Just applied for my first apartment!

dosekies

DIS Veteran
So excited that fiance and I might be getting our first place together!

As this will be both of our first times moving out of our parents' houses (other than college), what are some things we will need that we may not think of?

Obviously plates, bowls, couch, etc., but are there any random things we might not think about?

Any places to buy cute, cheap decor?

Walmart can be a good place too. I've bought sheets from there and they're just fine.

Things you may not have thought of- dish rack, dish towels, can opener (manual in case the electric one breaks).

How much stuff do you have to start out with? You mentioned a couch so I'm thinking not too much.

Currently have a bed, a couch, making some tables/tv stand, TVs, and a few random kitchen items left over from my college apartment.

Vacuum (or broom/dustpan if you have hard floors), mixing bowls, cooking utensils, knives, cutting boards, measuring cups, dish towels, lamps, light bulbs, hangers... most of the kitchen stuff just depends on how you cook, and you likely have a lot of that already. It drove me nuts to not have a blender or slow cooker the first year I lived alone, ditto nice knives. The relief and joy of having kitchen knives that are long enough, instead of having to use a paring knife for everything, simply cannot be understated :laughing:

go for IKEA, Target (esp sales/clearance, lots of cute decor), maybe craigslist if you enjoy a good hunt. If there's an online listings board of sorts for a local college, you might check there as students leaving will need to offload all their furnishings. (Although now is probably not the right time for it as the semester's over, but maybe if there's a local university with summer sessions.)

Small tool bag- hammer nails, electrical tape, duct tape, picture hangers, pliers, wrench, screwdrivers Phillips and regular, flashlight. Not used daily, but handy to have around.

Congrats! I just moved into my own first apartment and neither myself nor my roommates had anything, so I'm still gathering things.

Some things I've noticed: bathroom stuff (shower curtain, bath mat, trash can, plunger, toilet brush), cleaning supplies, soap, lamps/lighting..

IKEA, Target, and Wal-Mart have been my go-to's. If you're looking for furniture you might want to see if there's an estate auction house in your area. I've been scouring thrift shops as well. There might be a local furniture selling group on FB.

Congrats!! I remember my first apartment so fondly :)

Flashlights are a definite, as well as LED nightnights! Also, a Swiffer & a great compact floor cleaner/vacuum.

Depending on the size of your apartment, you might consider getting 1 large or 2 small ottomans to use as a coffee table in your living area. They are such great & inexpensive furniture options because they serve so many purposes: comfy place to put your feet, hidden storage inside the ottoman, place to set your drink or food, easy to move around, they look cute, etc...

Sometimes you can find decent used furniture at local rummage sales, and used furniture stores. Even Salvation Army stores sometimes have used furniture.

I buy bed sheets and bath towels at places like Walmart, Meijer, and Target, for decent prices. Also bath rugs and shower curtains.

Not sure how much you cook but I didn't think of getting things like a potato masher, or a bottle opener. I also needed a good broom to sweep my place and a dust pan. It's kind of amazing when you have nothing you realize just how much you need,hehe

Exciting Times Ahead.
Pls b sure there's a smoke/carbon detector, batteries n flashlight and a small tool bag ( hammer n the like)
Consider a ReStore ( habitat for humanity), Target, Walmart, Costco for needed items.
Congrats n Good Luck!

That sounds very exciting, congratulations! Depending on the area, there might be some resale shops that have some cool stuff on the cheap. I will admit it, I love thrift shopping too. Also, TJ Maxx is great for finding cool stuff. Of course Hobby Lobby is like :eek:, I have to pretty much stay out of that store or I would be broke. There is WAY too much stuff in there I want :rotfl2:. As far as things you might need that you haven't thought of yet, there has been some good advice in this thread.

Congrats! I'm moving into my new house in August with my BF and I'm so excited! We've been thinking Ikea or John Lewis (British department store) for plates etc. I'm determined I want things to match. I found a really nice matching toaster and kettle on Amazon. So might be worth looking on there. Especially if you have Prime so free delivery :D

Ok, mine are on the planning side of things because most "stuff" has been covered.

If you haven't already, don't forget renter's insurance. It is not that expensive (which is a relative term I know...), about $100-$150 per year depending on options.

Map out your evacuation route from the unit in case of fire, etc. And if new to the area, evacuation routes in case of natural disaster.

On that note, an emergency preparedness kit. Good tips here: Emergency Supply List - FEMA (PDF)

If you are on an upper floor, look into purchasing one of those collapsible ladders you hang out of a window.

Congratulations...exciting time!!

---

Here are a few things off the top of my head that you might want to consider:

• renter's insurance
  • First Aid Kit: (tweezers, band-aids, Caladryl Clear, antacid, Bacitracin, Burn-Jel Neosporin, tape, non-stick pads, Day-Quil, Ny-Quil, thermometer, allergy meds, Tylenol, Motrin, ice packs, heating pad)
  • hangers
  • shower curtain and liner
  • cleaning supplies (toilet cleaner and brush, glass cleaner, dish detergent, Magic Eraser, microfiber cloths, vacuum, mop, garbage cans and bags, etc.)
  • toolbox (hammer, level, tape measure, screw driver, duct tape, nails, needle-nose pliers, utility knife, super glue, etc.)
  • over-the-door hangers for ironing board, ironing board, iron, laundry basket
  • sewing kit (thread, needles, tape measure, pins, scissors, Fray Check in a kit)
  • home supplies (batteries, light bulbs, extension cords, computer cables, etc.)
  • safety supplies (flashlight, candles, matches, sterno for heating food during power outages)
  • shoe/boot mat
  • Command hooks
  • a good pair of scissors
  • office supplies (tape, stamps, envelopes, sharpie marker, stapler or whatever you think you might need)
  • a good basic cookbook and some family recipes
  • Kitchen items (cutlery tray, spices and seasonings, can opener, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, kitchen shears, birthday candles and matches)
  • shelf liner for kitchen and bathroom cabinets
  • fire extinguisher
  • plunger with a bucket or tray to hold it
  • in some apartments you need to provide your own window coverings
  • holiday decorations (obviously not a necessity or needed for awhile)
  • file box or drawers for filing important paperwork
As for where to shop, I love stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, etc. for unique items that are generally good quality and reasonable prices. Costco has great prices on quality bedding, towels, and other home items.

Good luck! I wish you all the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter