Jet Skis at Epcot

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
Heard the show today and they were questioning why theres jet skis for the next show replacing illuminations.

Yes, there were two daytime lagoon shows back in the late 80's/early 90's with jet skis or small boats that were nearly the same size as jet skis...

Ha! Thanx @ChrisFL ! I posted on the YouTube after I watched the show this afternoon that I remembered that show (not in person, but had seen it before my 1st visit in 93) and I thought the name was Surprise in the Skies. <patting self on back> LOL

Tokyo DisneySea had them too....
1491594535162.jpeg

Thanks for posting ... I was a bit bummed/annoyed how Pete was talking down about the Jet Skis ... especially when he is always telling other people to wait until something opens before saying negative things about it

I was wondering, for a nighttime show, the jet-skis were probably just going to be for carrying the kites, etc. and not part of the show themselves, it seems that might be the case?

This is just a temporary 'fill in' show until the replacement for Illuminations debuts later, right?? Read that somewhere!

yes - the more permanent show is to be more IP based and will start sometime in 2020. They have started construction on some of the elements needed for that show and my understanding is some of that would conflict with how Illuminations works so they needed this temporary show to have something while they finish that construction

This has been how things were planned though so it differed that way vs like the Jungle Book: Alive with Music which was thrown together after they had technical issues getting Rivers of Light to work properly

So I know I posted something a bit critical of Pete’s take on this on the Tuesday show so I think only fair to mention that he did just post on Facebook, after seeing the clip, that he has a more positive outlook on it:

“Ok, so I mocked this a little on Tuesday’s show, but after watching the video - I’m a little excited. I mean, I’m not happy to see Illuminations go, but this looks like it might be good. Thoughts?” - Pete

I remember those 80s shows with the boats and planes. Actually, one of the planes crashed in the parking lot. I think they ended the show soon after that happened.

I think the kites look so cool! I always enjoy live elements in shows. Even if they "perform" the same way each night, it feels unique and more special than just watching the same show as every other night.

Is it remotely possible that this show, if successful, will be ported to another park or is truly a consumable?

Is there a certain feature for this show that only resonates with EPCOT? If you're right, then I do wonder what the budget is for a throw-away show.
They are really only using existing in infrastructure for this show. Pyro is a given and lasers are already there. The only new aspect is the kites.

I have photos from '86 in epcot of airplanes and boats in a show with lots of purple smoke and flags on the boats and some boats were some sort of purple dragon maybe figmentish theme idk. Looks boring but I've got pics of some of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter