jet blue new checked bag fees

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Looks like Jet Blue is now charging for checked bags-from what I'm reading, it's $30 a bag. Was wondering if anyone has booked through them with this new policy? Do you pay for the luggage when you book?
Remember the old days when everything was included, lol!!!

I just booked the fare with 1 bag included. I think it was very slightly less expensive than booking the lowest "no bag" fare and then checking a bag later.

ETA: It looks like they may have changed this since I last flew Jetblue (which was only a couple months ago). Now it looks like none of them include any checked bags?

I just flew Jetblue in early November and I bought the ticket that had one checked bag with it. It was about $3 cheaper than buying the no-bag fare and buying a bag at the airport. This isn't new. But isn't JetBlue now offering a lower tier fare than they were recently?

I just flew Jetblue in early November and I bought the ticket that had one checked bag with it. It was about $3 cheaper than buying the no-bag fare and buying a bag at the airport. This isn't new. But isn't JetBlue now offering a lower tier fare than they were recently?

Yes. It doesn't allow you to pick your own seat. JetBlue claims it's to give those that don't care where they sit a lower fare.

I now see this when I look at fare details. I swear I booked the middle rate when I flew in September and it included a checked bag, now none of them do. I don't know when that changed.

Capture.JPG

If you are Blue Plus or a Jetblue Plus cardmember, the first bag is free, 2nd is $40. Mint and Mosaic have both bags free. Blue, Basic Blue and Blue Extra charge $30 for 1st bag and $40 for 2nd.

I now see this when I look at fare details. I swear I booked the middle rate when I flew in September and it included a checked bag, now none of them do. I don't know when that changed.

View attachment 456785

So, in September, the *middle* fare on the screen at that time included one checked bag. I think it was called BluePlus. There was Blue, BluePlus, and BlueExtra (or maybe it had a different name).

The first fare on the left of the screen, back then, had everything the middle fare had with the exception of ONE bag. Now, it has changed. The base fare has gotten more bare bones, with no seat assignment, and the middle fare is now having a fee for the bag (as does the extra).

If you are Blue Plus or a Jetblue Plus cardmember, the first bag is free, 2nd is $40. Mint and Mosaic have both bags free. Blue, Basic Blue and Blue Extra charge $30 for 1st bag and $40 for 2nd.

Also if you book using the JetBlue Plus card the first bag is free for you and up to 3 others booked on the same reservation.

We've flown down to MCO from Stewart, Newburgh NY, the last few summers and haven't paid any checked bag fees (as long as you keep it under a certain weight) So for the 3 of us now, it adds $180 round trip in bag fees? UGH!!

I noticed the other day that they changed the rules for checked bags since I flew in August. (They also totally changed the flight schedule to MCO from here and it’s awful now, but that’s a different story.)

But isn't JetBlue now offering a lower tier fare than they were recently?

Yep. About three weeks ago they started with Blue Basic.

Fare info: https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/our-fares

Blue Plus includes 1 checked bag. Mint includes 2.

We've flown down to MCO from Stewart, Newburgh NY, the last few summers and haven't paid any checked bag fees (as long as you keep it under a certain weight) So for the 3 of us now, it adds $180 round trip in bag fees? UGH!!

This is from 2015: https://money.cnn.com/2015/06/30/pf/jetblue-checked-bag-fee/index.html That's when they started charging for bags. And it went to $30 over a year ago. https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/28/17792664/airlines-checked-baggage-fees-jetblue-air-canada

So you must be booking a fare that includes bags. And there are still two fare classes that include those.

"Your first checked bag is included with our Blue Plus fare, which is available on select routes." It didn't show up as an option for me when I was trying out a dummy itinerary, so it looks like that's not an option for me going to Orlando anymore. Mint didn't show up as an option, either, only the no-bags fares. Oh well, back to always flying Southwest for me, I guess.

Mint didn't show up as an option, either, only the no-bags fares.

Mint is limited and only available on certain routes and most of those are transcons. For the transcons it's SEA, SFO, LAX, San Diego and Vegas to BOS and JFK, and SFO and LAX to FLL. They also fly a few flights from JFK and BOS to the Caribbean. Nothing to/from MCO.

JB_Mint-Map_121518.png

Mint is limited and only available on certain routes and most of those are transcons. For the transcons it's SEA, SFO, LAX, San Diego and Vegas to BOS and JFK, and SFO and LAX to FLL. They also fly a few flights from JFK and BOS to the Caribbean. Nothing to/from MCO.

JB_Mint-Map_121518.png

Definitely doesn't include Hartford, either. 😄

The airlines really got it wrong when they decided to charge for checked baggage. They should have charged for carry-on's. They spend so much time trying to get people to voluntarily check their bag on full flights, end up having to remove bags when they run out of space, and then always have the one guy that tries to carry on a bag that he knows is over the size limit. What they really should do as well to deter that one guy is to also charge him the bag fee and an extra $100 checked at gate fee but I have yet to see them even charge.

But then after all that and they're about ready to take a delay, they need to argue over whether or not the below wing or the above wing crew is going to be charged for the delay. It's so silly...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!