Japan Meets Thread

I'm guessing you will have Ken, the other American ABD Guide. He was our shadow guide and I know he was starting right after James. I actually thought he was fantastic. I'd love to have him on another ABD. He's done Wyoming and Peru and some others for a while now. Lived in Osaka. Speaks Japanese (maybe not fluently like James, but I'm not positive). Has a strong love of travel. He seems to like adventuring off the beaten path maybe more than the average ABD guide. Likes hiking. He was extremely good with young children. My 6yo daughter thought he was hilarious as did all the kids and the teens. He was a cool guy. I wouldn't be concerned at all. Between James, Dusty (who I only know of his reputation and "toner time"), and Ken, ABD seems to have their top guns running Japan.
Ken sounds great! :)

Awesome, thanks! Great to know. There definitely never seems to be a shortage of awesome ABD guides, that's for sure. In all our trips, I think we've only had one that we were a bit meh about. He was fine, just not super amazing like the rest, LOL
And don't forget, you will have Tomomi! Tomomi is wonderful! I think you'll be in excellent hands!

The only Guides I ever had that weren't super were on my Alaska ABD. Neither were originally Disney employees. The local Guide, Jesse, seemed a bit intimidated by Rae, who thought she was just da bomb as far as Guides went, and she obviously did not respect Jesse. It was kind of sad. I still loved the trip, but the Adventure Guide part just wasn't really there. Maybe that's why I keep leaning towards a re-do on the Alaska ABD! :)

Otherwise, my Guides have ranged from fabulous to AMAZING!

Sayhello

Yes, I was so so bummed that he won't be on ours. Sounds like we won't get James either :( Oh well, I will expand the adventure guide pool. I hope everything is okay, too!

I agree with @Cousin Orville and @*WDW*Groupie*

We’ve had Ken on our Winter in Wyoming trip and he is awesome! The only way to make it even better would be to pair him with Mark Chris. Kind of like pairing Dusty with James or Hanneke and Zoe. Any of them are great on their own but together it’s a plus factor.

I’m excited that our guide might be Ken or James or maybe even Dusty if he comes back later in the season.

Tomomi is not on the same departures as James. They did the first 2 together, then are doing the last one together. They are alternating the rest. My understanding is, whatever is going on, it's James that Dusty is subbing for, but that James is OK.

Sayhello
Okay great that’s what I’d thought too

Friends of ours are on the trip now, with Tomomi and Ken. They were told Ken would be on the remaining trips (other than the two with Dusty). Still no word why James has departed--he and Tomomi were a great pair on the inaugural trip, and was was very happy to be showing off Japan!

First I, too hope everything is OK with James. I do not know him or have I been on any trips with him, but it's both sad and scary to hear of a sudden departure.

With that being said. I'm going to be glass filled and spilling over the brim here. Fellow Japan Adventurers no matter what guides we get... we are going to be in JAPAN. And nothing or nobody can take away from the privilege of paving your personal trip into a magical experience. As the wise Forest Gump once said '**** Happens'. It's what each person takes and makes of your journey.

I was very sad to hear that the Tori Gates are going to be all covered up for repair... and then I realized it's just an excuse to go back someday.

I am looking forward to Adult group in September. And I trust that whoever guides us will give us the BEST darned experience they can.

First I, too hope everything is OK with James. I do not know him or have I been on any trips with him, but it's both sad and scary to hear of a sudden departure.

With that being said. I'm going to be glass filled and spilling over the brim here. Fellow Japan Adventurers no matter what guides we get... we are going to be in JAPAN. And nothing or nobody can take away from the privilege of paving your personal trip into a magical experience. As the wise Forest Gump once said '**** Happens'. It's what each person takes and makes of your journey.

I was very sad to hear that the Tori Gates are going to be all covered up for repair... and then I realized it's just an excuse to go back someday.

I am looking forward to Adult group in September. And I trust that whoever guides us will give us the BEST darned experience they can.
It's a MAGNIFICENT trip, and I totally agree: no matter who your Guides are (but they've tapped some amazing ones for this trip, it seems!) you will be in for a fabulous experience and a amazing journey!!

Sayhello

I thought Japan would be a bucket list item and then done but I definitely want to go back one day!

I'm so excited to read all the positive reports on the trip so far. Any recommendations for OYO time experiences during the trip for Kyoto and Tokyo?

We are coming in to Tokyo a couple days before and have tickets to Team Lab and a reservation at an Owl cafe. I'm planning to book the Robot Restaurant as well. Thank in advance!

I'm so excited to read all the positive reports on the trip so far. Any recommendations for OYO time experiences during the trip for Kyoto and Tokyo?

We are coming in to Tokyo a couple days before and have tickets to Team Lab and a reservation at an Owl cafe. I'm planning to book the Robot Restaurant as well. Thank in advance!

3D Latte Cafe in Harajuku - Reissue.
We went to Nanzen-ji and Ginkaku-ji Temples on one morning and Kinninji Temple on another day. All fabulous. Ginkaku-ji was my favorite. Honestly, I preferred all 3 to the Kiyomizudera Temple that ABD takes you on. Due to the crowds at Kiyomizudera, you lose a litter bit of the Zen atmosphere.

For fancy dinners, we did Premium Pound Gion for Kobe for lunch and Kikunoi kaiseki for dinner. Kikunoi is not for everyone, but was an incredible, very unique experience.
We also did the omakase at the Peninsula - excellent sushi.
We also shopped over at Akihabara and at the Mitsukoshi near the Peninsula.

I did the teamlab Borderless museum (there are 2 of them in Tokyo, the other one is called teamlab Planets). Really great! And I also checked out the Mitsukoshi department store near the Peninsula. Didn't find much I wanted to buy, but I managed to have my makeup done at the Clinique counter, and bought a new eye shadow! One of my favorite OYO activities was on the last day, soaking in the amazing tub in my room at the Tokyo Peninsula! The bath salts they had in there were AMAZING. I unfortunately forgot to ask if they sell them. SO helped with my stiff neck! :)

Sayhello

We are in the middle of the trip right now and loving it so far. Ken and Tomomi are awesome!! We didn't have much time on our pre-days in Tokyo, but I would HIGHLY recommend Jiro Ginza if your concierge can get you in. I posted about it on budget board, so you might have seen that. I'm doing a write up on our trip right now, but I haven't had the time to put anything up yet. We are very busy! Back to Tokyo ... we stayed at the Tokyo Station Hotel, which like the Peninsula is very clear to the Imperial palace. We enjoyed walking over there and seeing the ruins of the old castle as well. We didn't have any extra time in Kyoto so can't help there.

We are in the middle of the trip right now and loving it so far. Ken and Tomomi are awesome!! We didn't have much time on our pre-days in Tokyo, but I would HIGHLY recommend Jiro Ginza if your concierge can get you in. I posted about it on budget board, so you might have seen that. I'm doing a write up on our trip right now, but I haven't had the time to put anything up yet. We are very busy! Back to Tokyo ... we stayed at the Tokyo Station Hotel, which like the Peninsula is very clear to the Imperial palace. We enjoyed walking over there and seeing the ruins of the old castle as well. We didn't have any extra time in Kyoto so can't help there.

Awesome, thank you! Please tell Ken that Terrie & Wally say Hi and send him big hugs.

Hey Cali can you ask Ken if he is doing the Adult's Only Sep 29th? From what I've been reading he totally took over right? Dusty did a week or two, but he's finishing out the season. Just curious (also if so does he take Pay Pal?) Someone said Tomomi does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!