Just Back (Dec 3-11). Refreshing for 7 & HS FP Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

JETSDAD

DIS Veteran
Just got back from another great trip. I was nervous going into this one because I rely heavily on refreshing for FP's night before and day of but normally for only 3 people....this trip was 7 people so I didn't know what to expect. Here are some pointers from my trip.

Absolutely break it up into groups of 3 & 4 when refreshing and go for overlapping times when looking for anything popular. Stuff like Dumbo just look for 7, it will be fine. I usually work on the group of 4 first as it will be a bit more difficult and then do the group of 3 to match/overlap.

Will this work for rides such as FOP & SDD? YES! I had the start of the days all nicely laid out with FP's selected and AK planned for 2 days near the end of the trip. After 2 days everyone decided they wanted to do AK the next day! My heart kind of sank a bit knowing that FOP would be the highlight and assuming the odds would be low. That night I was able to get overlapping FP's for the 7 of us for an AM time slot for FOP. One of the things I personally wanted to do this trip was ride SDD at night but of course I was not willing to hold up an entire day of refreshing for 1 evening FP. During the rain one afternoon I managed to get SDD for that night for the 7 of us. The only ride that I didn't look to add day of was 7DMT because we did it once standby right before our MVMCP night and everyone preferred other rides. All other rides we were able to add with reasonably short waits (sometimes we would just go watch a show or grab a snack to fill some time).

It does take more patience and more flexibility than refreshing for a smaller group but it does work.

Now to the Hollywood Studios FP drops. I posted about it a few weeks ago but kind of tucked it away into another thread....didn't want to jinx it for my trip. It is something I watched for weeks leading up to my trip and now can say that for at least 5+ weeks it has worked including during my trip. Every day that I have checked I have noticed 2 FP drops for HS for all of the TSL rides. Same times every day. At 9:31AM it opens up a lot of FP times for all TSL rides including SDD for FP's between 11-12 (start times). At 2:31PM it drops FP's for TSL for 4-5. We used these drops both times one day for SDD. Again we broke it up into 3/4 because I didn't want to risk it not working on a larger group so I do not know how well it works for groups larger than 4. I watched again this morning at 9:31 and it worked. To note, if SDD is down in the morning there is a chance it might not be included in the FP drop (noticed this 1 time a couple of weeks ago). I also do not guarantee this will continue to work but it has been consistent and it did work for us.

I just wanted to post because I do tend to promote refreshing as a great way to plan a trip but also know that many groups are larger than my normal group.

Thanks for posting this. Normally my trips are just me and my son, but this June my brother's family is going with us and there will be 7 of us. I've been a little anxious wondering how the fp refresh strategy would work for us. Thanks for the tips.

Another tip is that when rides go down due to a storm try adding FP's for the easiest to get ride for the group. Get that FP for a close time and it will likely convert to an anytime FP. Those anytime FP's are so valuable for a larger group. Do this multiple times if you can during the storm.

Thanks to your tip about looking for the HS FP drops day of, my group of 4 were able to get SDD during our trip (12/6 - 12/9). It worked perfectly. Kind of felt like winning the lottery, the FP lottery anyway!

Every day that I have checked I have noticed 2 FP drops for HS for all of the TSL rides. Same times every day. At 9:31AM it opens up a lot of FP times for all TSL rides including SDD for FP's between 11-12 (start times). At 2:31PM it drops FP's for TSL for 4-5. We used these drops both times one day for SDD.
Wow, that's wild! Is this just for same-day FP?

I am out of the loop, what is the refreshing strategy? How do you do this?

Refreshing for FP's is just the process of checking over and over, especially day of, for FP's. People change their plans all the time and the pool of available FP's is therefore also constantly changing. By checking over and over (sometimes for only a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes longer) you hope to be able to catch the FP or time that you are wanting as it is dropped by someone else. With an Android device using the app you would just keep hitting the same time over and over....with iPhone you would switch between times.

Thanks for reviewing the refreshing for a large group. Mom and I went last year and refresh worked slick. I'm going next year with a group of 7. Luckily most of the group will not want to ride the big ticket rides like FOP, SDD, SDMT, or the Mountains. But like Peter Pan is going to be a draw, along with Soarin, Star Tours and probably Test Track. Hoping for the refresh to work well...we do have a diverse group so splitting the group into 4 and 3 could work really well.

Another thing would be to have a few people in your group help with searching. I only did this for the TSL FP drops as they can go quickly (my wife grabbed 3, I grabbed 4) but the more people you have looking the better your odds. I had my brother's family and they had only done 1 day at MK in the past so I wanted them to simply enjoy going ride to ride without thinking about refreshing....in the future they would be able to help more.

I tried this during my trip in November with no luck. Glad it worked for you though. The other thing that I found was that I was disappointed in myself being on the phone so much looking for the next thing. The refresh strategy takes A LOT of time and I was missing what was happening at the moment.

I tried this during my trip in November with no luck. Glad it worked for you though. The other thing that I found was that I was disappointed in myself being on the phone so much looking for the next thing. The refresh strategy takes A LOT of time and I was missing what was happening at the moment.

The majority of FP's that I get refreshing during the day take under 5 minutes to find. I typically get that while walking through the queue of the ride that we're doing or while we eat. Rides such as FOP can take longer. I still carry on conversations and for the most part my phone is in my pocket. A few minutes on the phone is much better than hours in line waiting.

The majority of FP's that I get refreshing during the day take under 5 minutes to find. I typically get that while walking through the queue of the ride that we're doing or while we eat. Rides such as FOP can take longer. I still carry on conversations and for the most part my phone is in my pocket. A few minutes on the phone is much better than hours in line waiting.

Again, I'm glad it worked for you, but that was not my experience.

Hi. Thanks for the information about the HS TSL FP drops. If you say you are seeing the drops approximately 11 am -12 pm, Im guessing I need to be done with my three FPs by the drop time in order to pick up SD or TSM, is that correct? Thank you so much for this new (to me) information.

Happy you had a great trip!

Another tip is that when rides go down due to a storm try adding FP's for the easiest to get ride for the group. Get that FP for a close time and it will likely convert to an anytime FP. Those anytime FP's are so valuable for a larger group. Do this multiple times if you can during the storm.

Just be careful with this strategy. An anytime FP will not be good for the most popular rides, unless your original FP was also for said popular ride. IOW, you can't have a journey into imagination FP become an anytime FP that could be used on Frozen.

I love the refresh strategy! I was in line for TSM and at 9:30am got an SDD FP for 9:40. I think someone traded their time for a later one.

I worked with a lady one morning in line for FOP, I was teaching her the refresh strategy. She wasn't seeing any new times & I was moving up & changing my FP options. I eventually figured out that she wasn't looking at the right place on her screen to see if a new FP time was offered or not. I think she wasted 20 min. and thought she wasn't having any luck.

Last edited:
I love the refresh strategy! I was in line for TSM and at 9:30am got an SDD FP for 9:40. I think someone traded their time for a later one.

I worked with a lady one morning in line for FOP, I was teaching her the refresh strategy. She wasn't seeing any new times & I was moving up & changing my FP options. I eventually figured out that she wasn't looking at the right place on her screen to see if a new FP time was offered or not. I think she wasted 20 min.

Hi. Does this mean you only had one FP booked that morning? I thought you needed to go through all your FP before getting a fourth one and thst you couldnt just book one top tier one and then try for a second top tier.

Thanks so much. Leaving in three weeks so want to be prepared.

Hi. Does this mean you only had one FP booked that morning? I thought you needed to go through all your FP before getting a fourth one and thst you couldnt just book one top tier one and then try for a second top tier.

Thanks so much. Leaving in three weeks so want to be prepared.

I was trying to move it up. I had probably snagged an SDD for around 3pm on the bus that morning or the night before (when I have had the most success getting the hard to gets). But knowing there was a 9:30 drop, I was refreshing constantly in line across the street.

I was trying to move it up. I had probably snagged an SDD for around 3pm on the bus that morning or the night before (when I have had the most success getting the hard to gets). But knowing there was a 9:30 drop, I was refreshing constantly in line across the street.

Thanks so much! That was great to move it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter