Jumping Joyfully into June's WISH Journey

While it was a struggle to have two babies to take care of, I imagined it wouldn't have been much different just adjusting to having one baby. Then the toddler years came along and they were just so cute and it was fun watching their little personalities shine through. Then they entered school and I enjoyed helping them with homework and it was fun watching them learn. But now in the teenage years, I find myself complaining about them...a lot!

I too find myself complaining about my teenager/pre-teen. I love them to death but some days they push my buttons. DD is still very needed and wants to be with me a lot. She will be 12 in August. I do have to remind myself though that she is still young. She looks and acts older at times but then will do something that is more immature and reminds me that she is still just a kid. She is by far my roughest. DS is very easy going but my god he just needs to turn in his homework. She is the kindest smartest kids I know but just does not turn in his homework.

Babies are my favorite stage. I worked in a daycare for almost 10 years and most of that time in the infant room. There is nothing like just rocking a baby. Too bad my second (DD) refused to let me do this. I have already decided that when I am an empty nester I am going to volunteer at a local hospital in the NICU to just rock and hold the babies. Sometimes parents can stay all day because they have to go back to work or the babies that were born addicted to drugs need some cuddling time that the nurses just can't do so they have volunteers do it.

If you bring your own food to work can you please share some ideas for afternoon snacks and lunches

I bring left overs to work for lunch. Today was homemade chicken fingers (baked not fried) and noodles and corn. I don't really snack but if I do bring something it is usually fruit.

Unfortunately she lost the baby. But as painful as it is, I think she has started to accept that nature is like that. She is exhausted, but otherwise doing not so bad (physically).We spoke the other day and she is all set to try again to one day have a moody teenager at home! 😉

I am so sorry.

Since I missed yesterday I am thankful for my mom. She has been the one constant in my life and always there for me. She is taking DS Tuesday night and all day Wednesday While we are with DD for her surgery. She did this a year and a half ago with DD while DS was having surgery.

With fathers day around the corner I have something else to be thankful for. My step dad is great. He took on my sister and I when he married my mom when I was 4 and my sister was 6 plus they had my brother who was born with a heart condition. He stepped up to more of a father to me then my real dad. He taught me so much. I decided not to have either one of my dads walk me down the isle. I just was not going to choose, though neither would have made me. I just couldn't choose between my real dad who was not a great dad and my step dad who was just awesome. So my mom walked me down the isle. What I know about cars came from him. I also got the privilege to the first person to start his that he was building from the frame up. I am still mad that he sold that car to buy a Corvette. He is also a great grandfather to my kids. Him and DD have this very interesting bond. It is fun to watch the two of them together. He calls her Bug (he only gives nicknames to some of us) and when she was younger he bought her anything with a bug. The Barbie VW Beetle, hot wheel cars that her a beetle and she would claim to hate but made sure that she had a lady bug birthday one year because her nick name was bug.

If you bring your own food to work can you please share some ideas for afternoon snacks and lunches
I have a hardboiled egg for a mid-morning snack or a Belvita protein biscuit. Then for the afternoon, I usually have grapes or clementines; carrots, snap peas, or celery; and almonds. Sometimes I'll also have cheese & crackers or a nut or protein bar.

Free-for-all Friday is here! What's on your mind?
What a day! Last day of school and my classroom was pretty much empty (literally only a small table for my laptop and a rug for the kids to sit on). They took all my furniture and boxes this morning and moved them to the other school for next year. We were outside most of the morning for Carnival Day, watched a movie projected from my laptop after lunch, and ended back outside for a teachers vs. 5th graders kickball game. Then after school, we (teachers) have a tradition of standing outside while the buses pull away and wave good-bye to the students. The spot where we stand will be the new two-story addition. So I don't know if that is the end of the tradition or if it will simply move to a different location. Then it was off to my sister's graduation banquet for completing her pediatric residency. She won two awards and it was great for my kids to witness first-hand the results of her hard work and all her schooling. And this weekend is my parents 45th wedding anniversary and Father's Day. Lots to celebrate this week/weekend!

Back home at 2 am and managed only 4 hours sleep. I feel very low on energy and high on enthusiasm but need to pull back and skip the gym today

Food shopping done and will use the lower energy day to decide on recipes for the week ahead. I made red cabbage & carrots & coriander/cilantro juice from lemon. Shredded carrots. Chopped peppers broccoli mangetout baby corn. These will be great to add to salad or for quick stir fry! 3 glass dishes packed with veggies.

I keep changing my mind on how often to weight myself but I think for awhile I will do daily weight in. I went the scale today and it was not fun but at least I have picture of my starting point. 2kg goal for the rest of the month

I was so tired yesterday. I did not even hit my 10k steps. My hunger was down to so great day 1 in terms of calorie deficit

I will head to the gym this morning after good night sleep.

Last edited:
I keep changing my mind on how often to weight myself but I think for awhile I will do daily weight in. I went the scale today and it was not fun but at least I have picture of my starting point. 2kg goal for the rest of the month

I was so tired yesterday. I did not even hit my 10k steps. My hunger was down to so great day 1 in terms of calorie deficit

I will head to the gym this morning after good night sleep.
I just saw a news feature on the idea of 10,000 steps being the magic number for health benefits. Where did this number come from? The companies that make the these tracking devices! Without any scientific data to back them up!
Researchers found that between 4-5000 steps do make a real difference to our health if done consistently.

I tried to copy and paste the article, but can’t do it on the new version of Dis-but if you google NBC news and 10,000 steps you can get the article on You Tube or a print version.

I had a good weekend! I went for a run today and had an active day yesterday. I did quite a bit of cleaning around the house as my cleaning guy had to quit a couple of months ago due to his health issues. I was surprised what a workout cleaning is! I guess that is one reason why I never enjoyed it... I have decided that when I used to pay someone else to do it for me, I can equally pay myself for doing now and it is fun to put the money into my little piggybank after I am finished. So far I am doing ok with keeping things in shape in the house. I am afraid that I tend to be a rather sloppy person. That's why I got someone to clean in the first place...

@HappyGrape how scary about your son having to go to hospital in Spain! I hope he is ok now! It sounds like you are off to a good reboot.

@sjrec is this the article you were talking about: https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-v...-about-tossing-your-10k-step-goal-ncna1014506

You can always just copy and paste the URL directly into the text field. I was kind of aware that the number was rather artificial. But I liked the Japanese back story, especially since I am trying to learn Japanese at the moment. I also found it interesting how they said that it could deter you from having a more balanced exercise regime. I know that it kept me from using my bike more. I have finally gotten to the point where I stopped looking at any goal for my steps on the days when I am biking to work. I never am below 5000 steps on those days anyway and then the biking is exercise, too. It is even better cardio exercise because it gets my heart rate up much more. The interesting thing is that my Garmin watch actually calculates my daily goal from what I did the previous days, so, when I walk a lot, it moves up and when I walk less, it moves down.

I had a good weekend! I went for a run today and had an active day yesterday. I did quite a bit of cleaning around the house as my cleaning guy had to quit a couple of months ago due to his health issues. I was surprised what a workout cleaning is! I guess that is one reason why I never enjoyed it... I have decided that when I used to pay someone else to do it for me, I can equally pay myself for doing now and it is fun to put the money into my little piggybank after I am finished. So far I am doing ok with keeping things in shape in the house. I am afraid that I tend to be a rather sloppy person. That's why I got someone to clean in the first place...

@HappyGrape how scary about your son having to go to hospital in Spain! I hope he is ok now! It sounds like you are off to a good reboot.

@sjrec is this the article you were talking about: https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-v...-about-tossing-your-10k-step-goal-ncna1014506

You can always just copy and paste the URL directly into the text field. I was kind of aware that the number was rather artificial. But I liked the Japanese back story, especially since I am trying to learn Japanese at the moment. I also found it interesting how they said that it could deter you from having a more balanced exercise regime. I know that it kept me from using my bike more. I have finally gotten to the point where I stopped looking at any goal for my steps on the days when I am biking to work. I never am below 5000 steps on those days anyway and then the biking is exercise, too. It is even better cardio exercise because it gets my heart rate up much more. The interesting thing is that my Garmin watch actually calculates my daily goal from what I did the previous days, so, when I walk a lot, it moves up and when I walk less, it moves down.
Yes, that’s the article! I tried copying and pasting the URL from my phone, but that shouldn’t make a difference? I will experiment again!

“Every day I make small changes to build a healthy body and healthy mind”

I have chosen to keep this affirmation in mind for the next week. This is my motivation Monday post

I will also give you preview of my sheet. Second tab have daily weigh in, calories, protein, fat, carbs, workout, steps, sleep and water intake. I will stick with less than 6 hours sleep no workout just walks. The other 3 tabs have 3 cells for each day to fill in 3 gratitude, wins and high priority task

I also decided to set up 12 days program only and review and revise after. I am finding I don't want to eat as much as protein, as I don't want to take protein powders and I don't want to eat too much meat as it doesn't feel right for me. I think for me the minimum protein per day is 100g the minimum carbs is 150 - I miserable and so low mood energy under that. I don't know how people do lower carb diets. Anyhow - this is the starting point, I may be more specific the next 12 days. I like giving myself short term target as even a month can feel so long right now!

day 1 to 12.png

Last edited:
note the mickey check logo! I like that is good for you but fun too so I will rob it for my operation transformation! :)

@Flossbolna it was ok honestly. He had very bad reaction to spf and we had to take him to hospital as the doctors won't deal with kids in their practice. He had to stay away from the sun, injections steroids etc but is fine and lucky with rashguard he was able to swim and enjoy his time in the end

I naturally move a lot. Unless I am super tired or sick I never do under 12 000 steps. I think that explains why I burn out so easy in the gym. I find good walk outdoors important for my mood, and if I do very hard core gym workout as spin class or heavy weights leg exercises I am unable toe enjoy to move as much as I like to after and I get very cranky. I agree - if you cycle you can't look at the steps too. I would add 3000 steps at least for every 30 minutes cycling

I read somewhere we have natural set point about how much we like to move. You can up or down 10/20% but long term you are driven to go to your set point. I also think for me being active person is better suited goal, than being hard core gym goer. With hypermobility in mind and my natural love for being out and about. That's why I am happy with my new bodyweight plans - they are short and seem more maintainable, at least on paper.

I don't think there is one way suit all. Hubby loves sitting on his bum a lot and hits the tennis court like nobody is watching and that's his way. He prefer going all out for perdiods of time.

As I type this I have happy playlist on my spotify and do little dance to start me for the day! I do standing meetings, calls in work. I don't like to sit much.

I will have to do big clean up today after work too. We are putting out place back on the market in few weeks and the photographers are coming to take pictures. We changed estate agents. They asked us to pain white and put mirrors around the place and it doesn't feel like home at all anymore but maybe this is good as it will make it easier to let go.

Last edited:
@HappyGrape I love your worksheet! You are so organized!

I used to break out on my skin from sun and sunscreen. So uncomfortable! I started using those sensitive skin products and it was much better. Also a doctor told me to make sure to have lots of calcium to prevent it. Not sure what your son’s problem was, but if it was sun related, the calcium might help in the future?

I am a naturally not moving person. However, I have learned that exercise makes me happier. So, I am always struggling a bit to move more than my natural set point. Partly this has become a habit now, so it isn’t too bad. But there are always times when I revert to not moving.

We had a great day yesterday. I spent some time at my mom and step dad's for Fathers day. We are planning a trip to Disney for next year with my mom and my mom said that I need to invite my sister and her family and my brother and his family. So I did. Now I am just mad about it. I don't think my brother will go. He hates everything about Disney. My sister is going to go but do other stuff other then Disney. She also is say we need to a specific week. I am mad because (and I am being selfish) I wanted to spend time with my mom and step dad at Disney. Now they will be going off site with my sister too. They will be splitting their time. They have done several vacations together in the past. This was going to be my first. I wasn't able to make to 2 of the others because I just got a new job and didn't have time off yet and the other because we had already booked and paid for a Disney trip by the time they started to plan the trip. I know I am the only crazy Disney lover in my family. My mom doesn't even care that much about Disney. She tells me all the time I need to stop taking trips to Disney and see other stuff. They funny thing about that is we only ever went to Myrtle Beach growing up. So I get it in a away but it is frustrating that my plans in my head will change. We will still go to Disney but my plans of how that looks will change.

We had a great day yesterday. I spent some time at my mom and step dad's for Fathers day. We are planning a trip to Disney for next year with my mom and my mom said that I need to invite my sister and her family and my brother and his family. So I did. Now I am just mad about it. I don't think my brother will go. He hates everything about Disney. My sister is going to go but do other stuff other then Disney. She also is say we need to a specific week. I am mad because (and I am being selfish) I wanted to spend time with my mom and step dad at Disney. Now they will be going off site with my sister too. They will be splitting their time. They have done several vacations together in the past. This was going to be my first. I wasn't able to make to 2 of the others because I just got a new job and didn't have time off yet and the other because we had already booked and paid for a Disney trip by the time they started to plan the trip. I know I am the only crazy Disney lover in my family. My mom doesn't even care that much about Disney. She tells me all the time I need to stop taking trips to Disney and see other stuff. They funny thing about that is we only ever went to Myrtle Beach growing up. So I get it in a away but it is frustrating that my plans in my head will change. We will still go to Disney but my plans of how that looks will change.

I am sorry that you feel like you lost out of special time with your mom! I can relate very well. My father lives in the same town as me and it often feels like I am the daughter who gets to do the not fun, but has to be done stuff with him, while when my sister is here or he visits her, it is all about the fun stuff. I did tell him that once and he felt very sorry about it and he has changed a bit. Next years trip can't be changed now for you anymore. But can't you tell your mother that you would love to have a special trip in the future just with her and your family because you feel like you missed out on that opportunity?

@piglet1979 you want to see the face of my SIL when I told her I have seen some new electic vehicles recharging points at HRH in Orlando and it looks cool. She was WHY ARE you looking at it? I told her as I fully intend to go again!

We are saving for house right now and Orlando is expensive - but also we work so hard and it makes us really happy. We all want to come back. She was rolling her eyes when she said WHY??? Why do think? My money, my vactions, my way. Or ours should I say. She is much more interested in nice cars houses etc and does not really travel much so doesn't get it

I understand how you feel. It isn't selfish. I don't wan to do Disney with people who don't get it, and I fully understand not everyone will.

I'm back... re-entry is in progress, slowly easing back in to everyday life again.

It was a good trip, but so darn hot, humid and stormy that I didn't do nearly as much as I had thought I would. The highlight this trip where the stage shows: I'd only seen the Nemo puppet show once before back when it was new, and didn't like it at all. I finally saw it again this trip because, heck, it was in-doors, and I was mesmerized. For Hoop de Doo I went over to the Fort early and sat in a rocking chair on the porch for quite a while, which was just lovely. My table was in the first row right up next to the stage and the piano and it was a hoot... so much fun. I also had a good seat right up front for the Frozen Sing-along and it's always a lot of fun. The Villains After Hours was OK... I loved seeing Maleficent up close and all the rides were walk-on. They had character actors at Pirates, which was a lot of fun... I wish they had done more of that actually. But being in the park when it was so dark and there were so few people was kind of spooky.

I felt like I made good food choices, with just a few exceptions. Second night I ate at POP, having the turkey, mash potatoes and green beans dinner... I started having a coughing fit before I made it back to the room, and was pretty upset about it thinking is this what the week is going to be like? I did some internet searching again on tomato allergies and it turns out I'm not just allergic to tomatoes, it is the lectins in the tomatoes that cause the problem... and lectins are in the nightshades, so the mash potatoes and in the green beans, so I had just given myself a double whammy. I was careful the rest of the week, the only exception being trying the corn bread at Hoop de Doo... I thought that I might be able to tolerate the corn after it had been ground down to meal and baked, but the next morning I woke up with a thick allergy head, so I guess not.

My motivation this week is going to remain to "Choose Happy", and to not get wound right back in to the crazy.

Last edited:
I love looking in on Mondays and catching up with everyone!

Happy Grape, I love your chart. Checking things off is very satisfying.
And I agree, walking outside is good for my mood as well as my hips.

Flossbolna, I also have to talk myself into exercise, but then, like you,I enjoy it so much! I need to remember that feeling when I am feeling lazy.

Piglet, I am sorry your vacation is not what you had planned/hoped. Maybe a special outing for you, your mother and daughter? The tea at the Grand Floridian is lovely. Maybe one of the days your sister is off doing other things?

Welcome back, Oneanne! It sounds like you had a good trip! I will be living vicariously through everyone else’s trips because we won’t go back until next August. My daughter and her husband are in education so if we travel with them it’s in the summer-so hot and humid is a given!
It sounds like you’re still working on these allergy issues-that can be stressful while traveling. But I love your phrase to choose happy!

My motivation this week is to plan meals so I maintain my weight (my clothes all fit this summer as opposed to last year). I’m fighting a cold and would prefer to just eat ice cream for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!