JTV - what do you ladies think about this ring.

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
Is the jewelry from JTV any good, at all?
I have never seen any of their jewelry.

My son is looking to replace a similar ring for his girlfriend/fiance. Hers got damaged. Prong(s) got damaged and the stone was lost. The same ring he had gotten her before is still on the JCPenney website. But, to be honest, it really wasn't that nice of a ring...

But I am seeing this super cheap ring, that I think looks better, on JTV.
https://www.jtv.com/product/sky-blue-topaz-sterling-silver-ring-8.06ctw/SMH161?N=92768275

Do you think this would be okay? A cheap embarrassment?

Should I show him this, or steer him in any direction.

Eh, not my style.

I will say, if the old ring was silver and the prongs got damaged, and it is important that the new ring last longer, don't buy more silver. Silver is a very soft metal that is easily bent. Tell him to spend a little more and get white gold. Blue Nile is a quality online jeweler with reasonable prices for gemstone jewelry.

The JTV ring looks like a $37 ring, which means I would expect it to have all the problems a ring at that price point will eventually have — discoloration, stone clouding/chipping/scratching, poor durability... That’s not really a good deal if it’s a ring that’s supposed to last, but you say it’s an improvement over the one she had before so who knows.

Tell your son about a quality ring you stumbled upon at a great price? Sure, but this ring isn’t that. And I certainly wouldn’t try to “steer him” in any direction.

This is a $37 ring. If this is what he is looking for, then this is the ring. You do not indicate if he has a budget, and what that is. If this falls well below what he has allocated for the ring, I would not even show him. If he is trying to stay under $40, it is an idea to consider.

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware
If it looks too good to be true, it is
210i042.jpg

dh7me0.jpg

33e0oap.jpg

And most importantly, as the MIL or Boyfriend's Mother, I would suggest MYOB. If something goes wrong with the ring you suggested, or she finds out how cheap it was, the girlfriend will always blame you.

Last edited:

Is this supposed to be an engagement ring or him giving her a special piece of jewelry or just something fashionable she will wear?

I come from a very modest background, but I really wouldn't wear a $40 ring unless it was just some fun costume jewelry. If it was for engagement, I'd rather just have a nice solid white gold band when we got married. That is my personal taste, though. At the point of engagement and one ring already damaged, I would probably just talk about this as a couple (without involvement from my future MIL).

The ring is cute, but it’s costume jewellery. It’s okay if that’s what they want. My grandson bought his girlfriend a Pandora ring that’s cute and not bad quality, but they are teenagers, and it’s just a fun ring, not something to last a lifetime.

Thanks!
Yes, both of these are inexpensive jewelry for sure.
He had picked out the first one, while still in high school, and no real money to spend.
It was a kind of 'promise ring', based on what she had said she might like, and even texted him some pics.
She def. liked the Cinderella Blue, and the Halo!

They have been together for years, but are not quite ready to do the Engagement thing yet. They are still very young.
But, yes, the ring would have some meaning, and would be a replacement for that.
The original was found at J.C.Penneys, and it is still on their web-site,
Here: www.jcpenney.com/p/genuine-sky-blue-topaz-and-1-7-ct-t-w-diamond-ring/pp5006152739?pTmplType=regular&catId=SearchResults&searchTerm=blue+topaz+ring&page=3&productGridView=medium&N=1402&selectedSKUId=26714910067&facetSelected=color

I think these two rings are probably similar in quality, but the JTV ring is on a final clearance price.

Yes, that ring at Zales looks very nice!
I wondered about the 10ct White Gold.
Is that okay... I know I would be afraid of the low carat white-gold alloys???
I think that is why I didn't give that one more consideration.
I am not sure about the look of the four big 'claw' prongs... But they would be more durable!

PS: Yes... believe me, I am not one to be overinvolved!!! I think my son really likes when I try to help with things like this that a young guy like him really does not know much about. His girlfriend has gotten some really nice gifts!!!

As for me, myself, I really liked this one when I saw it, just searching around... But, I have never seen EFFY jewelry either.
www.effyjewelry.com/products/effy-ocean-bleu-14k-white-gold-blue-topaz-and-diamond-ring-5-99-tcw

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!