Just back from OKW

MiaSRN62

DIS Veteran
We had a wonderful stay ! Checked in on Sunday 8/13 at 11 am and our room was immediately available :thumbsup2 I was taken aback for a second. I really thought we'd be "roomless" until 4 pm.

I had requested a "water view" and they offered me a 2 bedroom in bldg 39. I had never stayed in that bldg before and asked if it was close to the road or if you could see the road. The CM wasn't sure. I asked if anything else was available and he stated only "golf course" views. He offered me another "ready" room in bldg 34 and I took it. It was 3422 and had a view of a big pond as well. So I got my water view after all. He had told me this room would not have a view of the water ? Oh well.....it was a nice bonus.
Room was in good shape except for the fold-out sofa bed. YUCK...it was the old spring style and very uncomfortable. Our last two stays we've had the new more comfy style sofa beds. I guess I just expected that ALL the sofa beds have been replaced by this time ?
During our stay we paid for the high speed internet, but on Tues, Aug 15 the whole broadband system sort of crashed throughout the wdw resort. I called and was told it was a major electrical problem and they were working "feverishly" on it. I was refunded the entire 24 hour subscription even though I only missed out on about 5 hours of being able to log on. I was not complaining, only inquiring about it and I thought it was really nice they offered to refund it. I was unable to have our boarding passes printed out by Concierge because of this computer system failure. There were alot of folks in the lobby trying to make dining reservations and we heard CM's telling them that they were paralyzed to do anything about it. Not sure if it's back up now.....it wasn't when we left.
But overall, we had a great stay. Did notice a HUGE influx of crowds around 8/13---I'm thinking the FREE dining had something to do with it ? EMH's were nuts. Did MK evening on Monday, and MGM evening on Tuesday.....long lines and waits of 45 min on most rides. We did better getting there early when the parks first opened.
We dined at several restaurants : O'Hana, Boma, Olivia's, Raglan Road, Cape May Cafe, Liberty Tree & Kona to name a few. Barely had any rain the entire 12 days we were there.
Can't wait to go back...........

Glad you had a nice time! Sorry to hear about the sofa bed, we didn't use ours, but in June there was the old sort in our 1 bedroom. Building 63, I think it was.

Yes, Disney had major computer problems earlier this week.

I guess we'll be dealing the the free dining crowds, next week.

Bobbi :)

Sorry to hear about the sofa bed, we didn't use ours, but in June there was the old sort in our 1 bedroom. Building 63, I think it was.
Thanks Bobbi !
Interesting........I was in bldg 62 in '04 and bldg 45 in '05 and both had the new sofa bed. Not sure what sort of rhyme or reason OKW is utilizing in replacing them ?
Have a great trip Bobbi ! We have vacationed in Aug for 4 years out of the last 6 and never saw such crowds during this time period. I'm only guessing it's the free dining ? Because we had been in WDW since 8/5 and didn't notice it get really bad until 8/13-8/14. Hoping I'm wrong and next week will be better for you :cool1:

Great Report! :thumbsup2

We are most likely staying at OKW this Christmas so Im reading everything!

Regarding the crowd level, "Oh well." This is when we could go! I'm glad you had some good time without crowds. We were able to tweak some ADR's sort of recently, Chef Mickey's breakfast, for instance, we added a 11th person to the table, maybe next week won't be THAT bad.

Regarding the sofa bed. We didn't even open ours, but because it wasn't particularly comfortable to even sit on it, I did notice a bar, the sort to pull on, I'm saying that it was the old style. Heaven help us, if that was the new style!!

We liked our OKW stay so much, I'm glad you enjoyed yours too!

Bobbi :sunny:

I did notice a bar, the sort to pull on, I'm saying that it was the old style. Heaven help us, if that was the new style!!
Not sure how to describe the new mattresses. They're really not a mattress with innersprings ? They are more like solid pads, so when you lie on them, there are no bars or springs to dig you in the back. Wish I had taken a pic when we got ours last year. This visit was def the old mattress style with the bars/springs.
Forgot to mention we got lots of "welcome homes". Once it was raining when we were pulling up so we had our car windows shut and the guard even mouthed "welcome home" to us. There were only 2 occasions when we did not get a welcome greeting. But even then, they waved. Oh, we spent 2 nights at the BC also (not the villas) and got "welcome homes" there as well.

I've stayed in building 40, you were much better off with 34 than 39. 39 is close to the road and the pond there is not as nice as the one by 34 (I've stayed in 31 & 37).

Ahhh...thanks for saying that Debbie :thumbsup2 I was really wondering......we tried to go over there to see what the view was with 39, but the way the bldgs are with the thick vegetation, you really can't peek to see what the balcony views are. You just can't walk behind the bldgs. We loved the view with #34. Thanks again.

I love any water view at OKW....

it has some of the best, my opinion.

glad you had a good stay.

You know I think I am getting to old for those fold out sofa.... thinking of changing my studio to OKW because of it.

right now have 2 standard view BWV studio. will kept one them - teenagers.

but I am seriously thinking of changing our to OKW.

Thanks Pat....we did have a nice stay. We're missing it already.

As for the pull-outs....I totally agree. Even the new ones aren't that comfy that I'd want to sleep on them all week. For kids it's ok (but even mine were complaining). I think the studios at BWV,VWL, BCV, SSR are best for a single or a couple staying there. But for people who actually have to use the pull-outs, OKW is the way to go for more comfort. Good luck with your decision to switch to OKW.

Thanks so much for your report! We are checking in next Saturday and I am so encouraged to hear that you were able to check in at 11! We will have DS who will be in desperate need of a nap once we get there so I hope we will have luck in getting an early check-in as well.

Thanks for the post!

Our DD11 and DD14 really liked the pullout sofa at OKW. We had stayed 3 nights at POR before moving to OKW and they liked it much better than the bed at POR.

July was our 1st trip at OKW and we really liked it. We were in building 46 and we really enjoyed the water view. Very relaxing.

Glad you had a great time. We can't wait to go back either. :)

We were at OKW in a 2 BR with 3 teen boys in March. I am not a fan of sleeper sofas not only becasue they are not usually very comfy but also because I do not like to have to tiptoe around in the a.m. when I get up way earlier than everyone else. So we used our queen sized Aero bed and set it up in the boys' bedroom. That way they each had a bed PLUS they and my DH and I had more privacy than if someone had been snoozin' in the living room. Aero beds are WONDERFUL!

ccw said:
Aero beds are WONDERFUL!
Gotta agree with you there. We just bought one to go camping with and it was fantastic. We are thinking of bringing ours to WDW also but it is quite heavy. Did you ship yours to WDW or did you take it as checked luggage? Or maybe your drove? We are definitly flying and debating whether we should just ship it to the resort. :confused3

We drove but had decided that even if we flew we would take the Aero bed. Had planned to throw it in a large duffle bag and check it. Have to admit that I have never done that before but can't imagine it would be a problem unless you have too many checked items to include the bed.

We checked in on the 13th too for a two bedroom around noon and they said they had already had 300 check-ins. We always stay at OKW now and love the room lay-outs and overall resort atmosphere. We've always been spoiled and had building 63 or 64 so we can be close to the main buildings- plus last time we even got an elevator! Fabulous for me when I was carrying my DD (then 4) home after MK EMH at 1 :00 a.m.!
This time we were in building 36 and had the cable shut down once, and the water turned off twice. It really bummed us out because both times were our "pool days" and we were either doing laundry or coming back to get showered for the parks for dinner. They did give us a key to a studio in building 40 across the way to shower. But lugging my two DDs and clothes and shower supplies wasn't exactly the most fun.
We also noticed how crowded it was too- but it did get better later in the week- we thought!
Oh well, even with that stuff, you can't turn a true disney lover off! We will continue to go back a couple times a year- and probably always to OKW!

This time we were in building 36 and had the cable shut down once, and the water turned off twice. It really bummed us out because both times were our "pool days" and we were either doing laundry or coming back to get showered for the parks for dinner. They did give us a key to a studio in building 40 across the way to shower. But lugging my two DDs and clothes and shower supplies wasn't exactly the most fun.
LoveMyDisneyCats,
We were at OKW the same time. Sorry your water was turned off ? We never noticed a problem in bldg 34. That must have been a pain.
As for cable---do u mean TV or internet ?

It was the TV- and it didn't really affect us that much since it was at night. It was just the coincidence that it all happened to us within the 5 nights that we were there and usually we never have any problems. Anyway, we got it back and my DD5 was able to watch the "Top 10 things to do at WDW" show for the 18,000 time. It's her favorite thing to do whenever in the room- she can even mimic the host pretty well now =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter