Just back from OKW

walter

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a ten night stay at OKW.
The good:
We always love going "home" to OKW
They are progressing with the slide at the main pool. We visited SSR and the slide was alot of fun. We can now see how it will be a big hit at OKW
Bus service was good.

The not so good:
We stayed in Pooler, GA our first night. It should have taken us approx 14 hrs. to drive there (first time driving), but arrived around 17hrs (traffic/road construction)
Got to OKW at 7:30 am to check-in. We did not get are room assignment until 5:45 pm! They blamed it on a lack of CM's (did not report for work). Spoke to two other couples that arrived 1-2 days before us and they had the same problem with the same excuse.
Our room had three lights out, a chipped vanity counter, various loose tile, bird droppings and other matter near the entry door and at the exterior- exterior finish material coming apart, various rust spots throughout the exterior including the fire extinguisher cabinet.
We love our investment, but cannot understand what happen to the service and maintenance in less than a year.
I just wonder what the true cost will be for the pool upgrades seeing how many lifeguards attend to the SSR pool.

Hmm, that's too bad about the maintenance problems. We stayed at OKW, in building 50, a couple of weeks ago and I was very happy with it. The exterior was very nice and the interior was great as well. I'm picky about bathroom cleanliness and our room was great in all respects.

I wonder if the lack of cast members was due to a the rumored strike.

On a side note, when we strolled around SSR in August, I noticed a lot of little maintenance problems. Mostly chipped or scratched paint on the hallway walls, but still this is a brand new resort and shouldn't have that kind of problem.

Originally posted by DukeStreetKing

I wonder if the lack of cast members was due to a the rumored strike.

No it's not a strike. It is a nasty sinus and inner ear infection that is going around. I have been out for 2 days now myself. I am really sorry that you were affected by that Walter.

Sorry you encountered problems. Of course, I hope they are as temporary as possible.

Will check out closely on our next visit to see if we have same problems.::yes:: :wave2:

Originally posted by LibertyBelle
No it's not a strike. It is a nasty sinus and inner ear infection that is going around. I have been out for 2 days now myself. I am really sorry that you were affected by that Walter.

LibertyBelle,

That's interesting, I have had a bad sinus problem since returning home from WDW a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was due to the short lived drop in temperature, but now I can blame it on you CM's.

;)

We just returned from OKW on the 22nd, and had none of the problems you spoke of. What building were you in? We were in 15, and it was in great shape, even though it is one of the oldest.

One thing to consider...

Routine maintenance is probably behind at Disney. The storms in September took the people who normally do things like basic fix up to do MAJOR clean up so... it will take a while to catch back up to the normal schedule. I would also assume that some of these people had to take some time off to deal with their homes after the initial clean up occured.

The storms also did a lot of "little" damage like you describe. In the Florida humidity rust occurs practically at the same time as the damage. (Tiles, nicks in paint, roofing materials etc.)

I was there a few weeks ago and there are still signs of storm damage. (Missing awnings in Epcot, the cover over the Off Kilter stage was ripped off by Charlie and is still off, incomplete roof patches at BC)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter