Just Aulani?

FroggyRN

Earning My Ears
We are going to Aulani July 9th through the 16th, it's myself, hubby, and two daughters 13 and 7. We really don't have anything planned. We usually have our vacations jam packed with activities (and usually come home with a feeling of needing a vacation after vacation) and are looking at this one as a "chill vacation." We are DVC, so it's not like we don't plan on going back again. So, the question is, are we going to get bored? We plan on going to the cove, snorkeling, spending A LOT of time at the pool and have a cabana one day, have a dinner reservation for the character one one night, and that's really about it, although after looking at the daily IWA's that are up, some of the activities sound fun and we'll probably check some of those out. We have been to Hawaii before, though stayed in Wailea on Maui, and did something almost every day, did a luau, and I know there is a lot to explore on Oahu. Just want to get others thoughts, or how others that have done the same thing felt. Thanks!

We really enjoyed paddle boarding in their cove, so we highly recommend that. Your 7 year old daughter might like Aunty's Beach House. The family can tour it before it opens. We did that with our son to see if he would like it, which he did.

Outside of Aulani, Pearl Harbor is a really good experience. We enjoyed the drive to the North Shore and bumming around town up there for the day.

We will be there the week after you. I will second the suggestion of Pearl Harbor. Especially with the age of your daughters. My kids were about that age when we took them a few years ago and it was a very good experience for all of us. They still mention it. I know that I never get bored sitting at the beach in Hawaii, but my kids and husband definitely do, so I booked them on a dolphin snorkel cruise. It's a short excursion (3 or 4 hours) and it might be a good half day getaway that's easy for you and your crew. My parents are actually at the Four Seasons next door right now, and Wednesday they did this excursion that I have booked and really enjoyed it. I'll send a link if you'd like.

We will be there the week after you. I will second the suggestion of Pearl Harbor. Especially with the age of your daughters. My kids were about that age when we took them a few years ago and it was a very good experience for all of us. They still mention it. I know that I never get bored sitting at the beach in Hawaii, but my kids and husband definitely do, so I booked them on a dolphin snorkel cruise. It's a short excursion (3 or 4 hours) and it might be a good half day getaway that's easy for you and your crew. My parents are actually at the Four Seasons next door right now, and Wednesday they did this excursion that I have booked and really enjoyed it. I'll send a link if you'd like.

That would be great, if you don't mind! As for Pearl Harbor, Did you get your tickets ahead of time? Did you have a rental car? I did read where someone went super early in the morning and got an afternoon slot. How far is it from Aulani?

This is the company my parents did their snorkel cruise through, which I booked for July. I should add that they have a special afternoon cruise for Aulani guests only, but we opted for the morning dolphin sail.

https://www.hawaiinautical.com/

Definitely check out their options! We went early with a rental car to Pearl Harbor. This was a few years ago, so I would check more recent posts to see how hard it is to get tickets. We really weren't there all that early, maybe 8 am? and it worked fine for us. My parents will be doing a tour where they get picked up from the hotel. It's a guaranteed way to get tickets and they just wanted to relax and have someone else work out the details for them. I will post how they liked it and which one it is when they get back from it. I'm sure my mom will text a report :) (They're at the hotel next door, so the same tour would certainly work)

What's the loop?
drive backH1 to H2 to 99 and go past dole, haleiwa, turtle beach, waimea bay, shark cove, banzai pipeline, sunset beach, turtle bay, Polynesian cultural center, see where they filmed jurassic park and go back like like hwy.

Aulani is secluded inside Ko Olina and IMO, you can't appreciate Oahu until you get out of that tourist area. We had 6 nights at Aulani and did the spa, Kualoa Ranch which could be of interest to your kids at their ages, and also the North Shore which we loved. We also visited Kailua Beach, not super far from the Ranch, which was the most beautiful beach we saw while in Hawaii (in our opinions!). I also think the Waikiki area is worth a visit, if only for dinner and a stroll. We stayed in Waikiki for 3 nights before Aulani but enjoyed the atmosphere and action there, which made us appreciate how tranquil Aulani was. I'd also forewarn you that Aulani has very little nightlife. As two adults, we were a touch bored after dinner at times and often just had drinks and sat around. Planning some evening activities you can do off site once the pools close might be a good idea too.

We've been to Hawaii a few times and seen a lot, so when we planned our last Aulani vacation we decided to not leave the resort (except to walk around the immediate area) for the week we were there. We brought books and electronics to keep ourselves busy. We also lounged in front of the lagoon, ate at the restaurants/lounges, etc. (that's where our money went), had small snacks or take out in our room, shopped at the various gift shops (lost lots of money there too). The Aulani Hotel Tour, the recreation and community centre activities were also really great. Yoga on the beach in the morning was wonderful. It was very relaxing and we got into a vibe. We don't regret not leaving the resort area one bit.

We just went to PH yesterday from Aulani. It was about 45 minutes to an hour drive with morning rush hour. We arrived just at 7:00 a.m. The line for tickets was scary long, but it all worked out perfectly. Once they opened, the line moved quickly. We got tickets for the 9:15 tour, that was enough time to do the audio tour and see everything there was to see in the museum before it was our turn to watch the movie/board the boat.

That would be great, if you don't mind! As for Pearl Harbor, Did you get your tickets ahead of time? Did you have a rental car? I did read where someone went super early in the morning and got an afternoon slot. How far is it from Aulani?

We did PH (Arizona only) last week with our 13 and 15 year olds, and the 15yo appreciated it, but the 13yo just wanted to go back to Aulani! I booked our 9am tickets right when they became available 60 days ago, but the line for tickets didn't seem too bad when we arrived. There's plenty to do in the area if you end up with afternoon tickets.

As far as time at the resort, our kids claimed that they wanted to stay at Aulani all 4 days and never leave, but then after a couple of hours at the pool they wanted to go chill in the room. We like to swim right at 8 when the pools/lazy river/slides open, leave for a few hours during lunch, then eat dinner nearby or at Aulani, and swim again around 6:30 until the pools close at 8.

Our first day at Aulani we just stayed at the resort. Then we did PH one day, hiked up Diamond Head another day, and did the loop around the North Shore and east side on our departure day. Worked out great for us!

Go to the Mahalo Member thing on Mon morning (sign up when you arrive) and you'll get yummy pastries and free DVC member hats!

We did a day at PCC and some time exploring the island. You could stay 100% at rhe resort but there are lots of cool things to do close by..

We've been to Hawaii a few times and seen a lot, so when we planned our last Aulani vacation we decided to not leave the resort (except to walk around the immediate area) for the week we were there. We brought books and electronics to keep ourselves busy. We also lounged in front of the lagoon, ate at the restaurants/lounges, etc. (that's where our money went), had small snacks or take out in our room, shopped at the various gift shops (lost lots of money there too). The Aulani Hotel Tour, the recreation and community centre activities were also really great. Yoga on the beach in the morning was wonderful. It was very relaxing and we got into a vibe. We don't regret not leaving the resort area one bit.

Thank you for first hand experience! Kinda looking forward to not having any plans!

We are going to Aulani July 9th through the 16th, it's myself, hubby, and two daughters 13 and 7. We really don't have anything planned. We usually have our vacations jam packed with activities (and usually come home with a feeling of needing a vacation after vacation) and are looking at this one as a "chill vacation." We are DVC, so it's not like we don't plan on going back again. So, the question is, are we going to get bored? We plan on going to the cove, snorkeling, spending A LOT of time at the pool and have a cabana one day, have a dinner reservation for the character one one night, and that's really about it, although after looking at the daily IWA's that are up, some of the activities sound fun and we'll probably check some of those out. We have been to Hawaii before, though stayed in Wailea on Maui, and did something almost every day, did a luau, and I know there is a lot to explore on Oahu. Just want to get others thoughts, or how others that have done the same thing felt. Thanks!

My wife and I have been 3 times. 1st for 21 nights (honeymoon), then 14 nights and then 16 nights. We've done a mix of exploring the island and just chilling at Aulani for long durations. We've found both to be enjoyable. I don't know that you guys will necessarily get bored just staying at Aulani, but You may miss out on some other pretty cool stuff around the island. It really all depends what you want though. You can still do things around the island and have it be chill. We really enjoyed just taking rides up to the North Shore and hiking up there at Waimea Falls. Or Pillboxes hike on the Windward side (although this may be tougher with a 7 year old. Depends on her). We loved finding spots along the North Shore to stop and snorkel like Sharks Cove (not as bad as it sounds! lol). Or even just heading up to the North Shore and then driving all the way around the island and taking in the sights. We made a conscious effort to avoid overly scheduled or planned things. Didn't wanna get too "touristy" with it. The 1 thing we did do that was like that was Pearl Harbor. I would recommend that even if you do decide to stay at Aulani for the duration, make time to at least go see Pearl Harbor.

Some tips if you do stay on Aulani property the whole time:

1) If you plan on snorkeling, stop at the target that's 5 minutes away and buy your own gear. It's well worth it. Much more comfortable and significantly clearer than the equipment available for rental at Aulani.

2) While at Target, buy any groceries you may want for the room there. There's an ABC Market across the street from Aulani in Ko Olina, but it is significantly more expensive than Target and that can definitely add up.

3) Breakfast at AMA AMA. I can't recommend this strongly enough! We ate here almost every morning lol the food is great and the views are unbeatable! Awesome way to start the day. Lunch and dinner at AMA AMA are also very good, but the breakfast is by far our favorite!

4) Dinner at MonkeyPod Kitchen across the street from Aulani. Great food, great drinks and live music. Request to sit outside if possible. Great views of the sunset in the distance at the right times also. Roy's Ko Olina is also a very nice restaurant (in Ko Olina Golf Club). We really enjoyed our meal here. MonkeyPod by far is our favorite though! AMA AMA for breakfast, lunch at the beach and MonkeyPod for dinner is our perfect day there!

5) The cabanas are awesome, but check out the Casabellas also! Right on the beach and a fraction of the price ($40/day). Comfort, convenience and some much needed shade whenever you want it! Granted you guys have 4 and we only had 2, but they also will pull up beach chairs to it as well for you, so you could definitely make it work! It's also great because it's yours for the day (8am-5pm) and you can come and go as you please without worrying about losing your chairs (the chair policy there allows them to move your stuff if you leave it unattended for an hour or more). Also, they usually continue food/drink service for the Casabellas even if they aren't doing it for the entire beach that day. A huge plus when you don't feel like moving out of that comfy lounger lol My wife and I enjoyed them so much that we ended up getting 1 nearly everyday we were there despite the cost. We found them to be well worth it!

6) There's not a whole lot to do at night, so try planning your days accordingly. Ex: beach/pool all day, watch the sunset and then do dinner after so it's a little bit later. Our 1st few nights we found ourselves getting bored very early bc we'd eat too early and then have nothing to do once the pools and what not were closed. This is where a later dinner and some of the live music comes in handy. Maybe some games to play in the room at night also. It's very much an early awake and early asleep style, but you get used to it.

7) Walk along the rocks (especially for sunsets) and explore the other lagoons. The rocks to the right (towards Paradise Cove) are especially fun. Some tide pools, sea turtles, fish etc... Simple, but enjoyable!

8) I wish you guys could make time for Laniwai Spa. It's amazing. The facilities are beautiful and incredibly relaxing even without the massage.

I'm trying to think of more stuff.... if you think of anymore specific questions please ask! In the meantime I'll try to keep thinking of anything else I can think of.

My wife and I have been 3 times. 1st for 21 nights (honeymoon), then 14 nights and then 16 nights. We've done a mix of exploring the island and just chilling at Aulani for long durations. We've found both to be enjoyable. I don't know that you guys will necessarily get bored just staying at Aulani, but You may miss out on some other pretty cool stuff around the island. It really all depends what you want though. You can still do things around the island and have it be chill. We really enjoyed just taking rides up to the North Shore and hiking up there at Waimea Falls. Or Pillboxes hike on the Windward side (although this may be tougher with a 7 year old. Depends on her). We loved finding spots along the North Shore to stop and snorkel like Sharks Cove (not as bad as it sounds! lol). Or even just heading up to the North Shore and then driving all the way around the island and taking in the sights. We made a conscious effort to avoid overly scheduled or planned things. Didn't wanna get too "touristy" with it. The 1 thing we did do that was like that was Pearl Harbor. I would recommend that even if you do decide to stay at Aulani for the duration, make time to at least go see Pearl Harbor.

Some tips if you do stay on Aulani property the whole time:

1) If you plan on snorkeling, stop at the target that's 5 minutes away and buy your own gear. It's well worth it. Much more comfortable and significantly clearer than the equipment available for rental at Aulani.

2) While at Target, buy any groceries you may want for the room there. There's an ABC Market across the street from Aulani in Ko Olina, but it is significantly more expensive than Target and that can definitely add up.

3) Breakfast at AMA AMA. I can't recommend this strongly enough! We ate here almost every morning lol the food is great and the views are unbeatable! Awesome way to start the day. Lunch and dinner at AMA AMA are also very good, but the breakfast is by far our favorite!

4) Dinner at MonkeyPod Kitchen across the street from Aulani. Great food, great drinks and live music. Request to sit outside if possible. Great views of the sunset in the distance at the right times also. Roy's Ko Olina is also a very nice restaurant (in Ko Olina Golf Club). We really enjoyed our meal here. MonkeyPod by far is our favorite though! AMA AMA for breakfast, lunch at the beach and MonkeyPod for dinner is our perfect day there!

5) The cabanas are awesome, but check out the Casabellas also! Right on the beach and a fraction of the price ($40/day). Comfort, convenience and some much needed shade whenever you want it! Granted you guys have 4 and we only had 2, but they also will pull up beach chairs to it as well for you, so you could definitely make it work! It's also great because it's yours for the day (8am-5pm) and you can come and go as you please without worrying about losing your chairs (the chair policy there allows them to move your stuff if you leave it unattended for an hour or more). Also, they usually continue food/drink service for the Casabellas even if they aren't doing it for the entire beach that day. A huge plus when you don't feel like moving out of that comfy lounger lol My wife and I enjoyed them so much that we ended up getting 1 nearly everyday we were there despite the cost. We found them to be well worth it!

6) There's not a whole lot to do at night, so try planning your days accordingly. Ex: beach/pool all day, watch the sunset and then do dinner after so it's a little bit later. Our 1st few nights we found ourselves getting bored very early bc we'd eat too early and then have nothing to do once the pools and what not were closed. This is where a later dinner and some of the live music comes in handy. Maybe some games to play in the room at night also. It's very much an early awake and early asleep style, but you get used to it.

7) Walk along the rocks (especially for sunsets) and explore the other lagoons. The rocks to the right (towards Paradise Cove) are especially fun. Some tide pools, sea turtles, fish etc... Simple, but enjoyable!

8) I wish you guys could make time for Laniwai Spa. It's amazing. The facilities are beautiful and incredibly relaxing even without the massage.

I'm trying to think of more stuff.... if you think of anymore specific questions please ask! In the meantime I'll try to keep thinking of anything else I can think of.

Thank you so, so much! You gave me a lot of great things to think about and include! :)

We just returned from our 3rd trip to Aulani. My daughter is 14. We did a day trip to Waikiki and did an outrigger canoe ride and a catamaran sail. Both were great and I got recommendations from this board. Your girls would love and we did the canoe ride with a family with 2 younger boys. We booked through Faiths Surf School and did the Catamaran sail through Maitai Catamaran. We used a groupon that everyone said to get. It was both beautiful and a lot of fun.

Did Kualoa Ranch another day. Road a horse for the first time in my life. After I got over my fear it was a lot of fun. The scenery was beautiful. Did a catamaran sail there as well and compared to our Waikiki one, we were totally disappointed and ready to move on for the day. We left there and went down to Kailua Beach. I agree about it and Lanikai which is about 5 minutes away as being the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. We spent 3 hours just enjoying it even though we didn't get there until later in the day. Last year we had gone to Lanikai and went in the morning. Kailua has a large parking lot and Lanikai you have to park along the side of the street in a neighborhood. Both equally as beautiful.

My daughter loves the swap meet and gets all her souvenirs for friends there. I think Wed/Sat/Sun. Our first trip we did Pearl Harbor first and the swap meet after. There wasn't much in the way of food so eat before and bring yourself water. It is hot walking around in there.

We love walking over to Paradise Cove to the lagoon. We spent 2 different afternoons over there with both times seeing turtles swimming around. Our first trip we also saw a monk seal there.

We have gone up to the north shore all 3 years as well but honestly it is my least favorite. We stop at Dole Plantation for a dole whip and then Matsumotos for shaved ice and shrimp trucks.

Most days we honestly just couldn't figure out where the day went. It was 9am and then it was 4 in the afternoon. We would alternate betweeen the lazy river, pools, hot tubs and beach. We did the character dinner one night as well. It was fun and the food was good. Have a great time.

One thing I forgot to add. Since we have gone 2 previous years we knew about the family or "ohana" hula lessons and lei making. Both previous trips we did it twice each trip. We had been there for a week and neither was never listed. I asked in the community hall (can't remember the Hawaiian name for it) and the girl said they hadn't been doing it as much. Then I said that we were also interested in lei making and hadn't seen that listed either and the girl was a little embarrassed and asked if my daughter would like to make a lei and went into the back and brought us out a huge bag of flowers, strings and needles. I said I didn't need that much but we did it a few times (kept flowers in the refrigerator) and I passed the rest onto a little girl and mom who were watching us do it. (We took it out on the grassy area where people watch the sunsets.) It seems they are now saving both activities for families who book the luau there and the smaller kids can do it in Aunties. I have nothing bad to say about Aulani as it is my favorite place in the world but hula lessons and lei making were 2 activities my daughter loved doing each year and kind of sad you can't do it as a family anymore. However they more than compensated with all our flowers. So my point is, just ask if it is somthing your girls may enjoy. Again, not saying anything bad about Aulani. It is my happy place!

One thing I forgot to add. Since we have gone 2 previous years we knew about the family or "ohana" hula lessons and lei making. Both previous trips we did it twice each trip. We had been there for a week and neither was never listed. I asked in the community hall (can't remember the Hawaiian name for it) and the girl said they hadn't been doing it as much. Then I said that we were also interested in lei making and hadn't seen that listed either and the girl was a little embarrassed and asked if my daughter would like to make a lei and went into the back and brought us out a huge bag of flowers, strings and needles. I said I didn't need that much but we did it a few times (kept flowers in the refrigerator) and I passed the rest onto a little girl and mom who were watching us do it. (We took it out on the grassy area where people watch the sunsets.) It seems they are now saving both activities for families who book the luau there and the smaller kids can do it in Aunties. I have nothing bad to say about Aulani as it is my favorite place in the world but hula lessons and lei making were 2 activities my daughter loved doing each year and kind of sad you can't do it as a family anymore. However they more than compensated with all our flowers. So my point is, just ask if it is somthing your girls may enjoy. Again, not saying anything bad about Aulani. It is my happy place!
Thanks so much for the info! I will definitely ask! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter