Japan Pre-nights? Kyoto or Tokyo

Theta

DIS Veteran
I would love to hear suggestions for a 2 prenights before Japan AbD.

Since we will already have 4 nights in Kyoto, would it be better to spend a few days in Toyko beforehand or is there enough to do in Kyoto for 2 nights before the adventure starts. I also noticed not much happens on Day 1, just introductions. Is that correct?

I would love to hear suggestions for a 2 prenights before Japan AbD.

Since we will already have 4 nights in Kyoto, would it be better to spend a few days in Toyko beforehand or is there enough to do in Kyoto for 2 nights before the adventure starts. I also noticed not much happens on Day 1, just introductions. Is that correct?

I recommend Kyoto. There's 2 things IMO ABD does not do as well (or have time for) in Kyoto, which would make pre-days worth it. First the visit to a Zen temple without heavy crowds. You do visit Kiyomizudera, but the crowds are overwhelming IMO. While it's interesting to see, it lacks what other temples excel at. That is a unique Japanese "Zen" feeling - quiet, peaceful, minimalistic, beautifully sculpted gardens, and an opportunity to take time and reflect.

The second is seeing Higashiyama and/or Gion before the afternoon crowds take over. If you check out any photos of Kyoto, you see quiet empty, old, traditional streets. They're gorgeous. ABD's only visit to Higashiyama is mid afternoon along with Kiyomizudera. Again, the crowds are so heavy, it loses just all it's charm. You do get to visit Fushimi Anari Shrine before the heavy crowds thank goodness. It's amazing with its tori gates, but it's a very different experience than most other temples and shrine around Kyoto in my experience.

Tokyo could use more time too, but you have a lot more free time even within the ABD.

I kind of rationalized it this way. I knew we'd be back to Tokyo at some point with Tokyo DL. So, I'm sure I'll see more of Tokyo later. But, I'm not sure when I'll be back to Kyoto. So, I wanted to experience Kyoto as much as I could.

Now it's time for someone who spent their pre days in Tokyo to give a compelling reason for Tokyo! Honestly, I don't think there's a wrong answer to this question. Any pre-days anywhere in Japan is worth it!

You could go either way. Kyoto is great, but the trip doesn't really do enough in Tokyo. However, you have a lot of OYO time in Tokyo. I know a few people who did pre-days in Tokyo, then headed to Kyoto for the ABD. It really seemed to work for them. I really enjoyed my pre-day in Kyoto.

And yes, the first Day is just meeting the Guides and anyone else you might run into at their desk. The trip doesn't really start until Day 2.

Sayhello

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but we loved our two days in Tokyo. We did it to avoid a connecting flight after the long flight, but it ended up being a godsend as we weren't able to get our Jiro reservations when we were in Tokyo with ABD. I think it depends on the flights. If you can get direct to Kyoto/Osaka, it might make sense, but if you are going through Tokyo I'd consider just staying there for a couple days. It's an amazing city, and just walking around was awesome.

I did not do ABD but did go to Japan for 2.5 weeks last year. Looking at the itinerary, I would do Osaka :) it’s a great city to explore and lots of great food there!

My inclination would be Kyoto - or Osaka is a great idea! We almost did Osaka this year to see Universal Studios - thank goodness we didn't cause the G20 was there that weekend.
Having been to Kyoto and Tokyo twice now, I find Kyoto an 'easier' city to find things to see and generally get around- and when we are jetlagged, that is what we look for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!