Johnny Back as Jack Sparrow?

But how long did they have to wait between? And those are also a different type of movie. I really wouldn't say any of the actors that played those roles brought anything unique or captivating. Super Heros are generic for the most part. One hunk of meat with straight teeth and sculpted abs is as good as another. Whereas sometimes an actor comes along that so embodies a role that they carve a place in the psyche of the people for decades. Johnny Depp is Jack Sparrow. Ian Mckellan is Gandalf, Henry Cavill is Geralt of Rivia.
There is no replacing Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. They may be able to stick someone else in the suit to take over the role of Iron Man, but there will never be another actor in the role of Tony Stark. He’s not a hunk of meat with straight teeth.

The replacement of Gandalf makes sense to some extent given as you said, "less controversy" when going back to earlier days. Though Gandalf could look anyway he wants to look, so they could have made Ian McKellan work. I don't think they needed to though. As far as Geralt being replaced with Liam Hemsworth, I don't think this will bode well for the show. Regardless of how they decide to move forward on Pirates, Johnny will have to return as Sparrow at least one last time.
Everyone I know has already said they won't be watching Witcher after Henry's final season so I don't think the recast will bode well for the show either.

Well I don’t know if Johnny has rights to the character but he performed as Jack Sparrow yesterday for a child who is palliative and it was wonderful . You can find it on YouTube . The channel name is Kraken The Box , and the little boy goes by Captain Kori. He wanted to get to 100k subscribers and he’s surpassed that now.
Captain Jack Sparrow called him yesterday and it was magical .

But how long did they have to wait between? And those are also a different type of movie. I really wouldn't say any of the actors that played those roles brought anything unique or captivating. Super Heros are generic for the most part. One hunk of meat with straight teeth and sculpted abs is as good as another. Whereas sometimes an actor comes along that so embodies a role that they carve a place in the psyche of the people for decades. Johnny Depp is Jack Sparrow. Ian Mckellan is Gandalf, Henry Cavill is Geralt of Rivia.
Yes and I think it definitely matters what kind of movie/series/production something is AND what kind of character. Many characters are just a persona and not deeply developed.

With James Bond it was never about the "person" who played it as it was a stiff English suit wearing person that worked in the constructs of the story. It was like different generations view of what they looked like. Most mentioned are just "a look" that is needed because the characters don't have depth.

When you have a character that comes alive inside and out, speaking, voice, makeup, the incredible depth ... it is very difficult to replace and have audience accept them as anything other than an imposter. Very often the character becomes a distraction to the point the movie won't work - good example is Grindelwald. I could not stay engaged with character because it just wasn't working with all the change. I feel they failed their audience. Bring in a new character but don't try to force soup of the day on me.

Disney either tries to make a movie without him (in current movie times that might be a financial loss) OR they do what they need to do to bring him back. He IS the character and the character IS the movies. Will be that way for decades. So make it work or vault it for now.

Last edited:
Well I don’t know if Johnny has rights to the character but he performed as Jack Sparrow yesterday for a child who is palliative and it was wonderful . You can find it on YouTube . The channel name is Kraken The Box , and the little boy goes by Captain Kori. He wanted to get to 100k subscribers and he’s surpassed that now.
Captain Jack Sparrow called him yesterday and it was magical .

This is so heartwarming. He is such a beautiful soul!!

Yes and I think it definitely matters what kind of movie/series/production something is AND what kind of character. Many characters are just a persona and not deeply developed.

With James Bond it was never about the "person" who played it as it was a stiff English suit wearing person that worked in the constructs of the story. It was like different generations view of what they looked like. Most mentioned are just "a look" that is needed because the characters don't have depth.

When you have a character that comes alive inside and out, speaking, voice, makeup, the incredible depth ... it is very difficult to replace and have audience accept them as anything other than an imposter. Very often the character becomes a distraction to the point the movie won't work - good example is Grindelwald. I could not stay engaged with character because it just wasn't working with all the change. I feel they failed their audience. Bring in a new character but don't try to force soup of the day on me.

Disney either tries to make a movie without him (in current movie times that might be a financial loss) OR they do what they need to do to bring him back. He IS the character and the character IS the movies. Will be that way for decades. So make it work or vault it for now.
Very well said. On the money loss, the last Pirates didn't have that great of a rating, but it made Disney a lot of money, nevertheless. Remove Johnny, and you remove the heart of Pirates. Johnny IS the best thing about the Pirates franchise. Same about The Witcher and Henry Cavill. The Witcher has had very poor ratings, which mean the writing is off, but it is/was doing well with high viewership, because of Cavill. His portrayal of Geralt made it worth watching.

Even though Johnny Depp won that lawsuit, it showed us all something about his person…

He is a crude, nasty, loser, druggie of a human being.
Would anyone really want him as a role model for their kids?

The things that make Johnny Depp such a tough person to like as a human being are the traits that make him such a great actor and pirate!! We have to separate the two, somehow!!
I can't really comment on this one, since I haven't had the opportunity of getting to know him as a person.

Even though Johnny Depp won that lawsuit, it showed us all something about his person…

He is a crude, nasty, loser, druggie of a human being.
Would anyone really want him as a role model for their kids?
The thing about that lawsuit is that we were shown the intimate details of the lives of two people who were both struggling and made some very poor decisions. So, it told me only exactly that. Both Johnny and Amber had a made a series of unfortunate decisions that ultimately put them on a path of destruction. None of us are perfect, and while our lives may not have traveled down such a road, we have the luxury of keeping the dirty laundry in the bin. We can't truly know someone's thought and feelings, even when we know them intimately and, especially, not when we only see what is revealed to us by the media. People make mistakes, but they can learn, grow, and become better in spite of them. Are there deeds that are so vile that someone can't come back from them? Absolutely, but I don't see any of that here.

Even with Amber, I hope she finds the healing she needs to be who she can truly become.

The thing about that lawsuit is that we were shown the intimate details of the lives of two people who were both struggling and made some very poor decisions. So, it told me only exactly that. Both Johnny and Amber had a made a series of unfortunate decisions that ultimately put them on a path of destruction. None of us are perfect, and while our lives may not have traveled down such a road, we have the luxury of keeping the dirty laundry in the bin. We can't truly know someone's thought and feelings, even when we know them intimately and, especially, not when we only see what is revealed to us by the media. People make mistakes, but they can learn, grow, and become better in spite of them. Are there deeds that are so vile that someone can't come back from them? Absolutely, but I don't see any of that here.

Even with Amber, I hope she finds the healing she needs to be who she can truly become.
Much of what came out about Depp showed me these things were not just mistakes, or a one time indiscretion.
It showed he made thoughtful, calculated choices. The wrong choices. Many of which he stood by and defended.
He is vile.

Much of what came out about Depp showed me these things were not just mistakes, or a one time indiscretion.
It showed he made thoughtful, calculated choices. The wrong choices. Many of which he stood by and defended.
He is vile.

I watched the trial as well, and while there were some eyebrow raising moments, I saw nothing that would signal putrid through to the core. Perhaps, our definitions of vile are different. It's a very strong word. We had two people who had experienced trauma come together and clash, feeding off one another's energy. Sometimes certain people shouldn't be together. Negativity feeds negativity. During the trial, I saw a lot of evidence of reactionary abuse on Johnny's end. As far as defending and standing by those choices, since I'm not sure which actions you are referring to, I can't comment exactly; however, I can say that sometimes when one is in the midst of chaos, it's difficult to see the larger picture. They can only react to and comment on what is right before them, and if their mind is still in defense mode, it can't begin to heal. Reflection requires time, healing, and surrounding yourself with people who believe in you.

Johnny has had plenty of selfless acts to tell me that the good in him will outweigh the darkness that plagued him. None of us are absolutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter