Jungle Cruise-esque book

MissGina5

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I am a school librarian and even I can't crack this one. I am looking for a middle grade/YA book that feels kind of Jungle Cruise like in nature (think adventurous 1930s!) Anyone have any suggestions? Does Disney have anything like that, I know they have the picture book and will probably make the movie into a book but I am more searching for the aesthetic within a book.

Or going the other way (maybe too high a reading/material level??) I'm also reminded of The African Queen, by C.S. Forester.

The Jungle Cruise is totally based on The African Queen, the movie anyway. I don't know how different it is from the book but I'd imagine the vibe is similar. To the OP, The African Queen is a bit more serious, but absolutely has that 1930's adventure feel. The JC wasn't originally full of corny jokes actually so it was probably more similar.

Last edited:
Tagging on to the comments about The African Queen--The movie, with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn, is considered a classic with a 98% score on Rotten Tomatoes. Bogart won an Oscar for his role.

I don't know that a school librarian is in a position to encourage watching movies (rather than reading) but the film is certainly suitable for middle school aged kids. It'd be fun to have a class watch the movie and compare it to the Disney attraction.

Sorry if I got off track there;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter