Jury Duty

Is this local or federal? In the county I live in, you just report on the day indicated on your summons. If you get excused after Voir Dire, you are completely done with your jury duty for this summons, usually before lunch time. If you make the cut and are seated to hear and decide the case, then it will only be for one trial.

In response about if your day off happens to land when you had to do jury duty
The last time I got called my boss was really great he switched my days off to the days I had jury duty so I wouldn’t lose my days off
He was a super boss

In response about if your day off happens to land when you had to do jury duty
The last time I got called my boss was really great he switched my days off to the days I had jury duty so I wouldn’t lose my days off
He was a super boss
But you are losing (or at least potentially losing) the days off, because they're not "off", you're on jury duty.

Just completed my jury duty, never had to go to the courthouse. Checked in last night and was informed I didn't need to show up today. Just checked for tomorrow and was informed that I don't need to show up the rest of the week. Can't be called again for four years.

I haven't been called for jury duty in several years so I'm sure I'm due. I was put into a pool of potential jurors for a civil trial on the second day of duty. First day I sat around until the middle of the afternoon when they told a group of us that bad news is we have to come back the next day but good news is it's for a civil trial so if we're picked for the jury it's the shortest trial on the docket. The other jurors were called for criminal trials expected to go several weeks.

I end up getting seated on the jury but when the judge asked me what I did for a living and explained my work, both lawyers asked to speak with me and the judge in his chambers. They wanted to know more details about my work and when they realized I do thorough technical examinations, they moved to have me dismissed. On one hand I would love to be on a jury not only to do my civic duty, but to see how the whole process works firsthand. On the other, I wouldn't want to miss so many days of work.

They have tried many times to get me on Jury Duty and it is not as though I am shirking my public duty, but I work out of state so I can never come in for it.

Any diabetics? I have to call in on Wednesday to see if I have jury duty on the 11th. I’m diabetic (type2) but started insulin last November. It an insulin shot once a day. I’m doing great but recently my numbers do go low once in awhile. At work I spread out my eating and they are flexible. I have the freestyle Libre sensor that reads off my phone. It also sends an alarm warning on my phone when my sugar goes low. I hear phones are allowed in the court rooms but must be turned off.

Any tips or advice for us diabetics? How often do they give breaks? Is lunch 30 mins or an hour? Can we take snacks, food or drinks in? Thanks

Any diabetics? I have to call in on Wednesday to see if I have jury duty on the 11th. I’m diabetic (type2) but started insulin last November. It an insulin shot once a day. I’m doing great but recently my numbers do go low once in awhile. At work I spread out my eating and they are flexible. I have the freestyle Libre sensor that reads off my phone. It also sends an alarm warning on my phone when my sugar goes low. I hear phones are allowed in the court rooms but must be turned off.

Any tips or advice for us diabetics? How often do they give breaks? Is lunch 30 mins or an hour? Can we take snacks, food or drinks in? Thanks
That would be a question for your specific courthouse. Was there a phone number on the summons to call for additional information or to ask questions? They most likely won’t allow anything that could make noise and be disruptive in the court room, but by the same token I am sure you are not the first insulin dependent diabetic to be called in, so I am sure they have procedures in place.

That would be a question for your specific courthouse. Was there a phone number on the summons to call for additional information or to ask questions? They most likely won’t allow anything that could make noise and be disruptive in the court room, but by the same token I am sure you are not the first insulin dependent diabetic to be called in, so I am sure they have procedures in place.
I should be fine as long as I have snacks on hand, water and hard candy. The website doesn’t have any info. I got a federal summons two years ago . Their website said they had microwave, vending machines, I think a sandwich shop and a place where you can sit and eat. I’ll take change, dollars and card. Hopefully they give two 10-15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch and I’ll be good

I should be fine as long as I have snacks on hand, water and hard candy. The website doesn’t have any info. I got a federal summons two years ago . Their website said they had microwave, vending machines, I think a sandwich shop and a place where you can sit and eat. I’ll take change, dollars and card. Hopefully they give two 10-15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch and I’ll be good
I don’t think you will have an issue outside of the court room. There have always been vending machines in the jury room and people eating and drinking all the time. It’s only in the court room where you may not get frequent breaks or access to snacks and drinks, especially if you are selected for a jury. I would still give them a call, just so you can be relaxed and prepared.

Jurors at our courthouse get at least an hour for lunch, usually closer to 90 minutes - 2 hours and then at least two 15 minute breaks.

I had this same thought as I'm also a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic with a Freestyle Libre sensor. I decided I was personally willing to be a test case if I needed to be. With a Freestyle 3 sensor applied and activated your phone is now a medical device. My choice was that I was going to put my phone in do not disturb, which only the Libre sensor can override. I was also going to bring in a small bag with glucose tabs and snacks. I do have an added advantage that in my state diabetes is protected as a disability. Ended up being a non-issue as I was released from jury duty without having to appear.

In response to a PPabout losing my off days for jury duty. If my boss wouldn’t have switched my days off I would have had to go to jury duty those 2 days and worked my regular5 days for the week.
I work in a hospital so get scheduled 5 out of 7 days.
So by him changing my off fays to working instead of working those 2 days I was at jury duty. Now I can get a letter from my dr because of my panic attacks with jury duty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter