisis situation yet. I would still feel comfortable going although I would wear a mask at the airport and wash my hands more than usual.

ANA, JAL, Jetstar and some Chinese airlines have cancelled China <> Japan flights which is good. Pay attention to news about the cruise ship that is in Yokohama because its quarantine ends on the 19th. So far 61 people on that ship have tested positive for the virus and are being treated near Tokyo. Since not everybody on that ship got tested, it's possible that people leaving the ship to fly out may spread the virus. Japan seems to have the situation under control right now so I would pay attention but not be overly worried yet.
You made a very valid comment, the people leaving the ship that were not tested could spread the virus. The cynic in me says do you really think people after being quarantined on a ship for 14 days will admit symptoms? They are going to run off of that ship after feeling imprisoned for 2 weeks. As new cases are confirmed are they lengthening the quarantine time? I think not? I don't feel they know enough about the virus to make these decisions. The initial quarantine time was 3 days if you remember back over a month ago. The alternative is you can't keep people on a ship until symptoms resolve for everyone. There will be some spreading of the virus from those cruisers and others who want to be out and about. They are dispensing thermometers for travelers to take their own temperature every day. I don't think people after being cooped up and wanting to go home would report accurately.
The temperature taking/fever detection leaves a lot to be desired at ports and airports. Basically, ineffectual and inaccurate.
Thanks for your logical comments and statements gelatoni fan! It gives one pause.......

Since not everybody on that ship got tested, it's possible that people leaving the ship to fly out may spread the virus. Japan seems to have the situation under control right now so I would pay attention but not be overly worried yet.
:oops: I had been assuming everyone on the ship was tested! They have no plans to test everyone?

We aren't going until June, so I'm hoping this clears up a bit before then, but I'm also trying to pay attention to the news. Our flight was already re-scheduled from April to June due to unrelated factors, so we probably can't reschedule for any later without losing our ticket values. Plus it's hard to work around the high schooler's schedule anyhow. So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this settles down. Airfare is paid already, hotels are booked but refundable still, but it'll soon be time to get tickets for certain other activities we have planned in Japan.

:oops: I had been assuming everyone on the ship was tested! They have no plans to test everyone?

We aren't going until June, so I'm hoping this clears up a bit before then, but I'm also trying to pay attention to the news. Our flight was already re-scheduled from April to June due to unrelated factors, so we probably can't reschedule for any later without losing our ticket values. Plus it's hard to work around the high schooler's schedule anyhow. So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this settles down. Airfare is paid already, hotels are booked but refundable still, but it'll soon be time to get tickets for certain other activities we have planned in Japan.
These viruses tend to die off when it gets warmer. June should be okay.

Just read that they may have found the animal responsible for carrying this disease and transmitting to humans. It is gross...………...……..Look up Pangolin. Have been reading about the wild animal markets. This is all new to me as I have never travelled to Asia.

Just read that they may have found the animal responsible for carrying this disease and transmitting to humans. It is gross...………...……..Look up Pangolin. Have been reading about the wild animal markets. This is all new to me as I have never travelled to Asia.
I think pangolins are cool lol. Maybe not so much anymore...

Thanks for your response. We will arrive the middle of February.
Gee, that is a tough call. I've been watching the Johns Hopkins Dashboard for a week or so. I trust Japan's and Taiwan's stats more than China's. Neither have been doubling daily. And both countries are seriously irritated with China right now, so I'm pretty sure they want the info out there. But, there can also be a lag in data being reported, so the picture can be not up-to-the-minute. If all are in excellent health and you aren't planning to grind yourselves into exhaustion by a very ambitious travel schedule, I wouldn't think you are crazy to go. But I also wouldn't think you are crazy to postpone, esp. with children. Good luck in your decision. And hugs. What a bummer to be in this situation.

I returned from Japan last week. Most places had facemasks although I have heard there may be issues now. The pharmacies often did not have facemasks but regular stores selling gifts and knickknacks did have them. I would have concerns over the passengers being released from the cruiseship as the virus does not always seem to show up right away in tests and it appears that passengers are continuing to get sick on the ship. Places like Kyoto and Nara are relatively empty due to group tours from China not currently being allowed. If you are traveling when the temperatures will be over 86, reports are saying this should diminish the virus. Much like the flu this virus dislikes warmer weather. Perhaps purchase travel insurance just in case.

Last edited:
I returned from Japan last week. Most places had facemasks although I have heard there may be issues now. The pharmacies often did not have facemasks but regular stores selling gifts and knickknacks did have them. I would have concerns over the passengers being released from the cruiseship as the virus does not always seem to show up right away in tests and it appears that passengers are continuing to get sick on the ship. Places like Kyoto and Nara are relatively empty due to group tours from China not currently being allowed. If you are traveling when the temperatures will be over 86, reports are saying this should diminish the virus. Much like the flu this virus dislikes warmer weather. Perhaps purchase travel insurance just in case.
Travel insurance isn't going to cover coronavirus anymore if purchased now.

Unfortunately it seems like I might have to cancel my early April trip the rate things are going. It will be fun trying to get my nonrefundable Hilton hotel room refunded I'm sure. If things improve, I will go, but I too am concerned about how Japan is handling things with the Diamond Princess and in general.

Travel insurance isn't going to cover coronavirus anymore if purchased now.

Unfortunately it seems like I might have to cancel my early April trip the rate things are going. It will be fun trying to get my nonrefundable Hilton hotel room refunded I'm sure. If things improve, I will go, but I too am concerned about how Japan is handling things with the Diamond Princess and in general.

I'm almost at that point too. All I have booked so far is airfare, which I would be fine with getting a voucher for future travel if not a refund. We are going in late May and the recent things coming to light about how the Japanese government is handling this cruise ship situation are making me really uneasy.

My biggest worry is that I will be leaving my kids here with their grandmother and meeting my husband in Japan (he is already over there working). I CAN NOT afford to be in a situation where I am placed into quarantine for 2 weeks and not allowed to return home. My kids are autistic and I don't feel comfortable leaving them any longer than the 1 week I will be gone. If I or my husband is somehow exposed and I can't return home as scheduled, it would be bad. Our primary objective is to visit Tokyo Disneyland. I had previously said I wouldn't cancel unless TDL shuts down, but I'm starting to feel differently.

I'm almost at that point too. All I have booked so far is airfare, which I would be fine with getting a voucher for future travel if not a refund. We are going in late May and the recent things coming to light about how the Japanese government is handling this cruise ship situation are making me really uneasy.

My biggest worry is that I will be leaving my kids here with their grandmother and meeting my husband in Japan (he is already over there working). I CAN NOT afford to be in a situation where I am placed into quarantine for 2 weeks and not allowed to return home. My kids are autistic and I don't feel comfortable leaving them any longer than the 1 week I will be gone. If I or my husband is somehow exposed and I can't return home as scheduled, it would be bad. Our primary objective is to visit Tokyo Disneyland. I had previously said I wouldn't cancel unless TDL shuts down, but I'm starting to feel differently.
Yeah I'm only going to TDR myself. I've been to Japan twice before. This would be my first time going alone. First time was with a tour group led by a Japanese-American who spoke Japanese, second time was with my half-Japanese husband who is fluent in Japanese. I don't want to risk going to Japan, possibly getting sick and going to the hospital by myself when I know only very rudimentary Japanese. My husband has a couple friends and relatives in Japan who are bilingual, but it's not something we want to count on in an emergency situation (I only met his cousin once and never even met his friend). It's a lot different than if the virus were to come here to the US, where I know the language and I'm in a familiar place.

I will go if the number of new cases go down significantly, but it seems to be trending upwards and I don't think the government or Japanese public are taking it seriously enough. Japan now has the most cases of any country other than China, tied with Singapore. Singapore was #2 for a while but Japan caught up today. This doesn't include the Diamond Princess. HK has fewer cases than Japan and yet HKDL is still closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts