Jon and Kate Plus 8. Official Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on the Duggar thread floating around here, but to me there's no comparison between the Gosselins and Duggars. The Gosselin kids get more individual attention and "kid" time than the Duggar kids could ever imagine. I find it very, very strange that the boys and girls all share rooms (two rooms between 18 kids?!) and are expected to take care of and essentially raise each other while mom and dad lock themselves up in their bedroom to make more babies. It's like a cult, whereas the Gosselin house is more like a home :confused3

i could'nt feel more differently.

the gosselin's refer constantly (unless a particular child is featured in a show or is misbehaving in a show) as either "caraandmatty/thetwins", "theboys" or "thegirls"-while in their specials as well as the the new show the duggars (parents and sibs alike) refer to each child by their individual names. given-the duggars have 'the buddy system' that enlists an elder child to oversee a younger-but as compared to the gosselin's that's one on one attention vs using a paid care provider who operates in the absence of the parents on a 1 to 8 ratio. jon and kate have said they are thrilled at being able to do one 'special day' each year with each child where they are able to reccognize and appriciate their individuality (and hope to achieve that twice per year) while michelle duggar homeschools all of her children which would point to much more individualized concentration to her children's needs/talents/demands.

as for bedroom arrangements-i don't see any real difference regarding the division of the sexes- except that the gosselins choose to have one female child (of the sextuplets) sleep alone in the basement. the duggars currently have the youngest of their children sleeping in their room (the youngest is always mom's 'buddy') while the others sleep similarly divided by gender.

as someone posted before-its like comparing apples to pineapples because of the differences in the way the families operate, but for me at least, the major difference in the way the families operate is that the duggars have personal wealth (see some of the old duggar threads re walmart $$$/family wealth) and investments such that while they have chosen to have more children than i personaly believe is reasonable for 2 parents to raise they have the means to privatly provide and support them-the gosselins (and kate in particular) on the otherhand, have been very vocal in their opinions that despite being aware that one is unable to financialy provide for the number of children one gives birth to-because one can give birth to a large number of children via medical advances it is the obligation of the rest of us as taxpayers to provide for their financial needs and support.

Only if it's sheeplé!! We're high maintenance, you know!! :lmao:

:worship: ;)

Something that bugged me about the FAQ show the other night: it was asked how they plan their outings. I was expecting them to say that the show (and producers) have a hand in determining what they do; but Jon made it sound like all of those outings are THEIR idea. He mentioned thinking back to his own childhood and wanting to give his kids the same experiences. C'mon - I'm getting the impression that, these days, the producers are dictating where they go and what they do, aren't you guys?

Something that bugged me about the FAQ show the other night: it was asked how they plan their outings. I was expecting them to say that the show (and producers) have a hand in determining what they do; but Jon made it sound like all of those outings are THEIR idea. He mentioned thinking back to his own childhood and wanting to give his kids the same experiences. C'mon - I'm getting the impression that, these days, the producers are dictating where they go and what they do, aren't you guys?

They also mentioned at one point that the destinations invite them. They get free trips, the destination gets free advertising (that plays over and over and over). Seems to work. I remember a lot of chatter about Sesame Place when that episode debuted.

When he talked about the things he did as a child, they kind of showed the tamer outings (farm, train museum, etc.).

Speaking of train museum...we're going to Thomas on Friday!! Woo-hoo!! OK, within a one week span, we hit the bouncy house (Pump It Up), The Little Gym and Day Out With Thomas. Someone tell us how unrelatable we are!! :laughing:

i can see it in making sense in terms of things like his having gone on a family ski or beach trip as a kid or enjoying trips to places like the kid friendly portions of museums and tagging along with his dad to play golf-but the bulk of what i consider their 'outings' i can't imagine he did as a child. i don't think the crayola factory even had a visitor's center until 1980, thomas the train was'nt widely popular (and there was no traveling version till he was in his late 20's) and some of the types of places like the bsns that have big rooms with nothing but those bounce houses or dicovery zone type climbing and exercise venues (like the little ones used on the traveling bus and went to back a season or so ago) did'nt realy come into being until he would have been an older teen (early 90's).

i suspect it's more an arrangement where they are approached by buisnesses or venues and if it appeals to j&k and the production company can make the arrangements then it's a go. i recall reading on some other board a posting by a woman whose husband worked in the managment and promotions for some kind of popular family oriented place within a reasonable distance to the gosselin's home and she told of how her dh had been very involved in putting together a stay for the family which was offered to them. if i remember right while they responded that they were interested and it appealed to them they could'nt do it because the production company had already obligated and arranged their outings well into the filming schedual a year or more out.

Awesome. They'll be here on Saturday at 1. Guess it's just J&K plus the twins:

1:00 pm Meet Jon & Kate Gosselin and twins Cara and Madeline from TLC’s, Jon & Kate Plus Eight! Sponsored by: Dairy Farmers Inc.& 3aday.org and Mix 105.1

I'm thinking about going, but I'm sure it's going to be crazy mobbed!

Kate will be on TLC's "Say Yes To the Dress" On October 10th at 10pm!
She gets to pick out her wedding vow renewal dress. She falls in love with 2 dresses, so the designers must figure out how to combine 2 dresses into 1!!
(Kinda being picky when you're getting it for free, Kate):rotfl:

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/archives/2008/09/kate_gosselin_d.html

Wouldn't it completely blow the GWOP's minds if she appeared on "What Not to Wear"? $5,000 and a free makeover? :thumbsup2

I didn't get that impression at all. In fact I was glad that they acknowledge that they get a lot of their trips for free (in exchange for advertising).

Isn't it funny how people get different things out of watching the same show?

I didn't get that impression at all. In fact I was glad that they acknowledge that they get a lot of their trips for free (in exchange for advertising).

:thumbsup2

Oh I know they talked about the trips being for free - that was an entirely different question and they made it clear how appreciative they were. This was a question about the "day" outings; I think someone asked how do you decide what to go out and do with eight kids ..... blah, blah, blah. I guess I was remembering back to the "bakery" episode where it looked clear to me that Kate didn't really want to be there - I just assumed those outings were picked and determined by the producers.

Kate will be on TLC's "Say Yes To the Dress" On October 10th at 10pm!
She gets to pick out her wedding vow renewal dress. She falls in love with 2 dresses, so the designers must figure out how to combine 2 dresses into 1!!
(Kinda being picky when you're getting it for free, Kate):rotfl:

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/archives/2008/09/kate_gosselin_d.html

This why I can no longer watch this show. Its kates self intitlement. Come,they haven't even been married 10yrs and they are renewing their vows. What a joke.

This why I can no longer watch this show. Its kates self intitlement. Come,they haven't even been married 10yrs and they are renewing their vows. What a joke.

I get that it could be seen as a joke to renew after 10 years but many couples don't even make it that long. It is an accomplishment in my book.

As for the dress/show. Give me a break. I am sure it was all TLC's idea for her to go on that show. I have never watched the dress so I am not sure how it works but I am sure there are many "DIVA'S" who would do the same thing. Oh I can't pick just this one, I like this or that on those others too. And in turn get the dress of their dreams by the designer creating one.

Why is that a joke? A lot of people do it...

I get that it could be seen as a joke to renew after 10 years but many couples don't even make it that long. It is an accomplishment in my book.

As for the dress/show. Give me a break. I am sure it was all TLC's idea for her to go on that show. I have never watched the dress so I am not sure how it works but I am sure there are many "DIVA'S" who would do the same thing. Oh I can't pick just this one, I like this or that on those others too. And in turn get the dress of their dreams by the designer creating one.

Ain't that the truth!!

I'd say after having eight children and living in public scrutiny*, they want to reaffirm their vows. Could be (and probably is) a publicity/perk thing, but it seems logical to me.

*I know they chose to live that way, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc., but what's done is done. Nothing like harsh public criticism to remind a couple how much they need each other.

What really kills me is she gets all this free stuff (evan all the kids clothes) Why not give to a charity,heck shes making money off the free clothes by doing consignments. That just greedy to me.

What really kills me is she gets all this free stuff (evan all the kids clothes) Why not give to a charity,heck shes making money off the free clothes by doing consignments. That just greedy to me.

And you do their taxes so you know what they do or do not donate? :confused3

I don't know why the free stuff bothers people...omg who isn't happy when they get a freaking discount code for a Disney trip. I sure as heck would take free things willingly if I was offered them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!