Just back from HRH

The Hunt

DIS Veteran
We just got back, and I'll do a trip report, but I thought a couple of things were worth mentioning.

We got our reservations through AAA ($148/night for a standard room). I signed up for Loews First before arriving. At check-in, which was at about 10:00 p.m. on Thursday night, I asked if there were any upgrades available, and was upgraded to the club floor. What a deal!

Express access was a dream. We did almost all the rides we wanted to do at both parks on one day (no coasters for us), and we did Men in Black twice. At quite a few of the rides, all the Express passes for the day were already gone.

We had an excellent lunch at Mythos and very good dinner at Sunset Grill. The only downside was when we tried to return to Sunset Grill for dinner on Saturday night. We learned that this was a character dinner, and the place was mobbed. The host didn't tell us the truth about how long it would take to get a table (he said 15-20 minutes; we got fed up and left after 45). There was only one character at a time (with a large time lag between, which makes me think there was really only one character, if you know what I mean), so maybe nobodywas leaving, in hopes of seeing a character. We went back upstairs and got room service, which was relatively prompt and tasty.

With only that reservation, I would heartily recommend HRH, as long as the Express access perk is included.

Welcome back, The Hunt!!

Wow, your one downside would have been my son's DREAM! We tried for a character dinner but there were none during our time there!

Otherwise you sounded like you had a great time!

What is involved with club level? Food etc?, Special rooms? Also new to universal and staying at hrh for 1st time, you said express passes where gone? Do you mean the passes for resort guest or all visitors? Is there only 1 express pass type ,or is psuedo fotl still in effect for resort guest? Thanks so much, 16 more days and we'll be there! MKY:)

Resort guests use their room key for express access-- they are good for as long as you are staying at the hotel--including the day you check in and the day you check out.

Welcome Back! Very nice upgrade that must have been a nice surprise:D
Okay so tell me what did you eat at Mythos and the Sunset Grill? Thanks

Could you give more details on the hotel please. I have reservations during Thanksgiving at HRH and Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. I am trying to figure out which one we want to stay longer in. When I look up HRH I'm not sure exactly what it has in theming, I've seen one website but I'm sure there are others. Does the inside has a theme? Are there lots of extra charges, parking heard that was $5, etc? What is the pool and jacuzzi like? How far it is to walk to the parks? Is there any fast food places in Universal Walk so we can have a quick meal? ( I don't like sitdown when I am in a rush) Everyone says that the express and FOTL service make it the best and it sounds fabulous! At the moment I have Wed and Thurs night of Thanksgiving there and then Friday to Sunday at Caribbean Beach Resort, but I am thinking it might be busier on Sat so we should change and go to HRH on Friday to Sunday, not sure!

Any help would be great!

Jenn

I'll try to answer a few of the questions, but I'll put more info in a trip report in a day or two.

We didn't see a non-club floor room, but the room was not very big, so I doubt if the room itself was much difference. The main amenity is a lounge, where they have a continental breakfast, wine and cheese in the afternoon (which we never made it to), and milk and cookies in the afternoon. They would also give you a soda or bottled water when asked. They had a CD library, and you could check out CDs to listen to in your room. There was also a concierge there, but I'm not sure just what they could do for you. They were unable to sell park tickets, for example. I wouldn't pay much extra for the club level, but it was nice being there.

Your room key is an Express pass to all the rides with Express lines (which is most of them) at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, even if the regular Express passes have all been given out for that day. You get in the same line with people who have timed Express passes, but you don't need a pass--you just show the room key to the attendant. It is a tremendous benefit, and is worth switching resorts for if you are planning to visit the Universal parks.

We only ate sitdown meals, so I can't comment on the fast-food options, but there were plenty of them. Mythos did not take all that long (our server was Hermes, so I guess he was pretty fast).

We used valet parking, which was $10 per day (plus tips). When we called down for the car, it was always there by the time we made it outside.

We didn't make it to the pool because of the weather, but it looked nice, with a slide. On Saturday nights, they have a "float-in" movie at the pool, but it was cancelled because of rain.

And Robin, I feel I have to emphasize that the Sunset Grill 'character dinner' seemed extremely lame. Woody Woodpecker was there for a while--then he left, and for a long time, at least a half hour, there were no characters. Then Scooby Doo came in. There were a ton of people too, so the interaction had to be minimal. You could get better character interaction in the parks. Unless this is significantly changed, I would not recommend it to anybody.

Jennifer W.,
I have stayed at both the Caribbean Beach Resort and the HRH. The HRH wins hands down. No comparison. It is a VERY short walk to the parks. Just go out the gate behind the pool. Five minute walk to US and maybe 10 minutes to IOA.
The theming is music memorabilia. They have things all over. Also music is always playing---even under water in the pool!
There are "fast food" places in both parks. FOTL can't be beat!!

Too bad about the character dinner. I went to one in a restaurant at the Swan that was very much like that one, too. Two characters from the Lion King who came over the table for a few minutes. Ugh... But all my son wants is a photo op!

Jennifer, if you'd like to get an idea of the theming visit a Hard Rock Cafe. It's very similar. Everything about the hotel is new and "hip" :cool: ... even the staff is the ultimate in cool! :cool: Everything from the check in clerk to the way they label their bath stuff, they are just COOL!

Thanks for the info, sounds cool! I think I am going to rearrange our days.

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter