Just back from Atlanta/SSR/HHI--Warning, LONG!

disynut

DIS Veteran
We just got back last night from our "last minute" trip. We weren't planning on a spring break trip this year, but about 5 or 6 weeks ago we sat down with our calendars and were trying to plan a summer trip to Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach. Between school(DH and I are both educators), little league, and the swim team there was no time to vacation this summer! So we decided to go somewhere spring break. Since I only wanted to go somewhere that had a very good chance of being warm this time of year, we decided to do wdw with some stops. Here's a short trip report:

Me; 33 yo,navigator, planner
DH: 37 yo, driver, videographer
DS: 7 yo--his goal was to see Power Rangers and swim
DD: 2 1/2 yo--her goal was to see the Princesses and Mickey Mouse(there was not a meal with the princesses to be had at all--I called numerous times for anything on any day we were there and got nothing, but I wasn't expecting to--I know how that goes)

Saturday: We stopped in Atlanta on the way down and dh and ds saw the Braves on opening weekend play the mets, then we went to the Georgia Aquarium the next morning. The Aquarium is really good. DH and ds enjoyed the game as well. We stayed at the Omni and it was very nice.

Sunday: After walking to the Aquarium(in 30 degree weather:scared1: )we headed to wdw. We arrived on property around 6 pm, and I knew it had been debated here, but didn't know the final answer, but I do now....they do not preassign rooms at Ssr(at least that's what they told me). I had requested nonsmoking and Springs section. The only thing the girl had left was in the Carousel. She told me the walk was not bad, but she understood why people didn't want to stay there! Honestly, we had our car so it wasn't a huge deal. And no, I didn't make a big deal out of it at check-in---I just politely asked if there was anything available in the Springs section or Congress Park and that's when she told me that rooms weren't preassigned and that I could probably move the next day if I wanted. Once we got to our rooms dh and I were both pleased and didn't think about moving. We actually went on to MK that night and did a few things after getting our traditional Papa John's pizza after check in.

Monday: We did the MGM thing--with FP crowds were manageable. Kind of chilly! That night we headed over to Community Hall to hang out. Ds loves Community Hall!

Tuesday: Went to Publix and got a few groceries, and shopped at the outlet mall. That evening we went back to MK in the rain, thinking maybe the rain would have slowed people down...nope! Still lots of crowds!

Wednesday: Played mini golf, went to EPCot and ate at San Angel Inn--pretty good! That afternoon ds and I went and swam and did laundry while dd slept. Back to Community Hall that night!

Thursday: Went to AK. Tried to see the first Nemo show but were too late--as we were getting in line the workers told us we would probably not see that show. AK was crowded today. We used FP and did the usual KS, KRR, and saw Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger. Here, one of the photographers gave our PhotoPass to the family ahead of us!!! I knew she was flustered because something was going on with her camera, she had to call the other family back to take another picture as she couldn't get something to work. The other family was wanting lots of different poses, so I guess she just got confused. I was worried until they told us we could go to the photo place and they'd find it for us. I hope that other famiy keeps up with both of their cards 'cause one of them has about 50 pictures of our kids on it!They did locate all of our pictures and gave us a new number.
That night we headed over to Downtown Disney and did a little shopping then took the kids to the main pool for some "sliding" fun.

Friday we headed to HHI. Travel on I95 was horrible, lots of slow moving traffic, then would speed up again for no apparent reason. HHi was very nice, we were kind of wanting a "preview" to see if we'd want to return and we definitely will. DH is a huge golf fan, as well as history buff, and that area is full of history. We headed over to see the ocean and the kids loved it(their first view of the ocean up close).We got take out at Scot's Fish Market, which was good. DD at this time was at meltdown stage, as she didn't want to nap in the car, so eating in the room proved to be a good move--she was in bed minutes later. DH and DS went out walking around and Dh was impressed wth the resort.

Saturday: Got up and took the kids back to the beach to play. They loved it and we stayed about an hour. Went back to the room and got packed up and left. Went down the road to Stacks and ate a good breakfast--yum! Then headed on the road. Travel was at a standstill for over an hour and a half as we got back on I95 due to a very bad wreck. We saw the cars as we drove by. It was awful. I really hope the people that were in that wreck are okay. The cars looked really bad. One was an suv that had a lot of luggage and pillows and things in it. You could tell they were on vacation. Gives me chills. We've driven down the last three spring breaks and every time we've seen a lethal-looking wreck. Last year the LifeFlight helicopter was there, this year the jaws of life. Makes me want to get back on that plane. Then as we were coming down the other side of the mountain on Monteagle, TN a tractor-trailer had caught on fire--looked like the driver was okay though. Got home around 11PM. Very tired and swearing next time, we'll fly!

Things I Noticed:

*Rain does not slow down the crowds at WDW

*It was colder this Spring Break than the last two

*Our Spring Break doesn't usually fall around Easter--this year it did and I could tell the difference in the crowd level

*THe shower curtain idea in the studio is a great idea--dd went right to sleepafter we closed the curtain!

*Studios are noticeable bigger at HHI

* I missed the one bedroom, but we managed better than I thought with a studio

*Carousel was pretty far from everything but was doable with our own car. If we hadn't had our car it would have been a hassle to swim. It even seemed pretty far from the closest quiet pool. Last year we were in the Paddock and I didn't mind that walk at all, and we were very close to the quiet pool. Please don't flame me! It's just my opinion!

* Flying has become a hassle in the last few years, and I am all for the steps up in security, but it has led us to drive the last few times. The last time we flew was in Dec 05 and after a horrible experience at the Orlando airport, including among other things my infant daughter being flagged to be pulled over and searched more thoroughly we've avoided it, but I'm ready to get back on the plane! Driving wears me out--and dh does most of the driving!

I tried to keep this short, but it reads like a book, so if you're still here, thanks for sticking it out! If anyone has any questions, I'd love to try and answer them!

Jennifer

Glad you had an enjoyable trip and managed the crowds pretty well. I'd love to hear the showe curtain idea too!

I enjoyed your trip report . As you can see we are also in Kentucky.We were in Atlanta and then Hilton Head the week before easter. DH fell in love with HH and is already planning a return trip there for spring break 2009 (we are doing a cruise and disney with our neighbors next spring break). We were fortunate to get to do Atlanta and the aquarium before the cold hit. Just curious why you didn't get to see the Nemo show. Was it too crowded or was the show closed the rest of the day? We are hoping to see the show this summer.:)

Hi everyone! Nisiemouse, which part of KY are you from? We're in western ky.

The shower curtain idea may have come from the Family Boards here on the DIS, I don't remember, but if you have little ones that may not want to fall asleep if they know you are still awake, this idea worked perfect for us: we positioned the packnplay in the front foyer of the studio, hung a tension rod in the hallway and hung a cheap shower curtain on it--that way she had a little privacy and when the curtain was closed she went to sleep like a charm! The night before at the Omni we just had the pack n play there in front of the beds, and it didn't matter that we were trying to sleep, too---she could see us and thought we should get up and play! If she can't see us, she thinks it's time to sleep. Ds used to be the same way as a toddler---I guess I've just gotten my kids so used to sleeping alone in their own room. Oh, and the tension rod won't cause damage to the walls.

We missed the first Nemo show because it was full---the rest of the day we just got busy doing other things and didn't get back to it. It was really hot and really crowded that day so we just decided to wait and see it another time. Gives us something to look forward to for our return visit in October!

We are in Lexington. We love going in October but this year we are going in June because dh has to go down for a meeting close by and then he will join us. Thanks again for the great report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter