Jussie Smollett's "Hate Crime"

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I talk about mainstream news media outlets in the US, today, in the 21st century... Newspapers are not the biggies on my list.
NOTHING based on paper is making it.

That the problem. Most newspapers are quality journalism and I pay the subscription fees on 4 of them. Most television news is complete garbage. I refuse to for cable TV. Hundreds of channels of useless mind numbing useless swill.

Real civil rights leaders from the African American community agree. They realize the danger of a hoax like this. They've spoken out about it.

The reason I found the situation odd from the beginning is that he is successful. He has talent. He has(had) fans. It's not as if his being black or gay was exactly on the downlow. I still don't get the logic of someone in his position deciding this was a good idea. So destructive, for absolutely nothing, no upside, no benefit.
I don't agree with his logic, because I tend to be risk averse and think about 25 steps down the road of "what could go wrong." Even without the ethical issues, my brain would have put everything I stood to lose on one side, and all I stood to gain on the other. The risk of the hoax being exposed would have seemed so great to me, that I wouldn't have done it and risked what I had. But people aren't always good at realistically sizing up what could go wrong, and some tend to ignore reality altogether. Lots of criminals think they are MUCH smarter than they actually are. I'm pretty sure Smollett falls into that category.

I don't agree with his logic, because I tend to be risk averse and think about 25 steps down the road of "what could go wrong." Even without the ethical issues, my brain would have put everything I stood to lose on one side, and all I stood to gain on the other. The risk of the hoax being exposed would have seemed so great to me, that I wouldn't have done it and risked what I had. But people aren't always good at realistically sizing up what could go wrong, and some tend to ignore reality altogether. Lots of criminals think they are MUCH smarter than they actually are. I'm pretty sure Smollett falls into that category.

Up above someone else raised the issue of drugs. I hadn't considered that, but that wouldn't surprise me given the sheer stupidity of thinking something like this was a good idea. What stood out to me from the beginning was the fact that he was reported to be on the phone with his manager when this happened. A manager has their own interests factored into their services to their clients. I see people on a daily basis who do incredibly stupid and reckless things largely because they've allowed themselves to be swayed by associating with the wrong crowd. I'm not suggesting any of this absolves responsibility, but merely to explain how someone gets their head so twisted around.

I’m the one who said it should be closed based on how threads like this have gone in the past. This one has remained civil, which is refreshing. That’s why I decided to participate further, because it’s not at a banging head on wall stage.

I too am surprised that the discussion on this case has remained civil. Too many times in the past what started civilly went downhill quickly.

More than 48 hours after Chicago police have requested a follow-up interview with Smollett, the man who claims he's been 100% cooperative with authorities from the start has still declined their invitation.
I'm not defending him or convicting him, but I'd imagine he was instructed to not talk further with the police by his attorney. Under the circumstances, that is excellent advice.

This story didn't sit right with me from the very beginning. I am hoping he is held accountable for this hoax, but I am not sure that will happen. His team of lawyers is most likely concocting a story to make Jussie look as sympathetic as possible. Some of the possible scenarios (excuses) I can think of are alcohol and or drug, mental illness, childhood trauma.

I'm not defending him or convicting him, but I'd imagine he was instructed to not talk further with the police by his attorney. Under the circumstances, that is excellent advice.

True enough. But the police may not be so patient with him much longer.

The two brothers have stated they were hired by Smollet.

ABC evening news reported no more than 10 minutes ago that the brothers claim the attack was staged because the the threatening letter received the previous week hardly received any media attention.

More than 48 hours after Chicago police have requested a follow-up interview with Smollett, the man who claims he's been 100% cooperative with authorities from the start has still declined their invitation.

I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from this. Even if innocent, I would never speak to the police unless I was forced to. And I definitely wouldn’t do it without an attorney.

Even if innocent, I would never speak to the police unless I was forced to. And I definitely wouldn’t do it without an attorney.
There are so many examples of people getting sentenced for lying to the FBI. They are never tried or convicted for the crime they were being investigated, but do end up serving time for lying.

Only a fool speaks to law enforcement without an attorney.

There are so many examples of people getting sentenced for lying to the FBI. They are never tried or convicted for the crime they were being investigated, but do end up serving time for lying.

Only a fool speaks to law enforcement without an attorney.

I’ve had my adult boys watch this video. It’s long, but really helps make it clear why you should never speak to the police. It’s your right not to.

Totally uncalled for. Politics is not allowed here even in your roundabout way.

We can't and shouldn't talk about which news source is to the right or left on the x-axis. What is complete fair game is to discuss which "news" sources are the hi or low end of the y-axis. This is the root of all evil in our political discourse... The so called news sources that are on the bottom half of the y-axis. They are the problem. They exists on the conservative and liberal spectrum. They are all garbage and should carry heavy disclaimers to warn people they are not real news. At least garbage like the National Inquirer doesn't take it self too seriously and every one knows their stories are made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!