• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from solo trip #5-comment-and happy to answer ??

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
First off, I have to say, this is the first time I've ever stayed solo in a DVC studio and I've decided they are ideal for solo trips, especially where I was, BCV. I actually loved no maid service-MY room-no one to come in when I wasn't there. Make a second cup of coffee and sit on the balcony-Ah, heaven! Only did one sit-down this time, LTT, wonderful server, one of the better sit-down experiences I've had. My other fave is CRT for lunch, but no ressies this time. Any questions??

I love the BCV location. Did you experience LTT for lunch or dinner?

Welcome back!

Went to LTT for lunch. Dinner is a character meal, and I haven't quite gotten up the courage to do a character meal solo yet. I was thinking of trying the Cape May Cafe because I love the theme, and it doesn't seem quite as "bustling" as some of the other Character Meals. What do you think? Is that a good choice for a solo character meal?

Cape May is great but so are the others I've done solo. Crystal Palace and Hollywood and Vine. I've never eaten at Cape May solo, but I ate there with another adult and the character interaction was great. The food at Cape May is really good too :)

I hope you will write a trip report, I love solo trip reports :)

I may be going solo for the 1st time in December. My friend is in the hospital with kidney stones and may not be well enough to go 12/7.

I am an outgoing person, so I know I can strike up a conversation with someone in line, but is it uncomfortable to eat alone?

Any advise on traveling solo would be helpful. Can't decide if I should go alone or just cancel the whole trip. I am a DVC member, so I would lose my points. I have a 1 bedromm at the BWV for the week.

Thanks - Karen

Although I hope your friend gets better, please don't hesitate to go solo. I'll admit, I haven't really been totally comfortable eating sit-down meals solo, unless I'm someplace where I can "people-watch". But I've found recently that what helps a lot is to buy a little 99-cent notebook before I go, then use that time, or whatever idle waiting time I have, to jot down my notes and thoughts on the trip, hotel, meals already taken, etc. And when I get home, I have a neat little souvenier to throw into my bag of stuff (papers, guidemaps, etc.) from that trip. And since I'm an empty-nester, I just love to help out the "pack-horse" Moms, you know the ones-carrying the toddler, toys, jackets, diaper bag, etc. usually with another child in tow. I remember when I was one! Hold a door open, offer to hold their jackets while they search for something in their bag, then thank your lucky stars that you're now unencumbered. And help those people struggling with their map trying to figure out directions, like the family leaving Dinoland, trying to find Donald's character breakfast, or the couple outside Casey's Corner trying to figure out where Crystal Palace was. Stuff like that will put a big smile on your face for the rest of the day!

jkfreeman33, don't cancel your trip. I think you will enjoy touring solo. Besides there are going to be many, many people from the DIS there at the same time you will be there.

Look for lime green ribbons and lanyards and join our happy group!

Please!!!! First, I have had kidney stones 3 times, I was lucky, they passed. I hope your friend is as lucky. Second, don't loose your points, there is nothing as beautiful as Christmas in the World. I think I have been solo as often as with people. I am solo this coming up trip, but will meet up with others. I won't be with them all the time, I expect I will be dining alone at least 3 or 4 times. When I have been truely "alone" I have done many sit down meals, but I travel a lot anyway, and I am used to eating by myself. Yes, people will look at you oddly at times, but I never let it bother me. If I am in WDW, I know it doesn't get much better.

Give it a shot, and pay heed to nativetxn, be on the look out for green ribbons and lanyards, if you see one, just say hi! You won't be alone for long.

Thanks for all the great advise. I am now thinking that I will go either way. I took the suitcase out today and started deciding what clothes to wear. Must be a good sign!
Thansk again - Karen

Thanks for posting! I have been thinking for a long time about trying WDW solo, but my family is less than encouraging. I am single and I can not find a friend/family member that shares in my enthusiasm. They all think I am selfish for wanting to go.

Has anyone traveled solo in October? I want to spend my birthday at my favorite place instead of at work.

This post has given me the courage to try - I am just sad that I will not have anyone to share the memories with.

Originally posted by ilvsocr00
Thanks for posting! I have been thinking for a long time about trying WDW solo, but my family is less than encouraging. I am single and I can not find a friend/family member that shares in my enthusiasm. They all think I am selfish for wanting to go.

Has anyone traveled solo in October? I want to spend my birthday at my favorite place instead of at work.

This post has given me the courage to try - I am just sad that I will not have anyone to share the memories with.

If you absolutely HAVE TO have someone to go with - maybe you'll meet someone on the disboards who would love to share the trip with you! October is a WONDERFUL time to go - especially on my favorite holiday - Halloween. My previous 4 trips have all been during that month and they have ALL been solo!

You are NOT selfish for wanting to go, you know your likes and dislikes and you strive to achieve them. They are just jealous of your confidence and self-awareness. If you have any questions about October trips, just let me know.

As for the other posts about not wanting to eat at sit-down places. I have NEVER, not once, felt out of place and all I wat at ARE sit-down restaurants. The servers take extra special care of me and I have even struck up conversations with fellow diners.

Be proud of knowing what you want and going after it. Even if it is a trip around the World!:smooth:

I was just at WDW alone for the first time and it was great. The main reason that I went alone was because no one else wanted to take time off from work to go at this time. But I had a wonderful time. Just follow all the advise above and you can't go wrong. There's always someone willing to talk and I did get to hold a couple of babies while their Mom's were trying to fold strollers or look for things in a back pack. But the best reason for going alone is that you do just what you want to do without doing things that someone else wants to do. For instance, this time I went into every store in Downtown Disney. Had never done that before. Alos, took one day just to tour some of the resorts. They were all decorated for Christmas and it was beautiful. Just go and have a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter