Just Back - 6/24-6/27: Magical Moments

GPC0321

DIS Veteran
Just got in about midnight last night from a quick trip down with a good friend for a "girls' getaway". Stayed at Kidani for the first time and just did two park days at Epcot (6/25) and MK (6/26). It was hot, there were thunderstorms/rain daily, and it was crowded...especially noticeable at MK. But despite the heat, rain/storms, and crowds, there were some truly magical moments that I wanted to share before I forget them. Let me just say first that we hit it hard on our two park days, rope drop til closing at both. I'd never done that before, and there were times, especially the MK day, that we were tired, but it was still so fun and so worth it. We utilized FP+ heavily as well. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything, and most things were much, much less than that. Okay, so magical moments:

1. Rope dropped Soarin' and it was the first time for both of us riding it. So fun! Great way to start the day at Epcot!
2. Ate at La Cantina de San Angel (Mexico's quick service) and thought the food was really delicious, plus we scored a great table by the water with a breeze blowing. Really nice!
3. Caught Voices of Liberty and were sitting front row on the floor. I got to be "Susanna" when they did "Oh, Susanna!" which basically means the singer got down on one knee and held my hand while he serenaded me, then "kissed" my hand (his hand) and when we went to leave, he pretended that I yanked him back and wouldn't let him go, LOL. Then one of the other singers says, "Ma'am please! We need him back!" It was very cute.
4. While looking for seats to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy concert (America pavillion in the covered theater where Candlelight is done), we settle on some not-so-great seats, but it's really crowded so we're just happy to have a seat at all. A cast member comes over and says, "I noticed you looking for better seats, come with me." He takes us to a place that's roped off and says "Reserved" and ushers us in, removes the rope and we are suddenly in just about the best seats in the place right at the end of a little runway portion of the state that juts out into the audience. A nice bit of pixie dust! Cool concert too!
5. Dinner at Via Napoli. First time eating there and YUM! Got the Quattro Formaggi pizza and it was so delicious! Wonderful server too, I think his name was Antonio. Great experience!
6. IllumiNations with FP+ ended the night and it was as lovely as always.
7. Okay, this is the biggest accomplishment so far of my Disney World efforts....we were THE VERY FIRST PEOPLE in line at the security check-point from the buses at Magic Kingdom on Tuesday morning. The security cast members were like, "We're not open yet," and I said, "I know, we want to be first!" He laughed and said, "Well, you are definitely first!" It was probably 6:45am, LOL!
8. Got onto Main Street USA by 7:15am, and seeing MK so pristine was breathtaking. We made it to the hub and cast members had to come push us back because they said they weren't quite ready for us. Turns out, they were training either a human or equine (I'm thinking it was the human) as they were driving one of the big, black Percheron horses with just his harness very slowly down the trolley path. There were three people, one driving him, one leading him, and one giving instructions to the one driving. It was neat to see.
9. Were pretty much at the front of the mob heading to Mine Train, and got back there and rode it. Again, first time, and it was so much fun! Loved it!
10. Grabbed a quick breakfast after doing a couple of rides, and took it up to the outside bench at the train station to eat and watch the hustle and bustle of Main Street (already very crowded). We were the only ones up there, and we saw Mary Poppins strolling around greeting people in Town Square. Next thing we knew, she came up the steps and walked over and struck up a conversation with us. Asked us where we were heading next and we told her Frontierland. She said to watch out for the bears because they don't often mind their manners. She shook our hands and then went on her way. It was so cool! We had her all to ourselves. Even cooler since she's one of my favorite characters of all time! My idol, LOL!
11. A word about the eats in MK that day. Columbia Harbor House for lunch was great, and Pecos Bill's for dinner was also great! I had done CHH before, but never Pecos Bill's and I really liked it!
12. Miraculously, despite huge rain/thunderstorms literally surrounding WDW and closing in, dark clouds, lightning, thunder, Happily Ever After still went off. We went to the garden spot in front of Casey's about an hour prior and just sat/laid on the "grass" which was actually nice. It filled in as showtime got closer, but when it started, the people directly in front of us all pressed up close to the front of the area and we had a perfect, unobstructed view with a good ten feet of empty space between us and the people in front of us! Nice!
13. Rode a few more rides after HEA (Jungle Cruise, Buzz, PeopleMover for a 2nd time). It was raining by then, but the ponchos did their job and we had fun. Stopped by the Confectionary for a quick snack before leaving, and when we came out, the "Kiss Goodnight" was happening. We stood in the middle of Main Street and watched it (me with a lump in my throat), and then headed to the bus stop...where our bus happened to just be arriving and we walked right on, got a seat and went back to the resort. Honestly, it doesn't get much better than that.

Now to start planning for next summer!

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation! Makes me even more excited for our trip in October! Thanks for sharing :)

Sounds like a great trip. That is so cool about Mary Poppins! Glad you had fun.

What a great trip! Sounds like you did so much in a short time!
We really did! I made a list below of rides, meals, shows, etc. in the order that we did them each day...
Epcot Day:
  1. Rope dropped Soarin'
  2. Breakfast at Sunshine Seasons
  3. Living with the Land (FP+)
  4. Test Track (FP+)
  5. Spaceship Earth (FP+)
  6. Journey Into Imagination (FP+)
  7. Pixar Shorts (FP+)
  8. The Seas with Nemo and Friends (FP+)
  9. Lunch at La Cantina de San Angel
  10. La Gran Fiesta boat ride in Mexico pavilion
  11. Reflections of China movie
  12. American Adventure show
  13. Voices of Liberty
  14. Impressions du France movie
  15. Snack from Les Artisans de Glaces
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy concert
  17. The British Revolution concert in UK pavilion
  18. Dinner at Via Napoli
  19. IllumiNations (FP+)
MK Day:
  1. Rope dropped Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  2. Peter Pan's Flight
  3. Breakfast from Main Street Bakery (eaten at train station with visit from Mary Poppins)
  4. Big Thunder Mountain (FP+)
  5. Country Bear Jamboree
  6. Splash Mountain (FP+)
  7. Enchanted Tiki Room
  8. Pirates of the Caribbean (FP+)
  9. Mickey's Philharmagic
  10. Haunted Mansion (FP+)
  11. Lunch at Columbia Harbor House
  12. It's a Small World (FP+)
  13. PeopleMover
  14. Carousel of Progress
  15. Train ride all the way around (Main St. to Main St.)
  16. Snack at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
  17. Took a break - boat to Grand Floridian to look around and enjoy the lobby
  18. Monorail back to MK in massive thunderstorm
  19. Under the Sea (FP+)
  20. Winnie the Pooh (FP+)
  21. Dinner at Pecos Bill's
  22. Got spot for Happily Ever After and lounged on the "grass" for an hour
  23. Happily Ever After
  24. Jungle Cruise
  25. PeopleMover (again)
  26. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
  27. Snack from Confectionary
  28. "Kiss Goodnight"
  29. Back to resort
Very productive two days!

It sounds like the most magical and perfect trip ever! Thank you for sharing!

Hi, thanks for the trip report! I was wondering if you can clarify whether you watched HEA from the grassy area in front of Casey’s with the railings around it? I though that area was now for the club level special FP people, just wondering if part of it is still open for general admission. Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!