Just back, few thoughts and many thanks.

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
We got back yesterday from our 6 th birthday/40th annivsary trip with 2 grandsons , son and daughter in law (who is 7 months pregnant). This is not a day by day, but just over all comments.

In the past few months, I've asked about traveling while pregnant, wheelchairs, minnie vans, food delivery services and I'm sure a few other topics. Thank you to all who responded, gave advise, and great ideas.

My DDIL did just fine. A few times, DH walked and DDIL used the wheelchair for 20 mins or so. A few days were really hot , thus harder on her. We spend time in AC and I packed tons of liquid.

Food delivery - We used Safeway. I was not happy with the service. The food was fine, but it was delivered to the Contemporary, not BLT. I had Bay Lake Towers as part of the address. The order was placed in several different spots. Took bell services three tries to get all the items. Imagine when I spent $160 and 6 little plastic bags show up? Umm where's the rest?? The 2 cases of water, the three packs of juice pouches, the 3 cases of soda, etc. Then I realized there were some cold items missing too. I did get it all, but it was a bit of a worry.

Minnie vans- I've mentioned this in another thread, but anyway to repeat. We wanted to use them to get to water park. I know nothing on how to order them except you need some app. We go to front desk. We tell them it will be 3 adults, 2 kids in car seats. We are told we will need TWO minnie vans. Speaks with someone else, yes, that's correct ---Two minnie vans. With two car seats, you can only fit 5 people and one is the driver. Well, that's not gonna happen. Son is looking at other ways to get there. I'm looking at disney website site and here. The advise I was given here was that, that was BAD information. I go back to front desk and show them where is says on the disney site, the vans hold 6 guests. She tells me that the website is wrong. Some people still think the cost is $20 too. But by chance a manager was near by and I guess got a word here or there. The manager said, only one van is needed. And yes only one van was needed. Now a word of advise......we brought the sit and stand stroller with us. Since the car seats had to be moved from the back, we figured there would be space. The trip going the stroller fit fine. The return trip, it didn't. Turns out the 2018 vans are about 3 inches wider than the 2017 vans. We ended up laying down part of the third seat and putting the stroller in that way. So depending on how many in your party and how big your stroller is, you may have issues.

Celebrations-----booking vacations you are asking if you are celebrating anything. Well, we were, two weeks late for DGS 6th birthday and two weeks early for our 40th anniversary. Interacted with front desk several times (mostly just checking if room was ready) and no one said "oh I see you are celebrating......we have some buttons for you"...no card in the room or anything. Why do they ask if they aren't going to at least SAY something like... I see we have a birthday boy.

We went to Ohana and Crystal palace, at first nothing was done. Well nothing at all at Ohana. Not even the singer asking who is having a birthday etc. At Crystal palace, nothing was done, but I did see some cupcakes on some tables and at least one happy birthday song. As we were about to leave, I tracked down a manager. I asked for a cupcake for my DGS. Yes, I know it's a stupid cupcake, but I still wanted it for him since others had the whole singing bit done. And by the way, no more mickey confetti on tables for celebrations.

Fast passes ----my DD did a wonderful job of finding FP for us from home. DH and I hardly went on rides all week so the kids could have extras. DD found some for FOP, the Navi ride and Frozen ride , the night before. The one ride we cancelled but couldn't get again was Mine train. DD had made FP 60 days in advance but almost every day there were changes. Instead of leaving at 9 like we planned two weeks ago, we are now leaving at 10 and FP needed to be moved. Or we went to water park and that 3 pm TOT won't work. DD took care of that. She also did the 4th or 5th FP of the day.

Mobile food ordering.. I did it...that's a big statement right there. I stood outside Electric Umbrella, ordered, went inside, got ketchup, napkins, etc. Waited 5 mins or so and had my food. Meanwhile the normal ordering line snaked all over the place.

Transportation -- We did really well on this trip. Never waiting more than 7 - 10 mins for anything. Few times, walked up just as the bus got there. We did have to take a bus to go from Epcot to DHS and it seems they were going by way of New Jersey. It felt like a much much longer ride than when we took the express bus from DHS to Epcot. Never had any issues with the monorail breaking down. Of course we only used it maybe 4 or 5 times. Staying at BLT, we walked to MK most of the time.
One night on the bus, DGS age 2 was having a meltdown, another guest gave him a glow stick wand. A brand new one, she cracked open for him Not one that she had used for hours and was about to fade out anyway. As she got off the bus, she said, "Us grandmas have to stick together".He carried it around for two days. Waaaayyyyy pass glow time. If you're out there, thank you again.

Water parks-----I hate sand. Let's repeat that I hate sand. But I am the grandma.. I went to hold stuff, watch kids, give mom and dad chance to do bigger rides. We went to both parks...BB was empty according to my son. No or very little waits on slides. Few days later we when to TL and it was busier but still very short waits. At BB I was apart from the water and activities. At TL, I was in the midst of the kiddie stuff under a giant umbrella. About 2 ft away from the "river" that is about 3 -5 inches deep. Like on endless puddle to walk through.
There was a discussion here about towels. I was ready to go without towels. CM at front desk, told us to bring towels. We brought towels. At BB, we asked and was told we didn't need to pay for towels. When we got back to hotel, (different crew on) asked again. yup, need to pay for towels. When we went to TL, I brought a couple of towels , just in case, but never needed more, so didnt ask at TL if we would have to pay. I really don't like when you get different answers.
A family was going home and had a bunch of snack credits left. He bought a tray full of mickey bars and just passed them out. My DGS thanks you.

Resort - We stayed at BLT standard view. And for the second time running. DS got a text on the bus, his room was ready. We had to wait a few hours. Still it was maybe 1 or so and we had our room, so no complaints. DS has a great dead on view for fireworks. Our rooms was about 8 doors down, so we could see the fire works but had to turn our chairs to look toward the right. But it was great to watch them every night from our room.
House keeping was fine, not perfect, but fine. We had a full cleaning and T&T. With full cleaning we got several sets of toiletries, but no spoons,forks. T&T, we got one set of toiletries and a boatload of spoons , forks, knives. Trash was removed every day. One day DH was in the room, there was a knock, not banging, not constant tapping, just a knock. DH got up to answer (and I'm sure that took a min or two or three) and housekeeping ASKED about coming in to get trash. No demanding to be let in or else. I'd give them an A-. One point off for lack of utensils, during full cleaning.
By the way , we got real mugs and glasses. Wrapped paper plates, bowls, and to go cups. All plain white. No disney logo at all. At the CS in contemporary, they uses to have silver full size plastic ware. Now it's the cheapy black plastic stuff in a bin.

Meals We only did two TS Ohana and Crystal Palace. We got the bread and salad. then the coconut race started. Half the table left. The noodles, etc arrived. Not a very big amount at all. When the other came back, the dish was emptied in moments. We asked for more. They brought another tray. What I don't understand , the second tray was bigger than the first. Seems it should have been the other way around. Anyway, I had the chicken and steak. I liked the steak better. Don't like shrimp at all. DDIL ate some of everything and enjoyed. Dessert was a big hit as usual. As far as entertainment, the singer wandered around singing and did one coconut race. Nothing else. No dancing lesson, no happy birthday , no mention of anniversary.

Crystal Palace, food was good, but 2 yr old wasn't happy so I spent more time with him than eating. Big hit for him, was we got some dry cereal and he spent time taking cereal from bowl and dumping into popcorn bucket. I dumped it back into bowl and he did handful by handful back into bucket. It took a long time for all the friends to come by. We get a few and then there was the march thing. Then the table visits seemed to get messed up. Instead of Pooh being two tables away, he was across the room. But we did get them all.
As mentioned before, no celebrations mentioned until I asked for cupcake for DGS.

Security - We brought half the house every day. I bought a cooler that was about 18 inches square. We carried about 8 cans of soda, 6 juice pouches, 6 bottles of water and string cheese. Then there were fans, rain gear for people and stroller, couple of little toys (like cars),diapers, change of clothes for toddler, autograph books, snacks (chips, cookies) I usually took out a few things and let them take over and 99% it was ok. We had one guard that checked and checked and checked. My DDIL had a small purse (about the size of a diaper). He asked her to open it , she has two small gift bags inside, he asked her to open them. She had a glasses case, had to open that too. Then after all that, she put everything back, picks up her phone and walks thru the xray. Of course that set it off. Instead of having her put the phone down and walk through again, they wanded her.

All in all, 6 yr had a super time. Only disappointment was he was an inch too short for rocken roller coaster. 2 yr had a good time. He like the rides he went on, but almost as happy following any birds while calling them all ducks. Little hard and disappointing for DDIL, it was hot and not many rides she could go on. DH and I chased kids, pushed stroller, and got to spend extended time with the boys. By the end of the trip , as we were in two different lines to get our cars at different locations. 2 yr old decides he needs to be with papa and drags his little suitcase over to our stuff. We gave him a kiss and sent him back and he dragged his suit case back again.

And as always, there is we should have done this , instead of that. We forgot to do...... But there will be other trips. Only next time there will be three kids.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip! I appreciate it! We are headed down in August and I am planning on using the Minnie vans for the six of us, one in a car seat, I saw your posts on the other thread and followed since we certainly do not want to have to take two vans! We also had the same problem on our trip with my son celebrating 7th birthday. It was noted and mentioned again at check in and yet nothing. Five years ago we were down there for my daughter’s first at cape May breakfast and goofy came out to sing and give her a cupcake. Maybe they only do that for first birthdays?

Thank you for taking the time to review your trip! I appreciate it! We are headed down in August and I am planning on using the Minnie vans for the six of us, one in a car seat, I saw your posts on the other thread and followed since we certainly do not want to have to take two vans! We also had the same problem on our trip with my son celebrating 7th birthday. It was noted and mentioned again at check in and yet nothing. Five years ago we were down there for my daughter’s first at cape May breakfast and goofy came out to sing and give her a cupcake. Maybe they only do that for first birthdays?

We were at Crystal Palace in Nov and I got a cupcake. No singing, but it even had a candle.

I just would like to know then what is the purpose of asking if we are celebrating something.

We were at Crystal Palace in Nov and I got a cupcake. No singing, but it even had a candle.

I just would like to know then what is the purpose of asking if we are celebrating something.

Guess it goes with the inconsistency in information or protocols that seem to be everywhere...... we had issues when waiting for the 6:30 am character meal bus back in 2015 before the digital bus times were installed. The CM AT THE BUS STOP at beach club had no clue a 6:30 am MK bus existed and told us we were wrong...he said no bus was expected until 7:15am and said if we needed to be at chef mickeys at 7:15 we needed to take a taxi. As we were walking back to bell hop to get a taxi at 6:29 am A BUS pulled up for the MK!!! When we boarded the bus driver said they have been running this 6:30 am bus for a long time!!! Nothing new......
we are going back in August and it will be my son’s birthday again....his birthday is noted on the reservation. Guess we will just be surprised to see if anything happens!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter