Jussie Smollett's "Hate Crime"

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just lawyered up.

I liked him on Empire.

However, I don't agree with arrest. If he did this as a hoax. He should pay for the man hours spent on his investigation.
Then perhaps have to wear a big ol sign saying he is a lying liar that lies for a day in Chicago.
There is reportedly a Grand Jury now involved because filing a false police report is a felony in Illinois.

Filing a false report to police in the State of Illinois is considered an act of disorderly conduct, which is a Class 4 felony.

That means that anyone found guilty could face between one and three years in prison.

By law, the crime of disorderly conduct is committed in Illinois by anyone who 'transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to any peace officer, public officer or public employee a report to the effect that an offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed, knowing at the time of the transmission that there is no reasonable ground for believing that the offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed.'

Last week, a central Illinois man was sentenced to three years in state prison after he pleaded guilty to fabricating an Amber alert.

On December 15, Mitchell Dutz, 18, told police that three black men stole his car with a 13-month-old infant inside.

Dutz used a social media photo of a child he did not know to claim that there was a kidnapping, according to Peoria Journal Star.

But police rescinded the Amber alert after it became clear that it was a hoax.

Dutz pleaded guilty to motor-vehicle burglary and disorderly conduct.

Last month, a Chicago woman was charged with a felony after she allegedly made a 911 call that turned out to be a 'swatting' incident.

Keesha S. Ingram, 41, allegedly called police before dawn on December 11 to report that a man was threatening to shoot his wife in their home in Warren Township.

Sheriff's deputies responded to the call. They arrived at the scene and set up a perimeter around the house.

Illinois police have issued an arrest warrant for Keesha S. Ingram, 41, who has been charged with disorderly conduct for allegedly calling police and fabricating claims that a man was threatening to shoot his wife

After making contact with the residents inside, the deputies determined there was no incident to warrant an arrest, according to the Daily Herald.

Authorities then determined that they were dealing with a 'swatting' incident whereby a person falsely reports an ongoing crime at a particular address in order to harass the individual who lives there.

An investigation led back to Ingram, who is alleged to have known one of the people who lived in the Warren Township home.

Investigators believe Ingram made the swatting call out of revenge against the victim, whom she accused of not paying her money that was owed to her.

Ingram is still on the loose and is wanted for arrest, according to Patch.

I can’t speak for the national level, but at least in my area, there were people from across the broad political spectrum & all demographics who immediately questioned this story. Honestly, that’s how it caught my attention.

I can understand the initial rush to support and believe the victim, I did when I first heard this story. I assumed he was telling the truth.
However I'm just me and I don't have a public platform to use this (alleged) crime as a way to further an agenda, which I feel that certain politicians and celebrities did. And the media of course.
Now it seems when the story isn't fitting the narrative of that agenda nobody is willing to come out and say just how wrong it is and how it only deepens the divide in this country. Something they were quick to do when they thought it was a certain kind of person targeting a black gay man. Now they want to wait for all the facts to come in, when they should have before.

Well that's good to hear. Too many times the media runs with something and makes a mess of things. The media is the biggest reason why people almost WANT to believe that things happened in whichever way fits the narrative of that media source.

To be clear, the media was running the story as legit, but the comments on their social media pages were showing people from all walks of life questioning the validity of his story. And now that the story has flipped, there really aren’t any people digging in their heels to support him.

If this is a hoax there will have to be a price paid. In Michigan when an offender is sentenced for their crimes part of the wording of the sentencing is to the effect of, the protection of society, the discipline or punishment of the wrongdoer and the deterring of others from committing a like offense. Talking about a situation like this one really demonstrates why a sentence needs to be mindful of all of the objectives a sentence should serve.

If a defense team is now indeed onboard and they have the control typically given to high powered teams I'm waiting to see the beginning of the campaign to put out information that ostensibly mitigates potential liability wherever possible.

I am perplexed by the people that thought this thread should be closed.

And I am even more puzzled that someone "warned" Mrs. W to not read this thread.

Someone actually told a grown woman that she was too fragile to participate in an adult conversation. She was WARNED that she should not look at words on a discussion board, even when she clearly was participating.

It's all so strange.
That WAS bizarre.

Well that's good to hear. Too many times the media runs with something and makes a mess of things. The media is the biggest reason why people almost WANT to believe that things happened in whichever way fits the narrative of that media source.
Exactly!!!
I would like to see a return to strict Broadcast Licensing by the FCC with license removal as the hammer to prevent false, malicious, or harmful broadcasting.
Perhaps if faced with the loss of their source of income the people who command the networks would be more cautious as to the veracity of the stories that they report on.
Today broadcasters feel that they can say or do anything they please under the First Amendment, however the "Falsely cry fire in a crowded theater" court decisions still stand and all too often the disingenuous reporting by some news outlets has lead to crimes being committed by their easily aroused viewers.

He should pay the price for his crime like many others have before him, and not with just $$'s either. I'm a fairly trusting person and will usually trust/believe most people until that trust/belief is broken.
When people perpetuate a hoax, it also makes it harder for others to be believed that have legitimate crimes against them.
Was he that desperate for a few more moments of 'fame'??
The media just loves to pick up this type 'crime' and 'run with it'.

Rope supposedly purchased at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store? This keeps getting better and better. ::yes::

Fake noose?

Sorry, I don't recall if the rope was tied in a manner to resemble a noose. I do remember reading that he wasn't going to call the police, but left the rope around his neck anyway so that the police would see it when his manager convinced him to call the police 40 minutes later. :rolleyes:

I can’t speak for the national level, but at least in my area, there were people from across the broad political spectrum & all demographics who immediately questioned this story. Honestly, that’s how it caught my attention.

Even on a site like buzz feed, about half the posters were skeptical right off the bat, and within a few days those who were supporting him seemed to have developed a case of laryngitis.

I am perplexed by the people that thought this thread should be closed.

And I am even more puzzled that someone "warned" Mrs. W to not read this thread.

Someone actually told a grown woman that she was too fragile to participate in an adult conversation. She was WARNED that she should not look at words on a discussion board, even when she clearly was participating.

It's all so strange.

Wait what? Who is the person in charge? I need to make sure i have clearance to participate.

Exactly!!!
I would like to see a return to strict Broadcast Licensing by the FCC with license removal as the hammer to prevent false, malicious, or harmful broadcasting.
Perhaps if faced with the loss of their source of income the people who command the networks would be more cautious as to the veracity of the stories that they report on.
Today broadcasters feel that they can say or do anything they please under the First Amendment, however the "Falsely cry fire in a crowded theater" court decisions still stand and all too often the disingenuous reporting by some news outlets has lead to crimes being committed by their easily aroused viewers.

Do you think this should apply to stories about politician too?

Exactly!!!

Honestly I think a huge part of the problems with the media is simply a reliance on easy shortcuts due to lack of resources. Investigative journalism is expensive. Frighteningly it's becoming an increasingly rare thing these days. It's also somewhat due to the effects of social media. "Information" travels around at the speed of light. Unfortunately a lot of it is coming through garbled and distorted pipelines and the media is in a stampede to be there first with the news. Combine all of that and quite often it's not much more reliable than a game of telephone.

Honestly I think a huge part of the problems with the media is simply a reliance on easy shortcuts due to lack of resources. Investigative journalism is expensive. Frighteningly it's becoming an increasingly rare thing these days. It's also somewhat due to the effects of social media. "Information" travels around at the speed of light. Unfortunately a lot of it is coming through garbled and distorted pipelines and the media is in a stampede to be there first with the news. Combine all of that and quite often it's not much more reliable than a game of telephone.

Hear, hear. This is absolutely the issue; these days, when it comes down to a battle for corporate control between the money folks and the actual journalists, the journalists almost always lose. Like all of the rest of us, they have bills to pay, and the vast majority have to do what they are told to by the folks in the C-Suite if they want to stay employed. These days that often means lowering the standards they were taught in J-school.

Pulling licenses would accomplish absolutely NOTHING positive in this era of internet news. If anything, it would be ceding the last vestiges of quality control to the inmates of the asylum.

Full disclosure: I put my money where my mouth is by supporting the Poynter Institute.

Last edited:
Yep, first is better than correct.

The media ran with it because it fit their narrative and they couldn’t resist. The same with the Covington Catholic boys.

Isn't the media's only narrative to keep people tuned in? The only news media outlets I trust are at the top end of the y-axis on this chart shown on the following website. The "news" media outlets on the bottom 2/3 of this chart are absolute garbage.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/media-bias-chart-3-1-minor-updates-based-constructive-feedback/

Isn't the media's only narrative to keep people tuned in? The only news media outlets I trust are at the top end of the y-axis on this chart shown on the following website. The "news" media outlets on the bottom 2/3 of this chart are absolute garbage.

I would very stongly disagree with the placement of several 'news outlets' on this chart.
The absolute and uncontrolled bias committed by many so-called 'news outlets' is a very real concern.

If one does not believe that spreading a biased agenda is just as important to keeping viewers tuned in, on many news media outlets today... I would say that person would be sadly mistaken.

And, I think that most so called news outlets should have to show a mandatory disclaimer when any piece goes beyond what would be considered to be facts, and goes way off into biased commentary.

It is a very sad day when many, if not most, so called news outlets do not even report on the true facts that come out, sometimes even well after the facts become viral on social media.

This results in a situation where we see news and information coming from social media, instead of credible news outlets with any respect for the facts or the truth.

Last edited:
Reliance on shortcuts... lack of resources...
Really.... Really?????
Has one looked at their resources and budgets....

The only shortcuts I am seeing are those that result in rushes to judgement, and promotion of an obvious agenda.

Their ample resources seem to be very specifically allocated.

Lack of resources, absolutely. There are nowhere near the amount of newspapers in the U.S. as there were 25, 30 years ago. Among those that are left many are operating with significantly less journalists than they did -- numbers that shrink regularly. A hedge fund company with ownership in many, many newspapers across the country has recently made a bid to buyout Gannett Publishing, a company that produces many newspapers around the country. The hedge fund company has slashed seriously staffing levels at every publication it has already taken over. Really, like for REALZ, like ZOMG you can look it up on the Google and everything!!!!!!!!

I wasn't referring to some ridiculous, sound-bite, agenda baiting suggestions about major TV networks. I'm referring to actual, thoughtful, factual investigations of matters and situations that make things newsworthy to people who realize that a free and engaged press is vital to liberty and justice for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter