Japan Meets Thread

We are also on the April 14-24,with 2 days pre-trip in Kyoto though that may change to one, and the 3 day 2 night TDR extension post-trip. Looking forward to this trip!

@sayhello thanks for starting a common trip planning thread. I think it will be helpful to many of us.

We are booked on the April 14-24, 2019, inaugural Adult Exclusive departure! We want to do the 3 day/2 night extension and have been told that is "on request," and we should get a confirmation for that within 24 hours to six months (that's quite a window!

That is an interesting response, I wonder if they fully booked their initial allotment. We are confirmed & it is on my reservation confirmation email. Good luck. I hope it comes thru for you , unless you decide to book something on your own own.

That is an interesting response, I wonder if they fully booked their initial allotment. We are confirmed & it is on my reservation confirmation email. Good luck. I hope it comes thru for you , unless you decide to book something on your own own.
I did read somewhere that they "ran out" of the add-ons for some dates. I guess it depends on if they can negotiate more of them with Tokyo Disneyland.

Sayhello

Thanks, everyone. Well, good news! When we received our confirmation with the final booking details, we were confirmed for the Tokyo Disney Resort extension! It seems that they just need 24 hours to book the rooms with Tokyo. All is well. If you've not read over your Adventure Travel Agreement, this one is a hoot. They always list the worst case scenarios for every activity you'll be doing. Like in China, it said you might fall off the Great Wall. This one talks about pulled muscles during Sumo wrestling, getting hit with a drumstick, and cutting off your fingers in cooking class.

Thanks, everyone. Well, good news! When we received our confirmation with the final booking details, we were confirmed for the Tokyo Disney Resort extension! It seems that they just need 24 hours to book the rooms with Tokyo. All is well. If you've not read over your Adventure Travel Agreement, this one is a hoot. They always list the worst case scenarios for every activity you'll be doing. Like in China, it said you might fall off the Great Wall. This one talks about pulled muscles during Sumo wrestling, getting hit with a drumstick, and cutting off your fingers in cooking class.
Hey, someone (*ahem*) actually fell *ON* the Great Wall! Fortunately did not fall *off*! :) I read the Japan ATA yesterday, too, and was chortling at some of the things they listed as possible risks!

Sayhello

Great news that you were confirmed for TDR so quickly !!

It looks like booking on our own will save quite a bit over the post day package for our family of 5 (several thousand $). So, when does booking open up for TDR? It sounds like you have to be ready to book right when it opens, at least for Miracosta. Any experience with that? And how many days is everyone considering for the parks?

It looks like booking on our own will save quite a bit over the post day package for our family of 5 (several thousand $). So, when does booking open up for TDR? It sounds like you have to be ready to book right when it opens, at least for Miracosta. Any experience with that? And how many days is everyone considering for the parks?

I've read six months in advance. We decided to just bite the bullet and book through ABD. That way, we don't have to worry about the "what if's" of not getting a room. You also get almost twice as many FastPasses with the ABD plan and transportation to the Resort and airport. I figure I'll probably only go to Japan once, and I want to be sure I get to experience everything that Resort has to offer!

First of all thank you for sharing that blog site. I feel like I have been up to my ears in plans now... both for Disneyland and Japan itself. I can not WAIT to meet my fellow groupies *September 29th represent* So here's a few things I'm pondering. I believe at least on my dates the Mira Costa won't be as bad since the ABD ends on a Weds... so the plan is... get 2 nights Weds/Thurs... then add 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel (going to probably go for a Beauty and the Beast Room) or... do theme park view (that's up in the air) But here's my real question. When are we going to have enough free time to visit the Ghibili museum as I have read you have to get tickets about 3 months to the date? The tickets give you 2 hours in the museum. And depending how far our hotel is from it... I'm guessing we would need a good 4 hours to be safe. Also I saw this thing on Trip Advisor that may peak some interest. It's some Robot Performance Dinner show. Looks wacky as heck and I love that. IMO the extra fast passes from the ABD Add-On not worth the cost. Because we'll have 2 weekdays post trip and those aren't as crowed according to everyone as weekends. And I really need to write a trip report for the City of Knights and Lights trip my Husband and I took in 2017. I'm just so lazy. I read all these great reports here and get pumped to do itineraries I would never personally consider. So I'd love to be the reason someone does the England/France Trip because it is truly amazing.

But here's my real question. When are we going to have enough free time to visit the Ghibili museum as I have read you have to get tickets about 3 months to the date? The tickets give you 2 hours in the museum. And depending how far our hotel is from it... I'm guessing we would need a good 4 hours to be safe.

I'm not sure about the timing on the trip, but I wanted to say that they don't kick you out or anything after 2 hours. You get an entry time and then can stay as long as you like - we did first thing and it did get quite crowded as more and more entries were let in. We had done everything we could there after about 3 or 4 hours at most including lunch at the cafe and a long time in the gift shop.

First of all thank you for sharing that blog site. I feel like I have been up to my ears in plans now... both for Disneyland and Japan itself. I can not WAIT to meet my fellow groupies *September 29th represent* So here's a few things I'm pondering. I believe at least on my dates the Mira Costa won't be as bad since the ABD ends on a Weds... so the plan is... get 2 nights Weds/Thurs... then add 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel (going to probably go for a Beauty and the Beast Room) or... do theme park view (that's up in the air) But here's my real question. When are we going to have enough free time to visit the Ghibili museum as I have read you have to get tickets about 3 months to the date? The tickets give you 2 hours in the museum. And depending how far our hotel is from it... I'm guessing we would need a good 4 hours to be safe. Also I saw this thing on Trip Advisor that may peak some interest. It's some Robot Performance Dinner show. Looks wacky as heck and I love that. IMO the extra fast passes from the ABD Add-On not worth the cost. Because we'll have 2 weekdays post trip and those aren't as crowed according to everyone as weekends. And I really need to write a trip report for the City of Knights and Lights trip my Husband and I took in 2017. I'm just so lazy. I read all these great reports here and get pumped to do itineraries I would never personally consider. So I'd love to be the reason someone does the England/France Trip because it is truly amazing.

Fellow Sept 29 groupie here! Representing! :wave2: I tend to write the trip reports day by day while I am on the trip. If I waited until I got home I’d never get around to it.

I totally want to do that Robot dinner show. I love wacky and out of the ordinary things. If my travel hacking plans for the flights fall into place then I intend to have several wacky and out of the ordinary experiences pre trip.

Fellow Sept 29 groupie here! Representing! :wave2: I tend to write the trip reports day by day while I am on the trip. If I waited until I got home I’d never get around to it.

I totally want to do that Robot dinner show. I love wacky and out of the ordinary things. If my travel hacking plans for the flights fall into place then I intend to have several wacky and out of the ordinary experiences pre trip.

I'll let you know how the Robot show is. We are going next month. Also doing the Tuna Auction at Tsujiki (3 am wake up for that one, ouch).

I'll let you know how the Robot show is. We are going next month. Also doing the Tuna Auction at Tsujiki (3 am wake up for that one, ouch).
RSM - do I remember correctly you are going with Thomson? Or is that another regular? If you, will you pleeeeease update us when you get back on the Other Options thread?

We are going with Thomson. But we are adding on 2 days in the front end to go to Kawaguchiko (Mt. Fuji area-hope to do the sunrise climb weather permitting), adding 3 days onto the back-end. The Thomson tour ends in Kyoto, but we will take the bullet train back to Tokyo for a few more days of touring the city on our own. The Thomson tour only has a couple of days in Tokyo, and one of those is the arrival day. There was a lot we wanted to do in Tokyo that I'm not sure would be covered on the Thomson tour.

I will post about our experience when we get back.

We are going with Thomson. But we are adding on 2 days in the front end to go to Kawaguchiko (Mt. Fuji area-hope to do the sunrise climb weather permitting), adding 3 days onto the back-end. The Thomson tour ends in Kyoto, but we will take the bullet train back to Tokyo for a few more days of touring the city on our own. The Thomson tour only has a couple of days in Tokyo, and one of those is the arrival day. There was a lot we wanted to do in Tokyo that I'm not sure would be covered on the Thomson tour.

I will post about our experience when we get back.

Please do! Especially if you get to hike - we were completely snowed out last year and couldn't even get to the 5th station.

Thank you for sharing! There is a lot of fantastic information on that site. We're looking forward to meeting you in Japan in just 11 short months!
Looking forward to meeting you as well! 11 months - yikes, that will pass so quickly.

I was almost late for work this morning as I started browsing the Disney Tourist Blog website! So much info there, including links I found to another site he maintains with things line Top 10 things to do in Tokyo for our free afternoons, and Top 10 things in Kyoto which could be helpful for those with a day or two early arrival.

You might want it confirm the fish market. From the blog guy, Tom B, other website with general Japan info he has this note about the Tokyo fish market, item #5 - UPDATE - never mind for you, RSM, but we 2019 travelers will need to take note...

http://www.travelcaffeine.com/best-things-tokyo-japan/

Doing a fresh sushi breakfast followed by perusing those markets is one of the cooler experiences you can have in Tokyo. (Note: In October 2018, Tsukiji Fish Market will “move,” and reopen as the Toyosu Fish Market. It’s unclear whether the live tuna auction and ability to explore the active work area unimpeded will be retained with the new incarnation of Tokyo’s famous fish market.)

The Robot restaurant is #2 & Ghibli Museum is #4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!