Just back from 4 nights at AKL, any questions?

1HourAway

<font color=blue>Walt Jr.<br><font color=red>You c
We had a great time - the resort is beautiful, although did not get to do as much around the lodge as we would have liked.

Just some thoughts and observations.

The rooms are dark. All the lamps have thick, opaque globes. But didn't find this to take away from the atmosphere.

Had read about noise from 'toilet flushing', we could hear toilets flushing, but was muted and was not loud or distracting.

The A/C worked great - no motion sensors!

The CM's were all very nice and friendly. We had booked a standard view, but upgraded to a pool view. I inquired about a savanna view. The CM made a call and found they had a couple available and for an additional $10 a night we could be upgraded. We jumped at it, and had a Zebra Trail room - overlooking Uzima savanna, third floor. A short walk to the stairs or the elevator to the pool. (We almost always chose the stairs) Our room was available right away - We were settled in and at the pool by 2 pm.
Plus - when the final bill came we were never charged for the upgrade!

We had giraffes, ankole cattle, tommies, blesboks, bongos and impalas, plus numerous birds in the savanna. A watering hole almost directly in front of our room. The ideal time for wildlife viewing seemed to be around 5 pm each evening.

We enjoyed the night vision on the savanna, the storytelling, plus we won the trivia game in the Sunset Overlook room one night! DS (14) and DD (10) won some animal beads and enough regular beads to make bracelets.

No towel animals. (But seeing as we have never gotten them, no big loss) My DD's stuffed animals were arranged differently every night. No turn down service the first 2 nights - but we did receive it the last 2 nights - the mousekeeper apologized and said we should have gotten it every night - she left extra chocolates for us to make up for it! LOL

On the balconies there are 2 chairs and a small 3 legged patio table about 18" high. We noticed on more than one occassion that small children would climb up on top of the table to see over the railing and then the table would fall over. We either witnessed this or heard it 8 different times while outside on the balcony. Commented on this to the mousekeeper - she said she would talk to her boss - the next day she reported to me - that security is aware of this (there are cameras overlooking the savanna and balconies!) and if they witnessed children climbing on the tables - the guests would be asked to leave. It seemed to be quite dangerous - heard many kids crying.

Sorry to be so long winded - any questions?

Hi there

Glad to hear that you had a nice stay at AKL - I am booked in there for 3 nights in December.

Do you have to ask for Turndown service on check in?

Many thanks

I was told by the mousekeeper doing turndown that you do not have to request the service. You are supposed to get it nightly, however she was off the first 2 nights of our stay and she didn't know why we didn't get turndown. She was very pleasant, and cheerful. We found all of the staff to be very friendly.

By the way, we ate at Jiko's - The food was fantastic and our server's name was Adil - he was very helpful with our wine selection.

We'll be at AKL in just under three weeks for the first time... am wondering about breakfast buffet. We're usually early risers and want to try and take advantage of early entry for the MK and EPCOT. What did you want to do at the lodge that you didn't get to (didn't have time to?)? Thanks!

When we stayed at AKL we never got turndown service. I really think you have to request it.

I thought turn down service was only for concierge!! We are staying in 2 deluxe savannah rooms the first week of Dec. Would like this service if there's no additional charge!

Turndown is available at all the deluxe resorts. Call mousekeeping to request it.

I thought all the Deluxes offer turn-down, not just concierge, but I DO think you have to ask for it.

Snap :)

Oh, and I forgot to say anyhow...there is no extra charge for turn-down :)

I don't remember what their little snack food place is called, ( I guess it's the Mara) but did you notice if they had flavored coffee creamers? You'd have to be a coffee drinker to answer this one!! We are going there in Dec. and it sure would be nice if I didn't have to pack those little individual coffee creamers. Since they are liquid there is always the possibility of them leaking. I do put them on a plastic bag but it still makes a mess if one leaks!

We stayed at Contemporary in April. First night we had turn down and nothing after that. DH asked at front desk and they said it had to be requested. No problem after that.

DW Mouser - on our most recent trip to AKL (jun 2002) they did not have any flavored creamers. I know because we always use them at home! Unless it has changed since then I would suggest you bring your own.

DW Mouser - on our most recent trip to AKL (jun 2002) they did not have any flavored creamers. I know because we always use them at home! Unless it has changed since then I would suggest you bring your own.

What were your thoughts re the pool?
Also...could you give a little info about the "night vision"...
Thanks much and so glad you enjoyed your stay!!!

Dw mouser - I don't know about the creamers in Mara - I called mousekeeping and requested a coffee pot in the room as soon as we got into our room. I was only in Mara once and did not notice the creamers.

4407mark - The things we did not get to do at the lodge, but would have liked to have done were the tour of the resort, and speaking to the animal handlers and staff. They have many activities throughout the resort - games at the pool, animal feedings, etc. Would like to have done more of those activities. We ate at Boma's for the breakfast buffet our last morning. Saturday and Sunday mornings the place was packed - Tuesday morning nearly empty. They offered a large section of sweet pastries, fruit, bacon and sausage, scrambled eggs and very good potatoes with onions!!. Cereal, and 3 kinds of hot oatmeal. They will cook eggs and omelets to order. Belgian waffles and different breads. They also had breakfast flatbreads - flat baked breads topped with eggs, cheese, veggies and meats. They were very good! Also a 'bushman skillet' which was veggies, eggs and meats cooked in an iron skilet!! Tasty and pretty spicy!

Jinnyboom - We loved the pool! They have a large hottub and a smaller one hidden away too! I won't tell you where - look around for it though! The Dkids liked the slide, but not nearly as much as the one at BWI. The nightvision - The was one monocular - and guests lined up to use it. The line went quickly. The animals were well lit anyway with all the lights on the savanna, but it was cool to look through. We arrived at 10:30 - the nightvision session started at 10:15. So the CM makes sure everyone got to use it.

As for the turndown service - I never requested it. Mousekeeping knocked on our door around 5 pm the third night and asked if we were ready for turndown - or should she come back later. I of course, said we were ready now. She was very friendly and apologized to us because we did not get the service the other nights. She left chocolates and a little card on the queen bed (we had bunkbeds) with an African proverb and animal artwork.:D

Glad you had a great time! We loved AKL when we stayed in may and I can't wait to go back!! :)

Welcome Home! :)

thaks for the report we will be there Dec 5 th and 6 th ! can't wait.. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.. Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter