Just back and Wow, what Happened to Disney World

toontoy

Mouseketeer
Well I am Happy to say that we Survived our Disney World Vacation. That was the saying my wife and I kept saying to each other today. Realizing we overspent and regretted our trip.

A Little Back History, we had the chance last year to go to Disneyland and then this year my family was going in May so we decided to go with them and keep our September trip. That is where I regretted most things. We should have cancelled Disney World. Seeing the quality Differences between the resorts was staggering. We had a relaxed very fun filled 5 days in Disneyland and our 2 year old had the time of her life. We saw parades, rode rides, swam in the pool, relaxed, and we even had the chance to change our plans once we arrived. This is where Disney world was so hard with a toddler. We had to plan our vacation out what seemed a year in advance almost. Dinning booked 180+ out, Fast passes 60+ days out. Fun was supposed to be upon arrival.

Well everything seemed ok on paper, we just had such a structured time that we didnt have time to enjoy the parks. With a toddler I needed to make some changes to plans, and that was nearly impossible. The App never worked. I had to use the web browser that kinda worked to change some fastpasses around. Crowds werent terrible but we ran into 4 rides a day it seemed where 10 min waits were really 25-40 min. We went to visit Rapunzel and Tiana in what was posted a 10 min wait and spent over 45 min with a toddler. That was fun and to top it off rhis made us 15 min late for our peter pan fastpass and we were told sorry, I didnt accept that and they let us on but arguing with staff isnt something I wanted to do after spending a bundle at Disney for a week. All in all this was repeated many days, Slinky dog, Mine Train, Frozen ever after and so on. It was non stop challenges and fun. The dining plan didnt work our first day either. That should have been the sign to get out while we were ahead. I used to be the biggest Disney Fan and now I am like well this trip saved me so much money, next years trip cancelled. 50th trip cancelled. Disney cruise Cancelled. We usually take 2 vacations a year and for the first time in 5 years this is the first I regret.

We booked a stay at Saratoga Springs through our hilton vacation Club and purchased the dining plan and park tickets. All in all we wished we just skipped Disney World or maybe just 2 days at the Magic Kingdom and skipped the Halloween Party and Dining.

We haven't really done disney fir a while and thought this would be fun. Just not for us.

Last edited:
I am confused. I know that DLR and WDW are two entirely different animals, but if you know that a timed trip is not your thing, why run with that? In almost 15 years I have never planned a trip that was really more than park days, ADR's that are convenient to those plans, and now 3 FP per day. Had you been to WDW before, or are you a DLR vet, and used that timeing as your framework?

I sympathize with your problems with the App, I heard this past week was a mess, however it seems like you disliked every aspect of your vacation, beginning with the monetary difference in resort prices, and it went south from there. I tell folks that the minute they resent to cost of a vacation, back out. It is not going to go well after that because every glitch, and there will be glitches, will reinforce the cost of the trip, and magnify any dissatisfaction.

I’m also confused... you’re a dvc member and say you’ve taken 2 vacations a year for the past 5 years. Nothing that you’re complaining about is really a change from 5 years ago.
We are not part of DVC. We own with Hilton and traded in

You lost me after you argued with the CM to let you on after your expired FP window.
Well a 10 min wait went very long causing us to be late. That is why I argued it wasn't my fault. 10 min was really 45. I kept checking the time as it crept on and on and cast members said we were almost there and this would be ok

Curious why you canceled Disney Cruise. You do love Disneyland even if wdw isn’t for you. Cruise is a wholly different experience.
Just not sure If it's worth the cost. We went to Disneyland this year and last and will prob return in 5 years to d in Disneyland. Just not wanting to pay a premium for a mediocre product

We’ve been to Disney World many times and recently made a trip to Disneyland. With only 2 parks at DL we left feeling like we had accomplished all we wanted to do and had some relaxing time as well. The same length of trip at WDW sometimes leaves me with the feeling that there was so much I didn’t get done and no time for relaxing. I love them both and realize that there’s just so much to do and see at WDW that I have to really watch my expectations.

The things is with the cost that was for just tickets and food. Lodging and flights was not included. I did remove that
Surely when you go on any holiday to a theme park you're aware that park entries and food is going to cost alot. It costs alot in Disneyland as well.

I have been to both although not in a few years and I really don't think there's any possible way to compare Disneyland to WDW. Disneyland has only two parks one of which took us 3 days to see everything in it was so spread out. WDW is HUGE, has more parks and is usually crowded so I would not go there expecting that I was going to get on everything or see everything I wanted to. Even without fastpasses in place you have to pick and choose what you what to see unless you've got the luxury of going for a 3-4 weeks because I don't think it's possible to get the entire thing done in a few days. I also wouldn't expect to be able to walk on to any ride in a theme park. I think if you got 10 minute wait times you were extremely lucky because the best I've ever seen in WDW was 20-25 minutes.

Toontoy,
I totally understand what you are talking about.
WDW has become very expensive, not just a bit over what a person would expect to spend.
In past years there was much better value to our vacation dollars.
Now, everything costs lots of money and we get much less for it.
The big waits in line for rides were supposedly taken care of by FP. Not any more the waits are not that much different.
There are less CM working so the waits are long for everything, the parks are so crowded that it appears to be a safety issue (the mobs are incredible) and now any little thing extra costs more money. The pay for extra time in a park is a good example. Everything has become manic to enjoy a decent time in the parks, too overscheduled.

It will peak out but as long as Disney is filling the parks (at a dangerous level) they will continue.
Very sad and really not the great fun it used to be.
Try to have fun.....:flower1:

We are not part of DVC. We own with Hilton and traded in

So this was a first trip to WDW? Well, in regards to food costs, it is easy to research that, and I always do, even after all the trips I have taken, I do not like to fly blind, so to speak. Resorts are pricy, however you could have chosen to stay at the Hilton resort that is nearby, and your value might have been more equitable.

My DDIL is a DLR vet, and she really cannot absorb the differences, not in space travel, parks sizes, and transportation. When I saw her touring plan I almost fainted, there was no way she could manage all she wanted to do in the timeframe she had alloted. It really is not the same experience.

ToonToy, Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. You are not the only one seeing the decrease in quality and the increase in expense and aggravation. There has been a fundamental downward shift in what Disney is willing to provide for people who vacation at Walt Disney World. Gone are the days of the "Disney Difference". I guess we'll just have to see if these dark days are permanent or if Disney will come back to it's core values and stop making stock profits the entire focus of the company.

~NM

Op
Thank you for taking the time to post and your experiences... that made you feel disappointed etc.
I hope that some of the positive moments outweigh the blips and become the good memories ... as you look back on the trip in the future.
Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion
As to their own “take” on their trip..
I’m sure you know...Take the digs with a grain of salt, lol.
Sorry ur visit was less than stellar in ur eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter