July - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyWaffles

DIS Veteran
Starting to toss around timing for our 2020 visit. Aiming to not miss school, our options are:

Easter week
June
July (not the holiday week).

We have been during Easter many times - I’d go if it was the only time that works for our large group, but it’s not my preference.

We have been during the first week of June once and I honestly only remember that it’s hot - nothing about crowds, and it was probably too long ago to compare crowds anyways. One of the only months we’ve never visited WDW is July.

It looks like there is a significant drop in crowds historically when comparing June and July. I don’t put a lot of faith in crowd calendars, and we manage large crowds just fine, but if there is a trend that July is a little less crowded, I think we’d give it a shot.

Heat doesn’t bother us - we’ve been in August and September. My only fear about July is being a little further into hurricane season, but at least it is not peak hurricane season like September.

Are there any people who typically go or have gone in July? What are your thoughts about it? Is it really considered a slower time than June?

Last edited:
We are many time June/July people. We love that time of year. Yes, crowds have been lighter, relatively speaking. I don't know I can honestly say there's a noticable difference between June and July (except the 4th of course). The biggest thing to know about July is it's prime time for the 15s

Our trip this year will be in July and I, too, have been looking at crowd calendars and have found the same thing - there's a dip in crowds following the 4th of July. I also keep reading that, because of the new Star Wars attraction opening in the fall, most people will be holding off on visiting the parks until then...fingers crossed they're right!

July 5th has been my arrival date 2 of the last 3 years with crowds surprisingly light... in fact they were the lightest crowds I've seen in a long time (and we go various times a year).

The 15's are the large tour groups of girls celebrating their Quinceanera. Last year they arrived on the 7th or 8th of July when we were there. The biggest impact is on the value resort's food court and buses. Obviously the later in July you go the more chance you'll run into them.

We did the last week in June last year right before the week of the 4th and it was really good. Only downside is we just missed TSL opening and it was quite hot. But I didn't find it unbearable and the crowds were really quite reasonable. We're going back the same week this year.

I have been many times during spring break, June and July and find that the crowd levels are very similar at all of those times, really. The only times I visited Disney that I actually noticed it being slower were January and the first week of September. In the July I think you can expect highs in the 90s with sunny mornings and an afternoon/evening storm before it clears out again. I like July and am returning this summer!

We went last toward the end of July. Crowds were manageable. We didn't find it to be bad at all. It was hot, but it is July in Florida. It did storm every single afternoon so we didn't get much use out of the Beach Club pool. That is just luck of the draw. I do agree with the PP, no one really knows how Galaxy's Edge is going to affect crowds (we know it is going to make them crazy for a while) but for how long.

What's the "15s", if you don't mind me asking?

In South America (mostly) a girls' 15th b-day is kinda like the Sweet 16 here. It's very common for the girls parents to send them to WDW for a "present". There are tour companies that organize the trips. So you'll see groups of 15 year old girls (and a few boys sometimes) walking through the parks in tour groups. I've seen groups as small as maybe 25 and as large as maybe 75. They all wear tour t-shirts, have the tour guide with a flag, etc....They tend to walk around the parks chanting their songs. July is the month for them to go, so you'll see a ton of them. They can be a bit disruptive, as they like to walk arm in arm and take up the walkway, queue, etc...

I stay off property, but I've heard they trash the resort they stay in...I think it's POP, or one of the other value resorts.

I've been there all of June and July, as well as every other month, for decades, so I'm able to compare the difference between any two months. If there's a difference between June & July it hasn't been apparent to me. But that's all ancient history because all bets are off as to how the impending opening of GE will affect summer crowd levels, if at all. It's a crap shoot. I stay out of the parks as a Guest during the summer, it's too hot.

Starting to toss around timing for our 2020 visit. Aiming to not miss school, our options are:

Easter week
June
July (not the holiday week).

We have been during Easter many times - I’d go if it was the only time that works for our large group, but it’s not my preference.

We have been during the first week of June once and I honestly only remember that it’s hot - nothing about crowds, and it was probably too long ago to compare crowds anyways. One of the only months we’ve never visited WDW is July.

It looks like there is a significant drop in crowds historically when comparing June and July. I don’t put a lot of faith in crowd calendars, and we manage large crowds just fine, but if there is a trend that July is a little less crowded, I think we’d give it a shot.

Heat doesn’t bother us - we’ve been in August and September. My only fear about July is being a little further into hurricane season, but at least it is not peak hurricane season like September.

Are there any people who typically go or have gone in July? What are your thoughts about it? Is it really considered a slower time than June?
We've had wonderful trips in July. Our latest was mid-July 2018. It was hot and humid, but it was that way back home in the northeast too. We just take afternoon breaks at the pool.

Thanks everyone! I think we’ll keep it open to June and July and see when all of us can make it work in that timeframe.

We will be avoiding GE on that first trip after it opens. It will definitely be interesting to see how GE affects overall crowds.

We've been the end of June/beginning of July every year since 2015. We also go during other times of the year, such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, March/April, President's day. June has the most manageable crowds of anytime we've been. The crowds do pick up right around the 4th of July, but not horribly so. We're also planning a possible trip for the end of July this year, so I'm interested to see if there is any noticeable difference in crowd levels.

What's the "15s", if you don't mind me asking?

The 15s are Tour Groups of South American girls celebrating their 15th Birthday.

They are FAMOUS for their matching Backpacks and shirts and for their LARGE numbers!

Most are given the choice of a LARGE party at home or a trip to WDW(some will also go to NYC and Miami and Bahamas)and,in addition to WDW,most will also go to Universal,Sea World,Busch Gardens,etc.

Some will also have Private Parties(some with South American entertainers)as well as Quinceanera celebrations in World ShowPlace.

The largest numbers,BY FAR,are from Brazil and Argentina with smaller numbers from Uruguay,Paraguay,Chile,Venezuela,etc.

It is VERY interesting when Brazil and Argentina encounter each other-they DO NOT like each other-mainly because of Soccer.

Their rivalry is like Alabama v. Auburn or Ohio State v. Michigan on STEROIDS!:)

The "main" months for the migration of The 15s are late July for their Winter Break and January/February for their Summer Break.

I am very familiar with The 15s as we go every July for my Birthday and,for the most part,they are really nice young ladies,but they can get "out of hand" at times!lol:)

They now use Private Buses alot and that has helped greatly as has the introduction of the Super Greeters in the Summer.

I present to you the LEGENDARY PHENOMENON KNOWN AS THE 15s!lol:)

28358124802_af8d3bbc05_c.jpg

The 15s are Tour Groups of South American girls celebrating their 15th Birthday.

They are FAMOUS for their matching Backpacks and shirts and for their LARGE numbers!

Most are given the choice of a LARGE party at home or a trip to WDW(some will also go to NYC and Miami and Bahamas)and,in addition to WDW,most will also go to Universal,Sea World,Busch Gardens,etc.

Some will also have Private Parties(some with South American entertainers)as well as Quinceanera celebrations in World ShowPlace.

The largest numbers,BY FAR,are from Brazil and Argentina with smaller numbers from Uruguay,Paraguay,Chile,Venezuela,etc.

It is VERY interesting when Brazil and Argentina encounter each other-they DO NOT like each other-mainly because of Soccer.

Their rivalry is like Alabama v. Auburn or Ohio State v. Michigan on STEROIDS!:)

The "main" months for the migration of The 15s are late July for their Winter Break and January/February for their Summer Break.

I am very familiar with The 15s as we go every July for my Birthday and,for the most part,they are really nice young ladies,but they can get "out of hand" at times!lol:)

They now use Private Buses alot and that has helped greatly as has the introduction of the Super Greeters in the Summer.

We experienced this group this past July. We were on Test Track with them. Once the doors opened, they made everyone else stop to let the group go first. People weren’t happy.

I give a slight edge to June. Hot, but not quite miserable yet and the firs two weeks of June schools with heavy snow days and colleges on a quarter system MAY still be in session.

Well, free dining is offered in July, so WDW seems to be expecting lower crowds then.
Maybe see if there is any free dining availability at a resort you're interested in.

Good to know, just curious, are there more 15s groups at the parks in July or during January/February? (I had heard they were there in January, but not February)

Also, are the "super greeters" more helpful about discouraging behavior like cutting in line, loud chanting in indoor ques? (I have read in the past that this behavior was not really discouraged by the guides/chaperones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter