Jiko Question

shb5007

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! Going to be down in the Disney area for 1 day before New Years (I realize it will be crazy). Last minute stop through, and wasn't able to find many dinner reservations. Either way, one I did get was Jiko and I am thinking about trying it out. I have never been, and have never really been to a restaurant like this (I am not a picky eater). We have plenty of Mexican, good steakhouses, and good seafood places where I live. Either way, the time of the reservation is late, likely too late for me to eat a good meal...that finally leads to my question (sorry this is a long post).

I have eaten at Signatures before for full meals, but is it "frowned upon" to not order entrees at a Signature? Like if we ordered some bread, cheese, 1-2 more appetizers, and a desert...would that be okay? If so....any tips on small bites to try?

Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone! Going to be down in the Disney area for 1 day before New Years (I realize it will be crazy). Last minute stop through, and wasn't able to find many dinner reservations. Either way, one I did get was Jiko and I am thinking about trying it out. I have never been, and have never really been to a restaurant like this (I am not a picky eater). We have plenty of Mexican, good steakhouses, and good seafood places where I live. Either way, the time of the reservation is late, likely too late for me to eat a good meal...that finally leads to my question (sorry this is a long post).

I have eaten at Signatures before for full meals, but is it "frowned upon" to not order entrees at a Signature? Like if we ordered some bread, cheese, 1-2 more appetizers, and a desert...would that be okay? If so....any tips on small bites to try?

Thanks for the help!
The staff at Jiko isn't going to "frown" at you. If you order the taste of Africa, a couple of appetizers and dessert (the Malva pudding one is wonderful) you will have a plenty to eat. Jiko also has a fabulous wine list. Lots to choose from by the glass. Enjoy your Jiko visit!

The table is yours so feel free to eat and drink what you want. Another option would be to go to the bar area and eat there. We did this on our last trip and while you can only order appetizers it worked out great. Of course the bar area is small and you aren't guaranteed a seat, but it was a great last minute option for us.

We really enjoyed the Elk Flatbread Appetizer, as well as the Pork Tenderloin and Taste of Africa Bread. Good news is Jiko is unequivocally one of the best restaurants on property so you won't be disappointed no matter what you order.

I agree with order what you want, you won't be frowned upon. Having said that, I agree with above poster and probably would just eat at the bar. We actually enjoyed our experience at the bar there much better than our experience at the actual restaurant. Nothing wrong with the restaurant, the food was o.k. and the service was o.k. and we eat at the signature restaurants all the time at Disney but felt for the price either the food or service should have been better than o.k.

We have been to Jiko several times for bevs and apps and prefer to sit in the bar. No ADRs, no stress, and we’ve never even had to wait. The wine list is impressive and features South African wines. We really enjoy the Taste of Africa, Jiko’s version of the bread and dips platter. The bartenders here have all been very personable and entertaining.

I quite often order 3 appetizers at Jiko and share one with DH. He orders an entree and sometimes a separate appetizer. Rarely if, ever, do I eat dessert. I just happen to prefer the appetizers to the entrees. No one seems to have an issue with this.

I have eaten at Jiko without ordering an entree multiple times. The appetizers are creative, tasteful and they change often. Don't hesitate to sit at a regular table.

We went for the first time the day after Thanksgiving.

first - these people are SO right - Jiko is, hands down, my new favorite restaurant on property. it was amazing - from first sip to last bite...spectacular!

That being said, the apps and desserts BLEW me away, and I have said if we go back, I will be doing multiple of both and skipping the main course (which was phenomenal, though...). I would not hesitate to order as you wish. The wait staff was incredible.

GO!! Enjoy! I am jealous :)

I have gone to Jiko at least once a year for the past 10 years and usually I just get an appetizer, side of macaroni and cheese, and a zebratini for dessert.

Fantastic restaurant. As others have said, you’ll be fine ordering whatever you want. Don’t give it a second thought. In addition to the bar/lounge area mentioned above, there is also an option to to sit at “the Cooking Place”, which is essentially a chef’s counter at the appetizer station (subject to availability, of course - no way to reserve that section in advance). You can watch the chefs making flatbreads and salads. They’re happy to chat with you too. The wild boar tenderloin app is amazing (currently says pork on the menu but was boar in late Oct), as is elk flatbread. I didn’t have it but the Jiko salad looked delicious and think some ingredients are grown in Epcot. Some fantastic wines are available too - including some flights. Enjoy!!!

Jiko is one of our favorites. Their food has always been very good and the staff very helpful.
Order what you want. Lots of great options on the menu. If you just want appetizers, order those.
Don't forget the wine list, a really great selection.

Jiko's appetizers are excellent and you will not be frown on just for ordering them.

Monday nite I ordered the wild boar appetizer and a side of Mac and cheese for supper. It was awesome. Got the malva pudding for dessert

Monday nite I ordered the wild boar appetizer and a side of Mac and cheese for supper. It was awesome. Got the malva pudding for dessert

The wild boar app and mac and cheese side is my usual meal at Jiko, it is delicious and goes quite well together.

Thanks for the help!
Disney does not 'frown'.

We enjoy Sanaa for 'better value' than Jiko and the animals during daylight.

[Edited: Sanaa, not Boma].

Last edited:
We ate at Jiko for the first time on Nov 30th and all agree it has been the best meal of our trip so far! My dad has to eat very low sodium due to heart failure and the Chef came out and made him feel completely comfortable about eating at Disney (it was our first meal of the trip). He made him a special salad and cooked his steak without any salt or seasoning. I ordered the salad with goat cheese spread (yum!) and the chicken (double yum!)

The portions aren’t huge. I didn’t have dessert and I was full without being uncomfortably stuffed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter