jungle skipper canteen, mk

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
went this week. last time there was last year. i requested any bread (pita or naan type) with the falafel. was told there was no bread for that. no bread for anyone. not even to start the meal. last time i remember my son having two pieces of the naan bread. i really didn't like have falafel with hummus and no pita with it. kind of hungry after. my dh had a salad. no bread with it. would have been nice.

We went there when it was fairly new and got a bread basket. We didn’t get any bread last summer when we went. I also wish we had gotten some. We thought our meals weren’t as good last summer either. We probably won’t return for awhile. We did love the Fanta melon frosty though ;)

went this week. last time there was last year. i requested any bread (pita or naan type) with the falafel. was told there was no bread for that. no bread for anyone. not even to start the meal. last time i remember my son having two pieces of the naan bread. i really didn't like have falafel with hummus and no pita with it. kind of hungry after. my dh had a salad. no bread with it. would have been nice.

Sorry you were disappointed. Not all restaurants serve free bread, and I've never seen it reported being served at Skipper's.

It sounds like all you ordered were apps. If you were still hungry, why didn't you order an entree or more apps?

We didn't get any bread two trips ago and on or last visited I actually asked about it. The CM said they had stopped serving it. When they did serve it though it wasn't a pita or a naan but an "ambasha" which tasted like wheat to me and came with a yummy honey dipping sauce.

We didn't get any bread two trips ago and on or last visited I actually asked about it. The CM said they had stopped serving it. When they did serve it though it wasn't a pita or a naan but an "ambasha" which tasted like wheat to me and came with a yummy honey dipping sauce.

Ugh, that sucks. We loved the bread and the dip.

It’s pretty weird that it’s the only restaurant that doesn’t put a bread basket on the table. What could possibly be the reason for that? Just really weird.

We’ll be there again next May, and it won’t ruin the dinner or anything, just seems very unusual to have one place among so many that won’t serve it’s customers bread.

:sunny:

This is the bread I remembered! We liked it.

It’s pretty weird that it’s the only restaurant that doesn’t put a bread basket on the table. What could possibly be the reason for that? Just really weird.

We’ll be there again next May, and it won’t ruin the dinner or anything, just seems very unusual to have one place among so many that won’t serve it’s customers bread.

Actually we didn’t get bread at most restaurants. We asked for some at Liberty Tree Tavern at lunch and he did bring us some. We have had to ask for a long time at lunch there- maybe always . We got some at BOG dinner too but I can’t remember any other restaurant giving it without paying - we paid for some as an appetizer at Via napoli.

We went there when it was fairly new and got a bread basket. We didn’t get any bread last summer when we went. I also wish we had gotten some. We thought our meals weren’t as good last summer either. We probably won’t return for awhile. We did love the Fanta melon frosty though ;)
right. no more bread basket. and no more naan bread with certain meals (like the falafel). won't return so quick. was hungry after the meal.

right. no more bread basket. and no more naan bread with certain meals (like the falafel). won't return so quick. was hungry after the meal.

You did not order a MEAL; you ordered an appetizer. Bread doesn't normally come with an appetizer. What comes with the falafel is clearly stated on the menu:

Falls Family Falafel
A secret recipe of Chickpeas, Garlic, Onions, Lemon Juice, and Herbs served with House-made Edamame Hummus and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

You did not order a MEAL; you ordered an appetizer. Bread doesn't normally come with an appetizer. What comes with the falafel is clearly stated on the menu:

Falls Family Falafel
A secret recipe of Chickpeas, Garlic, Onions, Lemon Juice, and Herbs served with House-made Edamame Hummus and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

When I went there, the bread came out before we even ordered and I ordered an appetizer for my entree and my kid ordered a kid's meal. It still came with bread service. I think typically when restaurants do bread service they bring it out even if you order an app for your meal. And it was plenty of food with a piece of bread.

Also they used to have naan available as part of their veggie curry so I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought on request for the OP a year ago. I think the OPs point is that they no longer have ANY bread at all, and that this is different from a year ago. I know stuff changes but I don't think having expectations based on an actual experience you've had are unreasonable.

Falls Family Falafel

Even though it doesn't say it, I would have assumed there was pita or some kind of chip involved too. I've never been served hummus without some bread/chip/cracker to eat it on.

Thanks for the heads up OP. I was thinking I would get this and another app when we go but not if you can't get pita with it.

I have an ADR for Skipper Canteen in January (my first time trying it) and was looking forward to that bread! Bummer!

Actually we didn’t get bread at most restaurants. We asked for some at Liberty Tree Tavern at lunch and he did bring us some. We have had to ask for a long time at lunch there- maybe always . We got some at BOG dinner too but I can’t remember any other restaurant giving it without paying - we paid for some as an appetizer at Via napoli.

Hmmm, well, we haven’t been to Liberty Tree in many years, but EVERY restaurant we’ve eaten at in WDW over the last many years (with the obvious exceptions of Mexican, Japanese and Chinese venues) has put a bread basket on the table, with many yummy types of bread and various types of butter or herbed oil. It’s something we look forward to. Eliminating bread altogether or offering only paid-for bread just plain stinks lol.

Hmmm, well, we haven’t been to Liberty Tree in many years, but EVERY restaurant we’ve eaten at in WDW over the last many years (with the obvious exceptions of Mexican, Japanese and Chinese venues) has put a bread basket on the table, with many yummy types of bread and various types of butter or herbed oil. It’s something we look forward to. Eliminating bread altogether or offering only paid-for bread just plain stinks lol.

I grew up in the Middle East and we never ate falafel with bread. I actually thought Skipper Canteen's version was delightfully authentic. The hummus should really be treated as a sauce to accompany the falafel.

But also, I'm agreeing with all others; it really makes no sense to order an appetizer and no main course and then complain about leaving hungry. I'll sometimes order two appetizers and make that my meal, but they are portioned to be eaten in addition to something else, not alone.

Falls Family Falafel

I hope you realize that hummus USUALLY comes with something to dip, most often pita.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter