July mini Dismeet

I still have to write about the big hike on Friday, but that will be long so let me catch up Saturday. We started with pancakes and bacon, cooking in the heat. It’s hot and our site is pretty sunny so that is worse. We left at 11, with people still on Jim’s site, to do an easy 5.5 mile hike.

we started on Jake’s creek trail, which was more of a gravel road.

E026662C-6217-4F66-9715-68D5207555C9.jpeg

then hiked cucumber gap. We saw no cucumbers but this was a nice soft grounded trail. It helped my feet.

AFC20DB2-900C-45CE-82F8-3FA31E7D0B80.jpeg

7E126A99-0F5F-4356-B280-D1C8BAECC76B.jpeg

then reached little river trail, basically another gravel road. Pretty views of the river.

238535AD-9791-4813-B4C5-4C2601DC3DD9.jpeg

F4595B02-6796-47A0-9669-01BD4441301D.jpeg

it took less than 2 hours and only 750 ft of elevation, but a good recovery hike.

after we hit publix then chatted with jim.

dinner was salmon and green beans. New recipe for the dismeet.
7A51B011-5F2F-4F9E-9A1D-48B4702CA54C.jpeg

forgot to get the pic before I started.

after dinner celebrated Jim’s bday with some cookie. Stayed up way way too late talking.

Thanks for celebrating and having some birthday cookie with us. I didn't realize it was as late as it was until we went in. I haven't seen that clock hour in a long time.

Enjoy your hike today. We will probably run out to do a little shopping and hang out at the campground. It sounds like Joe should be in early afternoon.

j

I still have to write about the big hike on Friday, but that will be long so let me catch up Saturday. We started with pancakes and bacon, cooking in the heat. It’s hot and our site is pretty sunny so that is worse. We left at 11, with people still on Jim’s site, to do an easy 5.5 mile hike.

we started on Jake’s creek trail, which was more of a gravel road.

View attachment 511625

then hiked cucumber gap. We saw no cucumbers but this was a nice soft grounded trail. It helped my feet.

View attachment 511626

View attachment 511627

then reached little river trail, basically another gravel road. Pretty views of the river.

View attachment 511628

View attachment 511629

it took less than 2 hours and only 750 ft of elevation, but a good recovery hike.

after we hit publix then chatted with jim.

dinner was salmon and green beans. New recipe for the dismeet.
View attachment 511630

forgot to get the pic before I started.

after dinner celebrated Jim’s bday with some cookie. Stayed up way way too late talking.
Little River Trail is actually an old railroad bed from the pre park years when logging was extensive.

Happy BD Jim!
:bday:

Thanks for celebrating and having some birthday cookie with us. I didn't realize it was as late as it was until we went in. I haven't seen that clock hour in a long time.

Enjoy your hike today. We will probably run out to do a little shopping and hang out at the campground. It sounds like Joe should be in early afternoon.

j
Happy Birthday.

Thanks for celebrating and having some birthday cookie with us.
j

Happy Birthday Old Man!

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

Shucks, Mallory loves WHOEVER is showing her attention and petting her.

Kris, what's the average drive time between where the rv park is and the various trail heads? Anything longer than say a half hour?

Ed

That Anchor Down campground looks gorgeous!

I'm currently in the process of trying to find myself a campground in TN with decent internet. I've decided since I can work remote, it's time for me to work "remote". My boss is even telling me to do it lol

We normally stay at Camp Rivers Landing in Pigeon Forge but was googling over the weekend and there are def. some very nice campgrounds all around. I'd like waterfront just to relax.

@bama_ed all kinds of trails all kinds of distance from our RV park. Friday was Rainbow Falls and was 30 minutes. Saturday was little river in Elkmont that was about 40 minutes. Sunday was middle prong and driving on a gravel road so almost an hour. Today was at clingaman’s dome so an hour. Most of the trails with in 30 minutes we have hiked before so attempting to do new stuff.

Today we did a group hike out Forney Ridge trail to Andrew’s Bald. Parking was at Clingaman’s Dome so of course we hiked up that. it was 5 miles total and everyone survived :) going for dis cookout tonight.

Andew’s bald

0FA2D3BE-6928-4932-948A-6D6F6E1791F3.jpeg

top of clingaman dome you could see out, lots of clouds.

BEBA6EB8-7431-41FC-9A04-C3649C1089FC.jpeg

Newfound Gap

51AD50E2-EE50-4342-A18D-73898786635D.jpeg

That Anchor Down campground looks gorgeous!

I'm currently in the process of trying to find myself a campground in TN with decent internet.
Arc,

Anchor Down is pretty nice. We were also there for 5 days in April. Internet is decent, but dependent on how close to the access point you are. We were on 3 different sites in April. Two sites were good. One of those was right next to the AP. The 3rd site was a good distance and I had to hot spot off my work phone to get any work done. The amenities are great though.

We had a great time hiking with everyone today. Here are a few pics from the trail.

Ian and me at Andrew's Bald

20200720_095730.jpg

Some of the group coming down the trail.

20200720_095121_copy_907x1612.jpg

Kris atop Clingman's Dome. It was crowded, so no chance to social distance.

20200720_114015_copy_1612x907.jpg

j

Shucks, Mallory loves WHOEVER is showing her attention and petting her.

Kris, what's the average drive time between where the rv park is and the various trail heads? Anything longer than say a half hour?

Ed
Not to brag Ed but if I stop by to visit she starts to cry once she hears my voice ( And I am not singing ) She likes our Sky to visit too but prefers we leave our Little Miss Dainty "KATIE" home

I slept pretty good last night since I have been staying up late talking. Though last night saw me packing it in at 9:30. Mallory did get to meet Coty. She was very interested. Wish I had a picture. Food was delicious as usual. We made a lot of asparagus and the new green bean recipe. Only a tiny amount left. Guess that means it was good.

this morning we got up and took Ian and his friend hiking. we all did good and on the road before 8 am. this was Ramsey Cascade Trail. It was 8 miles total with 2100 ft of gain. The last mile to the falls was a challenge with the last half more of a scramble but it was fun and worthwhile.

This is in the beginning. It was the stream we followed.

819F1E1A-B2A8-46BB-9FA8-5E1BA15DB9CB.jpeg

bert at one of the stream crossings

77FB3954-39CE-4496-8330-44EC5607366B.jpeg

the falls. They were beautiful well worth the hike.

B07CFD16-2D4E-4872-B127-F1EBB82CE4C9.jpeg

On our way back down started hearing thunder. It was getting closer but we booked it. I did stop though because I saw this

2A163051-BAF1-41D1-B7FC-887768615BC5.jpeg

it kept looking at me. We beat the rain and even home sooner than expected. That will give us some time to change Mallory’s bandage and cook dinner.

weather for the next two days is more rainy than it has been, not just an afternoon thunderstorm. Not sure what we will hike tomorrow. The next two hikes will probably be Silar’s bald on the AT or brushy mountain trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter