Josh D’Amaro named head of Parks and Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a very interesting shuffle, especially considering how they were each only in their roles for such a short time. Excited to see what D'Amaro will offer - at the very least, he'll be more interesting during press!

My adult DD was so excited. She initially thought D'Amaro was announced as the new CEO (but it turns out she read the headlines wrong on Twitter 😅 )

D'Amaro seems like such a great guy from what I've read, never anything negative. He is moving up quickly!

I'm glad to see someone with such great experience and charisma take the reins, especially with the tough decisions that will have to be made over the next few years. This should be great news for DLP CM's, as Josh made an active effort at both US resorts to improve CM working conditions. So many at the top have forgotten that frontline CM's are the core of the experience.

I think that this is EXCELLENT news for all of the Disney theme parks. We can all perhaps breathe a little sigh of relief. I can't wait for this week's DIS Unplugged podcast...hoping that Pete tells us all what he thinks of this news. D'Amaro is a real leader in the true sense of the word and just comes across as an overall genuine person who truly cares about CMs and about making the Disney theme parks the best they can be.

I think that at some point, he will end up as CEO of the entire corporation.

Excited for Josh, but am bummed he won't be at WDW anymore. Before I realized who he was, I'm pretty sure I walked right next to him during the opening day of Galaxy's Edge.

This seems like this is a good move that will be better for Parks as a whole, but I'm curious if people think it will it be better for World specifically, with Josh moving into a position of more authority, but his full attention no longer focused on World (especially since his replacement, as Ryan mentioned, is Mr. Upcharge)?

As for the surprising timing of this executive shuffle, I can see a couple possibilities. The most probable reason would seem to be that Parks needs someone in the previously vacant Chairman position ASAP to provide leadership as the parks prepare to reopen. However, inspired by some of Pete's Chapek-loathing conspiracy theories on a previous DIS podcast episode, I thought about the more speculative, paranoid, tin foil hat possibility that Chapek sees the charismatic, well-liked exec on the rise as a threat, and has put him in a position to be the scapegoat for any Covid-related fallout after the parks open. 🤔 😏

[QUOTE="SMRT-1, post: 61900559, member: However, inspired by some of Pete's Chapek-loathing conspiracy theories on a previous DIS podcast episode, I thought about the more speculative, paranoid, tin foil hat possibility that Chapek sees the charismatic, well-liked exec on the rise as a threat, and has put him in a position to be the scapegoat for any Covid-related fallout after the parks open. 🤔 😏
[/QUOTE]
If that was his plan, it could seriously backfire if the phased opening and beyond prove to be successful.

This seems like this is a good move that will be better for Parks as a whole, but I'm curious if people think it will it be better for World specifically, with Josh moving into a position of more authority, but his full attention no longer focused on World (especially since his replacement, as Ryan mentioned, is Mr. Upcharge)?

As for the surprising timing of this executive shuffle, I can see a couple possibilities. The most probable reason would seem to be that Parks needs someone in the previously vacant Chairman position ASAP to provide leadership as the parks prepare to reopen. However, inspired by some of Pete's Chapek-loathing conspiracy theories on a previous DIS podcast episode, I thought about the more speculative, paranoid, tin foil hat possibility that Chapek sees the charismatic, well-liked exec on the rise as a threat, and has put him in a position to be the scapegoat for any Covid-related fallout after the parks open. 🤔 😏

Mr. Quality Experience + Mr. Upcharge = 5th Gate??

If that was his plan, it could seriously backfire if the phased opening and beyond prove to be successful.
Of course.

Although, I don't really think that's what Chapek is doing; I was just having some fun following @WebmasterPete down the conspiratorial Chapek-is-devious path. He does call Chapek "Lex Luthor" after all. 😏

Wow that happened fast!

It seems like good news! Also a fan of Josh here. Disney's been growing its Signature Experiences business quite a lot lately (including hiring lots of marketing and communication people for it), so I'm curious why they've put Mr. Vahle at WDW. The upcharge speculation could certainly be the reason. Either way, I have a feeling there's a bigger reason here beyond "he'd be a good fit."

I also think this is the first WDW president to be appointed to the Chairman position; it bucks their recent trend of shifting other corporate leaders into the Chairman role (Rasulo, Staggs, Chapek). Paul Pressler was the last individual resort president to be appointed to the Chairmanship I believe. He came from DLR.

I think the more interesting news here is about Kevin Mayer. Interesting that he's heading to TikTok. More interesting that their bringing in Rebecca Campbell. I know she was the GM of ABC's O&O in LA (and then in charge of the O&O group) but she still seems like a strange choice.

I know most of us are WDW focused, but I'm curious how the DL people are going to feel about Potrock. Many DVC people have very mixed feelings about him, this could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter