Jury Duty - anyone NOT able to get out of it?

I think in most areas you can postpone/reschedule it once. And also, it would be rare for jury duty to last 2 weeks, unless it's a high profile/major case. I'd just go to your area's courts' website, and try to look up the regulations for jury duty, if they aren't included in your letter.

Canadian here. I wrote a very detailed letter as directed to the Sheriff's office. I included all the non-refundable expenses (air fare and resort package), I explained the planning and special events planned and t-shirts ordered for our graduation trip. I included details of when tickets were bought etc. i was extremely thankful when they called a week later and excused me.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've only seen people say that they were able to get a postponement, so that is what I figured but wanted to see if there was a time they wouldn't let them.

I've had to have it postponed a couple of times with no problem. They were very helpful and accommodating both times.

Had this happen once here in Texas. Each jurisdiction is different I imagine but here you have to use an online form to request a postponement. Prior to the advent of online processing they would accept a confirmed flight itinerary showing conflict if faxed/emailed/mailed to the court.

Go prepared to serve, but bring proof of travel plans in case you're being considered for a longer trial. Most trials are brief, and most folks in the jury pool are not chosen to serve on a jury.

Go prepared to serve, but bring proof of travel plans in case you're being considered for a longer trial. Most trials are brief, and most folks in the jury pool are not chosen to serve on a jury.
I did this when I was called for jury duty about 2 & half before a vacation. However the jury summons in my county is 1 day and if not picked you are released. Wasn't picked but the 2 times I was it was a 3 & 4 day trial. Not sure how many days OP has to sit before being released

If you write a very brief professional letter asking for a postponement, BUT emphasize you are willing and happy to serve and provide specific dates that tends to work.

This happened to my father two trips in a row and that strategy worked well.

I just got my notice dated for 4 weeks from now and we leave in 6 weeks :worried:

I was able to postpone Jury Duty by several months in WI.

It was not due to vacation. I was in school and was taking important classes I just could not miss.

There was an option to go to the web-site and change the date for Jury Duty. I picked up the date after the school was over, it was about 3-4 months after I was assigned initially. They did ask to put a reason, I wrote I could not miss the classes.

It still was subject to approval. But lucky for me I received a letter with the date I indicated at the web-site about couple weeks after I applied at the web-site.

Good luck to the Topic Starter! Hope everything will work out!

Canadian here. I wrote a very detailed letter as directed to the Sheriff's office. I included all the non-refundable expenses (air fare and resort package), I explained the planning and special events planned and t-shirts ordered for our graduation trip. I included details of when tickets were bought etc. i was extremely thankful when they called a week later and excused me.
Glad it worked out for you and perhaps we'll see you there if you're going to be at The Fort. Wish us luck as DD was supposed to be finished teaching college the week before but now because of the strike, her classes will be in the middle of exams. Think The Fort will provide a good sick letter lol

It probably depends on the state you're in. I live in CT and I was called for Jury Duty February 2016, the day before I was scheduled to fly down to Orlando. I told myself that they won't call anyone that day and it will be fine. Ha. I called up as you're told to do the night before and people were being called in. I went online and was able to postpone to July when I was excused. But that was a dicey 60 minutes or so.

I was called for my upcoming trip, again the day before I fly out. I will be postponing again.

I was excused for the last week of jury duty due to a vacation. As soon as I got the notification, I followed the directions in the letter including attaching copies of pre-paid hotel and flight reservations.

I got out of it because of a scheduled surgery
Postponed for 6 months
Then I called in every morning an my number was never selected !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter